Why no kids in the front seat?

Cilia

I have told a friend that no child under the age of 13 should ride in the front seat if avoidable. She has asked me why. So now I need very good arguments for why children who are under 13 should not ride in the front seat at all, regardless of proper use of CRs (in this case I think we are talking about a booster in the front seat).

I know it is safer in the back, but why exactly is is safer? Probably most far away from impact and what else? Why no booster in front of airbag? Move seat as far away from the airbag and be OK? I say no, but cannot really argue all that well for why not.

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
There was a 9 year old a couple years ago in my area, he was riding in the front seat with grandpa, leaned down to get something off the floor and they rear ended someone - the airbag deployed and he was killed instantly.

A pre-pubescent child has a far, far different bone structure than an adult does, and their body simply cannot handle the amount of force an airbag deploys with, and if they lean out of the seat at all, especially towards the airbag when it deploys, it doesn't take much to make that a fatal collision.

BabyKaykes

Aside from deadly airbags (I forget the exact number, but supposedly airbags deploy at close too 200mph), the average kid under 12-13 should be boostered or just getting out of one.

Cilia

A pre-pubescent child has a far, far different bone structure than an adult does, and their body simply cannot handle the amount of force an airbag deploys with, and if they lean out of the seat at all, especially towards the airbag when it deploys, it doesn't take much to make that a fatal collision.

But what if the car does not have a passenger airbag? Same answer?

Cilia

Aside from deadly airbags (I forget the exact number, but supposedly airbags deploy at close too 200mph), the average kid under 12-13 should be boostered or just getting out of one.

I agree, but what if they put the child up front in a booster?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Air bags deploy to the face and chest area (depending on height and position of kid or person) and a child's bone strength is not equal to that of an adult. An adult can withstand the airbag to the chest or face whereas a child might have more serious damage.

With no airbag, the child might strike their head on the door, frame or dash.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It's complicated because there are so many different scenarios: cars without airbags, cars with first-generation airbags, cars with advanced airbags, etc.

I'd be more likely to put a child in the front seat with advanced airbags than older-generation airbags. Depending on the child's age/size and the type of car, might be more comfortable having them in the front seat with airbags than without. I don't know.

Beyond that: State law might forbid it.

The back seat is going to be farther from the point of impact (and intrusion) in a frontal-impact crash, and that alone would have me keeping kids in the back.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
But what if the car does not have a passenger airbag? Same answer?

Like LISMama said - proximity to impact is going to be more of the answer there.

Also, I've heard my 12 year old stepsister's tastes in music, she needs to be out of reach of the radio at all times. :p

BabyKaykes

emma41256 said:
There's no room for the Biebs in my car!

This is why DS has an mp3 player. He asked the other day if Justin Beiber was real. My dumb butt said yes, to which he excitedly replied "then I wanna go to a concert!"

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
This is why DS has an mp3 player. He asked the other day if Justin Beiber was real. My dumb butt said yes, to which he excitedly replied "then I wanna go to a concert!"

LOL!! She has one too - but she sings along and man it's almost as bad haha.

rxmommy

Like LISMama said - proximity to impact is going to be more of the answer there.

Also, I've heard my 12 year old stepsister's tastes in music, she needs to be out of reach of the radio at all times. :p

Except in my car the kids can control the radio from the BACK! GAH! I do believe I can turn off their control though. And fortunately they are still way too short (and the ones that could are harnessed anyway) to reach the controls.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC