to short for MY seatbelt!

kitkatkc

Seriously, does anyone else have this problem? I drive an Ody 10, and my seatbelt drives me nuts. Though the belt height adjusts at the shoulder, even at the shortest setting, it hits too high on my shoulder and cuts into my neck right above my collar bone.
I am 5'4" but have a short torso. Let's just say I weigh WAY too much for a backless booster. I am 8.5 mo pregnant right now, so that seems to mke the belt fit even worse (my belly pushes the shoulder strap up a bit) but even before I got pegnant, if I didn't sit absolutely upright (as in, it gets uncomfortable) the seatbelt was too high.
Is there an easy solution to this? There have got to be other short people out there!

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'm 5'5" and, eh hem, generously curved in certain places, IYKWIM. While I'm tall enough that it seems like I should fit the seat belt, the...umm..."accessories" get in the way. Especially if I'm wearing a less supportive bra or a sports bra. So...if that may be part of your problem, that's just one more reason to go get fitted. Your back will thank you too.

carseatmom

CPST Instructor
Do your seats adjust up and down, sometimes playing with that will help. I'm not much better off then you, and I've had many belts rub my neck. I've often just had to pull my shirt up so it did rub me raw.

dneul

I have this problem too and I am 6 ft tall! AND I have a very tall torso :confused:. The drivers seat in my caravan will fit me most of the time but in the 3rd row and the captains seating it drives me NUTS!!! The lap belt rides high around my middle and the shoulder belt always hits me right at the neck. It was so bad that after driving for 20 hours and then being a passenger on another 8 hour trip (trip within a trip that was only 12 hours apart) that I took my sock off and tied it around the seat belt and buckle to just give a tiny amount of relief from the constant rubbing.

I would love to see what the solution is when the seat is already adjusted and the seat belt is in the lowest setting on the adjuster.

wavegal

i have this issue in my 06 Pilot (same height) and constantly am adjusting it to not scratch the heck out of my neck.

Kel

I'm only 4'11 and3/4 in. My ford windstar fits great. It's foot petals adjust, witch means I don't have to pull the seat up so far. It's also has height adjustments on the seat and seatbelt, but I think the petals are what realy help.

V

VanIsleMommy

I have the same problem. I'm 5'4 but 34" of that is legs, so I have a short torso. The seatbelt cuts into my neck so bad I get eczema!! three solutions.. if your seat and/or seatbelt adjusts, try to make it work. or you can get one of those seat belt covers that sits at the shoulder so it won't dig in. lastly, you can buy an adult booster, which is probably the safest option. if the seat belt doesn't fit you properly in the torso, chances are it's not sitting across your lap either. if it cuts into your tummy you have a serious risk of injury in an accident. don't worry, they're pretty discreet nowadays... some places just call them a wedge.

dneul

If you take two boosters that have a 100 pound weight limit, does it increase to 200? :ROTFLMAO:

I think I will just have to come to the conclusion that if you weigh more then 175 pounds and are over 70 inches tall and already have a long torso (some of my tshirts are mens xl tall) that there is nothing I can do. My seat is already high, seat belt on door is already at the lowest setting. My seatbelt just sucks...

JeDeeLenae

I have this problem too. I have the seat belt adjusted as low as it can go and it cuts into my neck. I constantly am using my "accessories" to hold the belt in place. I'm about 5'8" & 6 months pregnant,. Early in the pregnancy I'd get nauseous from the seat belt.

S

Sharon

Seriously, does anyone else have this problem? I drive an Ody 10, and my seatbelt drives me nuts. Though the belt height adjusts at the shoulder, even at the shortest setting, it hits too high on my shoulder and cuts into my neck right above my collar bone.
I am 5'4" but have a short torso. Let's just say I weigh WAY too much for a backless booster. I am 8.5 mo pregnant right now, so that seems to mke the belt fit even worse (my belly pushes the shoulder strap up a bit) but even before I got pegnant, if I didn't sit absolutely upright (as in, it gets uncomfortable) the seatbelt was too high.
Is there an easy solution to this? There have got to be other short people out there!
My daughter has just been given a $1078.00 fine and 4 points off her license because I the passenger has this problem - nearly 5'8 but with a very short body and straight shoulders, the seat belt cuts to my neck and drives me crazy, so I slipped part of it near my elbow but still wearing it. Caught on a camera and hence the fine - the biggest problem with these rules is if in an accident the damn seat belt would take my head off (but hey safety first right). The government should look into this as the seat belt that exists could do more damage than good, also get the car manufacturers to work on this for short bodied people.

L

Loli

My daughter has just been given a $1078.00 fine and 4 points off her license because I the passenger has this problem - nearly 5'8 but with a very short body and straight shoulders, the seat belt cuts to my neck and drives me crazy, so I slipped part of it near my elbow but still wearing it. Caught on a camera and hence the fine - the biggest problem with these rules is if in an accident the damn seat belt would take my head off (but hey safety first right). The government should look into this as the seat belt that exists could do more damage than good, also get the car manufacturers to work on this for short bodied people.
I have received the same fine, same reason. Have you appeal ? I feel like is fair enough to appeal.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Since that's not properly or safely wearing the belt, it's understandable to get a fine.

Do you need help with ideas for a better fit?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC