School van driver vent

TyAndCheyMommy

My DS is 5 and autistic. He has never ridden in a booster and i don't think he is ready to.
The van driver asks every single day if he can be switched to a booster. She mentions it to him, she makes him feel like a baby for using harness....
And she takes his seat out and puts it back in incorectly.

I am so tired of all the problems. I wish I could freaking drive again.

ADS

farrbabies

I'm in Ontario. I have 2 kids that are autistic. My oldest is going to first grade and she rides a school bus as well. I didn't know you could put a carseat in the bus. My daughter had a really caring bus driver. Always took good care of her. There are no seat belts in the buses here.
How are the seats installed on the bus? Curious. My dd2 starts next year.

bella_1818

A letter sent certified mail to his/her supervisor asking for them to respond in writing by a certain date may solve the problem.

When I taught, regular parent concerns were frequently brushed off :( but anything sent certified mail had to be reviewed by a committee.

rxmommy

Does he have an IEP? Is transportation in a harness in his IEP? Forgive my ignorance if that isn't something that can be done!

I honestly don't get why people balk at buckling harnesses. Sure, if a kid can do the booster themselves it's easier, but if you have to help them, buckling a 5-pt takes what like 30 seconds longer? I've had older people tell me that they "couldn't handle" having 3 kids in carseats and don't know "how I do it" and I say it is something I am very used to, having done it for 7 years now, and since my kids are older I can get all 3 buckled in probably less than 4 minutes. It isn't a big deal. That makes them shut up. :p

mellysue

I would be pretty livid that the driver was saying anything to my child. It's one thing for them to express that to you(even though your the parent and you decide what your child rides in)
I agree with others about speaking to higher ups and making it a part of his IEP. Since this driver is transporting children I think she needs to be trained about the correct way to transport children!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Yeah, get it put into his IEP/504. There will be no commenting then, it's a legal document that must be followed.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I'm in Ontario. I have 2 kids that are autistic. My oldest is going to first grade and she rides a school bus as well. I didn't know you could put a carseat in the bus. My daughter had a really caring bus driver. Always took good care of her. There are no seat belts in the buses here.
How are the seats installed on the bus? Curious. My dd2 starts next year.

The OP's child is in a van, not an actual bus. In most states, they are required to follow the same rules as passenger cars, even though they may be part of a transport company.

There are some buses that are equipped with lap belts only, and you can install seats on them. There are also type of restraints made especially for buses, like the star restraint, by safeguard. http://www.safeguardseat.com/industries/school-transportation.php Safeguard also makes special bus seats with built in belts and harnesses.

Hope this answers your questions :)

farrbabies

Oh thank you! I thought it was the typical yellow school bus! Hey if it's a van I don't see why they can't take the time to use the car seat. Sheesh. They need car seat training so they are aware of how serious it is.

TyAndCheyMommy

The driver is claiming that the car seat is TO BIG in the van, and that other children can't sit next to it. Which is why they say the keep uninstalling it. Makes me a bit nervous what they are doing while he is riding in the van if they are picking up other kids (mine are first to be picked up)....

I called the school superintendent and we set up a meeting on Monday to discuss this with the van driver.

Ty already has it all in his IEP. So to be honest I don't even have to have this meeting... but I am trying to be nice about this all so it doesn't turn into a huge thing... I am ASSUMING that the driver doesn't know about car seat safety and doesn't understand...

ZanesMom

I agree with others to have it written in his IEP. My mom transport children with an IEP in her van for her local school system. She had a 4 year old in a 5 point harness and the child's family had it written in his IEP that he was to be in a booster in her vechile because the harness was a 'baby' seat. :rolleyes: The worse part was that my mom, and the helper the hired specificly due tothe issues with the 4 year old, had difficulties keeping him harnessed and a booster made the situation worse. :mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC