Question 3 yr old in a booster in a farm truck?

agave

My husband likes to take our 3 yr old with him while driving around our 5 acres in the truck. It has no airbags, no back seat and he's not going to get hit by anyone on our property but I still don't like that she rides unrestrained and frequently in his lap. She's just too small to be bouncing around in there and he thinks I'm totally paranoid. He also thinks I'm crazy for insisting he use her seat to go to our neighbor's house. We live in the boonies our smallest neighbor has 50 acres. Most have hundreds. The only time there is more than an occasional car/truck on our road is on Sunday afternoons when the church across the street gets out.

I'm considering getting a booster for the truck for driving around the yard and in exchange he can use it in the truck or his mustang for trips to the neighbor's house or the church play ground. Recently while driving one of those stationary play cars on a play ground she stopped turned to the kid next to her and said, "Let's put on our seat belts." I'd like to keep her thinking like that even when her dad doesn't think it's necessary. In this situation would you get a booster?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would consider it, yes. I was the bad mom that let my son "drive" in similar circumstances.

babygirlsmom1005

My sister got stitches in my dad's truck when he hit a ditch in our pasture and she went face first into the dash (I very very much remember that....I ended up on the floorboard).

I'd say at the very least, yes a booster and seat belt to run around the property with.

Brianna

On the property I think a booster would be okay.

As far as driving to the neighbor's- a mom on another forum I'm on was in a similar situation, out in the boonies, no traffic & didn't buckle up the kids taking a trip to the neighbor's. Her brakes went out and she was terrified- nobody got hurt, but it just goes to show there doesn't need to be traffic on the road in order to crash or lose control of the vehicle.

agave

Thanks, y'all have good points. I'm not sure he'll go for the booster on the property unless I let him use them for the very short trips. Between our house and the neighbor's there is about 1/4 mile of road, most of the drive is driveway. I prefer tossing the kids in the wagon and walking across the pasture but sometimes he feels the need to drive. I'm thinking if I do this it will be a turbo booster. I stuck her in one at Target the other day and she looked pretty comfy in it, but confused because there where no buckles.

rxmommy

I think a booster would be totally fine on the property.

When Sophie was a baby we went out to the ranch to visit daddy and see our new calves. We all piled into a pickup with no back seat (and a stick shift, no less!) with baby Sophie on my lap. I didn't think much of it - the other option was a 4-wheeler, and that would NOT work. The muddy half-thawing corrals were SO bumpy and DH hit a bump that he didn't realize was so big and I actually hit my head on the roof of the truck. I shudder to think of what could've happened if I dropped Sophie, or she hit the dash or something. I'm not gonna force him to put 5-pts in the trucks or something to drive his kids around...but yeah, at least a seatbelt to hold them in place.

agave

Well torso girl had a growth spurt and is now even with the top slots in her spare seat. I think we are getting a RSTV soon to replace it and for use in occasional grandparent cars.

zeo2ski

Yup, booster at least. My dad took my 5 yo in his farm truck last week. The truck that every few years he has to throw it in a ditch because the brakes go. There are no seat belts, there's not even much seat left, a piece of plywood. Needless to say I was not happy and it won't happen again. I remember getting bounced all around in that truck even without hitting any major bumps/holes. It doesn't take 2 cars to make an accident, but even if the truck didn't actually hit anything, your kid could definitely get hurt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC