TrendZ Eurosport action pics, manual highlights and review

Pixels

Manual notes:
  • seating positions with frontal airbags must be avoided if possible
  • do not dress your child in bulky clothing
  • 22-50 pounds, 29-48 inches, capable of sitting upright unassisted, top of shoulders at or below top harness slots for harness mode
  • Baby Trend and the AAP recommend using it in harness mode as long as the child fits.
  • 30-100 pounds, 42-50 inches, 3+ years for high back booster
  • BT and AAP recommend using as a HBB as long as the kid fits
  • do not use the insert in booster mode
  • 40-100 pounds, 42-57 inches, 4+ years, top of ears below top of vehicle seat or head rest for backless booster
  • BT and AAP recommend using backless booster until 57 inches before switching to vehicle belt alone
  • only use LATCH in a seating position recommended by vehicle manufacturer for LATCH and has 11 inch (standard) spacing
  • only use vehicle front seat if specifically allowed by vehicle owner's manual
  • LATCHable up to 50 pounds (harness weight limit)
  • LATCHable in booster mode up to 100 pounds
  • when installing with tether, "front entry" (long belt path) MUST be used
  • when installing without tether, "rear entry" (short belt path) MUST be used
  • LATCH or top tether may be used in high back booster mode
  • harness and high back expire after 6 years
  • backless booster expires after 10 years

Mini review:
The seat base and body portion of the back are blow-molded. The head portion is not blow molded, but includes a section of EPS foam directly behind the head.
IMG_2003.jpg

Only one crotch strap position and length. You push down on the button to release the crotch buckle, not in like on most seats. The buckle pad surrounds the buckle completely, impeding easy access to the button. The buckle beeps for 5-7 seconds after releasing so that you know it's been undone. The battery is not replaceable, but the buckle is safe to use with the battery dead. The battery is supposed to outlast the seat expiration.

Three harness slots. The bottom slots are a bit narrower than the higher two. The bottom slots leave about 2.25 inches between the straps; the second and top slots leave about 3 inches between the straps. 11.5 inch bottom slots with the insert in, 15 inch top slots with the insert out, with the middle slots approximately centered between those two heights. Six headrest positions.
IMG_2002.jpg

The headrest is almost but not quite all the way up in this pic.

Installation with long belt path, seatbelt, was not bad. The manual says to take both the lap and shoulder belt and place it where the lap belt is supposed to go, then after it's routed and buckled to grab the shoulder portion and force it up into its proper position. Um, no, that's not what I did. The shoulder belt on the retractor side seemed like it wanted to slip up and off of where it's supposed to go.
IMG_1979.jpg

Installation with long belt path, LATCH, not the easiest. The first difficulty was figuring out how to deal with the little strap on the LATCH strap that keeps you from losing the LATCH strap. It's not long enough to go around the side and thread the LATCH strap. Instead of starting from the front of the seat like you do with the seat belt, you have to start at the back and thread each hook through its side, like this:
IMG_1996.jpg
IMG_1997.jpg

Then the next challenge is getting the hooks attached to both lower anchors. It is difficult because the LATCH strap is almost long enough. Another 2-6 inches would have been quite helpful. Once they were attached, it was not too difficult to get the seat properly tightened. Due to the long belt path, the tension indicator on the LATCH strap was showing green long before the seat had less than an inch of movement. Even after the seat was quite tight (some movement but less than an inch side to side, none at all front to back), I could pick the seat straight up off the vehicle seat and pass my arm under the seat. I didn't actually connect the top tether (required with all long belt path installs) since it was just a test install, but I imagine I could actually pick the seat up off the vehicle seat using the tether if I tried.

Short belt path installation did not work for me/this vehicle at all. With the seat belt, even after it was very tight, I could grab the seat with one hand at the belt path and move it forward several inches. I tried several times, but never did get anything close to an acceptable install. With LATCH, the anchor and adjuster are just too long. Even though my anchors are buried about an inch behind the bight, the adjuster was pulled up and hitting the belt path, preventing me from getting it tight enough. I was sitting in the seat, leaning this way and that, bouncing in the seat, and never got it tight enough. A shame, since my vehicle has a 40 pound tether weight limit and short belt path is required when the tether is not used, effectively giving this seat a 40 pound weight limit in my vehicle.

The LATCH strap, tether strap, and both harness straps have tension indicators that show green when it's tight enough. It worked well on the harness, and should work well on the tether as well. It was useless on the LATCH strap, since long belt path it showed green even though the seat had too much movement, and short belt path it was buried behind the seat and not visible.

Now for the action shots. DD is 3y3mo, 30 pounds, 35.5 inches.
IMG_1981.jpg

Head rest all the way up. Oops.
Disclaimer, we do NOT ride in the car with a helmet on. She was riding her trike in the driveway and I grabbed her for the picture.

She is right at the middle harness slots:
IMG_1982.jpg

When she grows a smidge she will need to move up to the top slots:
IMG_1983.jpg
IMG_1984.jpg

Booster mode: Note, this child meets the minimum weight and age limits, but is several inches too short to use this as a booster. The shoulder belt fit is poor, but that's to be expected with a child so far below the minimum.
Lap belt fit:
IMG_1988.jpg

Shoulder belt is up on the neck, but as noted, she is much too short for this seat as a booster. Including this picture mainly because it's the only one I have of her with the head rest in the proper position.
IMG_1991.jpg

This seat is possible to carry without it falling apart. You have to lift up on the back before rotating it to get the back off. If you thread the LATCH strap through short belt path, attach it to the LATCH storage, and snug it up, it's impossible to lift the back up and therefore it will never fall apart on you when carrying it.
IMG_2001.jpg

Overall, this seat is a miss. The low top harness slots and low top booster position mean this seat will be outgrown quickly. The difficult short belt path installation and the requirement to use short belt path when the seat is untethered will cause incompatibilites. It is an extremely narrow seat and may have some limited application for short-torsoed children when narrow is a necessity.

ADS

BabyKaykes

No one is EVER going to install that correctly without reading the manual.

Stupid chest clip...

Though I am very surprised at how much it dwarfs her as a booster.

I could only forsee using this seat to in cases of traveling with, over the Maestro, simply because you could pack it if you don't need it on a plane. Take my kid...crazy short torso, old enough to not need a seat on the plane (but I take one anyway), but once we're at our destination, too floppy to ride more than 20 minutes without falling asleep.

Try again, BabyTrend...

Pixels

She is over six inches too short for it as a booster, so I'm not surprised it swallows her.

henrietta

The best they could come up with was "rear entry" and "front entry"...good gracious!:eek::eek::eek:

I think I have one friend IRL who could install that seat correctly, but she'd be so ticked off at it that she would return it as soon as she'd tried! For everyone else, it would NEVER be installed correctly. YIKES!!!!

henrietta

Jessica61624

Yeah my dd is 4 and her torso is 14.5. She about 42 inches and 39 lbs now. She will outgrow this before she's five and barely tall enough for the booster.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm curious about the required installation methods, and how they came up with that. Many seats (heck, most) that boast a long belt path have it designed to in part reduce the head excursion, so that if you don't have a TA available it still performs better than short belt path untethered. This one is different. And not in a good way?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ketchupqueen said:
I'm curious about the required installation methods, and how they came up with that. Many seats (heck, most) that boast a long belt path have it designed to in part reduce the head excursion, so that if you don't have a TA available it still performs better than short belt path untethered. This one is different. And not in a good way?

Yeah, that strikes me as weird, too.

Jessica61624

ketchupqueen said:

Unwashed thinking the same. I haven't got my top tether installed yet and im glad I have the frontier because the long belt path. I cannot get a good install with Sbp. It seems like this will be incompatible in a lot of older cars.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That is one funky lbp! What did you think of the harness adjusters?

Thanks for the review!

Traquy

Head rest isn't in a very good position for sleeping either, seems way high. Good thing I love my Frontier and have no need for another harness seat.

Pixels

Yeah my dd is 4 and her torso is 14.5. She about 42 inches and 39 lbs now. She will outgrow this before she's five and barely tall enough for the booster.
She will outgrow the harness around age 5, but she has several inches in the seat as a high back booster and then it does convert to backless. Top booster guide position was 18.5, IIRC. I measured for the spreadsheet but the data aren't posted yet.

No one is EVER going to install that correctly without reading the manual.

The labeling on the side of the seat is quite clear. Actually, I only skimmed the manual, but there wasn't much in there with regards to routing that I didn't already know from reading the label.

On this seat, LBP is going to result in a very low pivot point, which would increase head excursion. The tether counteracts that, so it makes sense to me that they require the tether with LBP.

I'm not really sure why they allow/require LBP, other than maybe the insanely difficult SBP installation. I never did get an acceptable SBP install at all (LATCH or seat belt), and I have no problem installing the Radian in that vehicle/seating position.

Maybe it would install SBP in my center position, which is incredibly narrow. I didn't feel like uninstalling my driver's side seat to gain access to the center seat, so I didn't.
That is one funky lbp! What did you think of the harness adjusters?

Thanks for the review!

I do like the green harness tightness indicators though.

I like the harness tightening mechanism well enough. The green tension indicators seem calibrated very well, showing green when the harness passes the pinch test but not before. In some of my pics, the left strap is showing just a hair of green and the strap was marginally tight enough. Since they were just demo pics, I wasn't fussy about getting the harness perfectly tightened and actually didn't realize it until after I'd snapped the pics.

Loosening the harness isn't super easy. I would push the button in and think it was all the way, but it wasn't. That was frustrating. The same adjuster is on the LATCH strap and that was super frustrating. At one point I thought that I would be completely unable to get it out of my car and would have to figure out a way to cut it out. I was finally able to wiggle it loose enough to use it like a tilt-lock.

henrietta

The labeling on the side of the seat is quite clear. Actually, I only skimmed the manual, but there wasn't much in there with regards to routing that I didn't already know from reading the label.

I know. I saw it. I have pics of it, too, on my cell phone. But I KNOW most people I know could NOT figure it out, b/c they wouldn't look at the labels or read the manual anyways. Most people I know can't even manage to use the seatbelt thru the forward facing belt path vs. the rearfacing belt path! LOL :eek: I've reinstalled seats for more than a few folks who had the belt path routed wrong or used both LATCH and seatbelt or many other odd attachments, even when their stickers are intact and right there. They'd rather assume they know better than the manufacturer and jerry-rig it their way. ;)

I think most of BT's ideas were good on this, but it's pretty much a fail for me, b/c of the install issues and low top harness height. Booster height wise, I think it's fairly decent.

When my boys sat in it, 6 yr old was right at the top slot in the store, maybe a smidge above...and he's dead even w/the top harness spot in the EFTA. My 3 yr old was right at, or just above, the second from the top slot. I think it would have to be in the top slot for him if it were installed. He's got about 1 inch left in our Blvd. So, 15" would surprise me. The top slot is definitely shorter than the Maestro or the Nautilus (compared them all at the same time).

Thanks for the review and pics!! :)

henrietta

Kat_Momof3

total fail of a seat... Since you are a tech and your review would hopefully be taken seriously by them, I'd contact babytrend with it.

Pixels

I attempted to install via "rear entry" :cool: (short belt path) in the center seat today. Big fat no-go. This thing is worse than the Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC