Daycare Transportation Question

MomToEliEm

I am having some issues with my current daycare in terms of their transportation methods. They currently have 2 passenger vans (the big ones that hold 15 people I think). They use these vans to transport 4 year olds on up to field trips and to and from school. The vans do not have shoulder belts in all seating positions and they have no headrests. Some kids have to sit in seats with lap belts only.

On all the occasions that I have seen these vans in use, I have never seen booster seats used. My oldest DD's class had a field trip recently to the zoo (4 and 5 year olds) and in all the pre-field trip paperwork, there was no mention of parents dropping off booster seats for their kids to use. I thought surely they would say something. Well the day of the field trip arrived, and they just lined all the kids up and loaded them on the van with no booster seats and some kids having to sit in lap belts.

I was not allowing my child to ride on the van (even though she begged) so I drove her myself (she has a britax regant in my car). I mentioned the reason why I was driving my child to the daycare director and she didn't seem phased at all that they might be doing anything wrong. They don't seem to concerned about changing their policy.

Even if the daycare did change the policy and ask parents to supply boosters for their under 8 year old kids, the parents would probably provide backless boosters. Wouldn't backless boosters not be sufficient for the van because there are no headrests on the van seats?

We are in Texas and as long as a child is over 36 inches (my 2 year old is over 36 inches) or 5 years old (whichever comes first), a child does not have to be in a carseat or booster. The daycare is legally able to transport these children with no boosters, but I just feel it isn't safe.

Does anyone here have suggestions on what to do in this situation. Should I push harder to see if the daycare might change their policy. Even if they at least mention to the parents that they can supply booster seats for thier children to use would be better then now where they don't even ask the parents to bring in booster seats.

Thanks,
Katy

ADS

scatterbunny

It's tough when you're in a state that has such weak CPS laws. :( I don't know that legally the daycare has to do anything differently, though. I'd maybe go so far as to present the director with valid safety information, but she doesn't have to make any changes.

Backless boosters would be bad with lowback vehicle seats. Ideally they'd have cheap highbacks for the lap/shoulder positions and harnessed seats for the lapbelt-only positions for the kids who can still fit.

MomToEliEm

Thanks for the response. I may see if I can present the director with some information on the subject. I have already given them 100 "Are you using it right" booklets to hand out, and am thinking of providing them some booster usage handouts to distribute to the older classes (well I guess it needs to start in the older 2's room since some of them are in boosters - very scary).

I am pulling my DD out of the daycare once she starts kindergarten in the fall just because I am not comfortable with the daycare picking her up from school. I am leaving my younger child there though as it really is a great center. For after-school care next year, I am going with a home daycare and have been assured that my child will ride in a booster any time she rides in the car.

sirrahn

I'm also in TX and had a similar issue with my kids' MDO several years ago. I don't think I was the only mom who said something, but looking in the parking lot, I'm sure there were also plenty of parents who wouldn't have thought a thing about it.

It's not illegal of course so really, I didn't think anything would be done besides my having to drive DS myself, but what happened in my case is that the director just said no more field trips. They do have the Fire Dept and police and other groups come in and do special presentations, but the kids don't ever leave otherwise. Of course that's a little different than daycare since it's just a short, 2 day/week thing, so it works for me! I think they *might* do still do some trips with school age kids in the summer, but I only ever have my preschoolers enrolled during the school year so I'm not positive.

twokidstwodogs

Federal law prohibits the use of 15 passenger vans for transporting school-age children to and from school or school-related events. Some states ban them for the transport of children in child care as well. (I'm pretty sure that Tennesee does, after a pretty horrific accident there that killed several small children.) Google it, and you will find the relevant legislation. And then print it out for your child care director.

I raised this issue with my child care, which had purchased a 15 passenger van for use with school-age kids. They were aware of the booster seat issue and lap/shoulder belt issue, but not the other safety issues associated with those vans. Fortunately, when I contacted them, they were already in the process of replacing it with a small bus reinforced to school bus standards.

15 passenger vans themselves pose safety issues, apart from the lack of shoulder belts and headrests. They roll easily, and have much higher rate of accidents than other vehicles. You should do whatever you can to avoid letting your children ride in them. (Like you, I'd far rather drive them myself.) If that's not possible, insist that your child be in a highback booster with a lap/shoulder belt. But really, no child should be riding in them.

MomToEliEm

Well, I looked at the link and found the laws for Texas, and it states, passanger vans are not permitted to transport kids to and from public school, but the law excempts private schools from the law. I am pretty sure the daycare could claim an exemption from the law, so they can still use the van. Public schools in Texas can still use passanger vans to transport kids to and from school related events though.

I may see how I can combine all the information into a short clear document describing the dangers. I am pretty sure they will do nothing though. Buying new buses will cost money and the daycare (church as well) will probably not be willing to fork out the money for new transportation.

I will at provide the documentation as well as push for allowing booster seat use in the shoulder belt seats. They probably won't listen to me, but at least I tried.

twokidstwodogs

Well, I looked at the link and found the laws for Texas, and it states, passanger vans are not permitted to transport kids to and from public school, but the law excempts private schools from the law. I am pretty sure the daycare could claim an exemption from the law, so they can still use the van. Public schools in Texas can still use passanger vans to transport kids to and from school related events though.

Right. Public schools only. I forgot to mention that part, but the ban on public school transportation might raise some alarms for them. I must be confused about the school-related event thing. I thought that was part of the federal law, but perhaps it's only my state that prohibits that too. (I was looking at both when I was researching this.)

Good luck. I hope you can make some progress with your center, at least on the seatbelt issue.

L

LaurenA52

I'm dealing with the same situation with a daycare I'm considering for my 2 kids. They take the 3 & 4 year olds on field trips during the summer and use the passenger vans with no carseats. I will not be allowing my 3 1/2 year old to go on any of the field trips unless I can drive him myself with him in his carseat. Way too risky, IMO. I can't believe it's not against the law for them to just use lap belts with such small children!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
What state are you in? No carseats whatsoever for kids under 4 is most likely ILLEGAL! Not only would I just call the police on them, I'm shocked they aren't concerned with liability.
:jaw:

MomToEliEm

Sorry Tiffany, I though you were asking me a question, but now see there was another poster with a similar situation.

I am in Texas. The law says a child can be out of a carseat if they are over 36" or 5 years old (whichever comes first). My 2 year old is already
36" so legally she does not need to be in a carseat or booster. It is perfectly legal here for what the daycare is doing, but that doesn't mean it is safe.

Last edited:

Lys

Senior Community Member
In SC, they have "Jacob's Law". http://www.gnslaw.com/CM/GNSintheNews/GNSintheNews18.asp
In 1994, a little boy in my hometown died when an 18 wheeler truck ran a red light a tboned the school van.
I happened to witness the aftermath of the accident and will never forget it.
15 passenger vans are dangerous in every sense and should not be used AT ALL for transportation of people.
There is NO way I would allow my child to ride in one EVER. Even if that meant the child would have to miss the field trip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC