What is your opinion on rf tethering?

jenfrogmom

I notice some people wouldn't buy a seat that couldn't be tethered rear facing, while others don't mind if it is tethered or not. What is your opinion?

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I definitely prefer it. But, one of Kaylee's seats (Evenflo Tribute) doesn't, and I was/am fine with it. BUT, it depends on what vehicle. We have an extra cab truck without head rests and I am personally not comfortable using a seat that doesn't have some form of anti-rebound. I would not want my child rebounding into glass. So in that vehicle, it's a must for me. In others, I still prefer it and will get one if it's at all feasible. Rebounding was not something that was desired when they designed the rear facing seat. It was a side effect, and one that was deemed 'acceptable'.

JMHO.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have owned both kinds. I perfer tethering in pickup trucks where our kids are close to the rear glass. Otherwise I don't have a preference.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't really care either way. We used to have a Wizard that I think we tethered. I haven't bothered RF tethering my Radian.

BabyKaykes

I won't discount a seat that doesn't have one. But my stance is no RF tether for noobs, RF tether, if available, for over 4-6mths.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm in favor of it when allowed, and will even do it for a newborn in most circumstances.

It's not an absolute deal-breaker when buying a seat, but some form of rebound control is definitely something I prefer strongly.

hrice

I prefer it but own a variety of seats without that capability. If I limited myself to only seats that RF tether that wouldn't leave me many options.

rxmommy

I won't discount a seat that doesn't have one. But my stance is no RF tether for noobs, RF tether, if available, for over 4-6mths.

Why not for newborns? Not being at all snarky, just I've seen that on the board a few times and am not sure I know the whole explanation why some people feel that way. :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
rxmommy said:
Why not for newborns? Not being at all snarky, just I've seen that on the board a few times and am not sure I know the whole explanation why some people feel that way. :)

There's some thought that it increases neck loads. (The seat doesn't rebound, but the baby's head does.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Whereas some of us are of the opinion that the neck load increase does not outweigh the benefit of the tether. Since we have no actual numbers, it's another of those "everyone draws the line differently" areas.

christineka

After seeing the crash videos, I strongly prefer seats with arb devices. Yes, an untethered rfing seat is very safe, but I think the arb makes the seat safer. It's just my own belief, though. I have used seats that don't have arb because they work. I also do not rf tether in dh's car. I have all of my d-rings installed in my van (That way I need not move them around.), so I don't have any left to keep in dh's car. I'm okay with it.

mamakc

I prefer it, but it's not a deal breaker. Priority goes to better fit for the child, how it fits in my car, etc. So currently my only RF seat with a tether is being used FF because my non-tether seats work better for our situation.

honeydew

I tether rear facing if the seat allows it. All of my current seats allow for RF tethering, but they weren't purchased because of that feature.

mama d

I have one of each, I prefer to have my tetherable seat in the truck in the event of rebound into the back glass.

mumof2

back when my daughter was born I was given a carseat (australian safe n sound) which only RF to 26lbs.....another carseat I was looking (and did eventually get) was the cosco scenera.

the aussie seat does tether but has a low RF weight limit
the cosco doesnt tether RF but has a RF weight limit of 35lbs.

if we hadnt of been given the aussie seat I likely would have bought the cosco earlier simply because at the time it was only the higher RF carseats that was within our budget

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC