Seatbelt BEHIND back

Erika Ruth

I know someone who is 19, and 5 foot 1 inch tall. We got in the car (I wasn't driving), she put the seatbelt behind her back, and kept it super loose. I said, wow, I have been reading that that really isn't safe, in fact that can kill you in an accident. Her response is she doesn't like to be parented, and basically, I should mind my own business, as it hurts to wear it normally, and when she drives, she wears it properly. Does anyone have any articles on WHY it is so dangerous? That and putting your feet on the dash?

Thanks,
Erika

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
There are 3 phases to a crash....
  1. Vehicle crashes into object
    • Another vehicle or cyclist, a tree or building, an animal or human pedestrian, etc.
  2. Occupants impact vehicle interior
    • Ideally we should only impact seatbelts and/or airbags. Sometimes we may impact the dashboard, windows, front seatbacks, other vehicle occupants and/or loose projectiles.
  3. Internal organs impact skeletal frame
    • Brain into skull, stomach into spine, lungs into rib cage, heart into sternum, etc.
We use our seatbelts to....
  • keep ourselves inside the vehicle during a crash
    • (reducing risk of death by 75%)
  • to help ensure that we are conscious both during & after a crash
    • (puting the shoulder belt under the arm increases risk of abdonimal injury & head excursion which means increased risk of brain and/or spinal injury)
  • to spread crash forces over the strongest parts of our bodies
  • to prevent ourselves from becoming projectiles upon other passengers
Crash simulation without shoulder belt in proper positioning > http://www.childrestraintsafety.com/images/crs_images/incrt_restrnt_anim.gif

& here's a real example of Seatbelt syndrome from incorrectly positioned lap/shoulder belt

There might not be any detailed information about the feet on dashboard issue, but the vehicle manual should explain that there must be nothin between the person & the airbag -- her knees could break her face, lead to internal decaptitation, or at the very least her legs could just be shattered by the force of the airbag.

Last edited:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I could send you a picture of the scar on my forehead. (I was in kindergarten, front seat, and the seatbelt didn't fit properly, so my parents would put it behind the seat.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC