For those who have both

What would you buy a Marathon or a Radian?

• Marathon

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Radian

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

Jewels

Senior Community Member
For those who have both a Marathon and a Radian, if you could pick just one what would it be? A Marathon or a Radian? Why?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Provided it fits in my vehicle, here are my reasons for choosing a Radian over the Marathon...

1. Fits newborns.
2. Tallest top slots on Canadian market.
3. RF tether capability
4. Narrow seat - easy for 3 across
5. Low profile - helps to generate low head excursion numbers (gotta love that)
6. Low profile - Does not look babyish when an older child is in it
7. Low profile - easy for any walking age child to climb into it
8. Low profile - Tall children's heads are not touching the roof (okay slight exaggeration but you get my point)
9. Wider shoulder area than the Marathon - despite being narrower than the Marathon!
10. Have never had a problem installing with LATCH
11. As long as you know the tricks, seatbelt installs are usually pretty decent too.
12. Fantastic FF airline seat

If I think of more, I'll add them.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Oh man, I really can't choose. :) If it was RF, I'd say MA for sure due to the easier ability to adjust the recline angle, and its greater compatibility with many vehicles. The Radian's RF angle is pretty much set at 45 degrees and the recline angle takes up more space as a result. :thumbsdown: For FF, if you can get a good installation, the Radian has the plus of fitting longer height wise. DD1, whose shoulders are a bit below the Radian's top slots now, outgrew the MA by height almost a year ago.

I may have to come back and edit if I can decide which way to officially vote. ;)

LEAW

If I had to chose, and I could only have one type of seat (i.e. no Scenara to travel) then I'd go with the Radian. There are a few things I'd like to fix, like the harness being too big for the buckle tongues, and the feet on the front of the RF base, but I really do like this seat.

That being said, I have a Wizard, and I can't imagine putting my still-floppy 4 mo old with a big head in a seat w/o headwings, he really needs the support and he's too tall for the bucket.

Yoshi

Even though I prefer my Radian now that DD is a big girl of 4 yrs old- starting over, I'd have gotten the MA sooner (like infant age) and kept it until I needed something else. I like the installation better, and the fabric. I don't care for the height of the seat with a larger kid in it- it is too "throne-like". The MA is more all-purpose for ages 6 months- 4 yrs.

broken4u05

other than the tall slots on the radian i like the MA better because it is easyer to install. Fits better RF and has had less problems. And the covers are softer with more padding

ThreeBeans

I have the BV and the Radian65. I'm forced to switch to the Radians due to space issues in my car and I'm NOT happy about it.

The Radians are:

1. Painfully difficult to install
2. Have a lousy latch system compared to the BV two separate lower anchor belts
3. Are less comfortable and less padded
4. Don't have TSIP
5. Are MUCH more difficult to tighten the harness on
6. You can't adjust the RF angle to less than 45 degrees, so it pushes up against the passenger seat
7. You can't adjust the crotch strap without bruising your knuckles
8. The path for the seatbelt install is so narrow it's difficult to snake your hand through
9. have a less user-friendly top tether.

It's not a BAD seat. It's better than a lot of seats out there and with its narrowness fills a real need. But I'd rather have my BVs/WZ back :crying:

arly1983

I have the BV and the Radian65. I'm forced to switch to the Radians due to space issues in my car and I'm NOT happy about it.

The Radians are:

4. Don't have TSIP
6. You can't adjust the RF angle to less than 45 degrees, so it pushes up against the passenger seat
8. The path for the seatbelt install is so narrow it's difficult to snake your hand through

It's not a BAD seat. It's better than a lot of seats out there and with its narrowness fills a real need. But I'd rather have my BVs/WZ back :crying:

EXACTLY what she said!

tjham

I don't care for the height of the seat (MA)with a larger kid in it- it is too "throne-like".

I agree. If they made the larger Britax bases removable, ( like the 3 in 1 seats, which is the only thing I like about them) they would be perfect!

supercrunch

For a kid 4 years old or younger...the Marathon.

and if the slots were a bit higher, and it sat lower, the Marathon all the way :thumb

Mom2nj

Oh man, I really can't choose. :) If it was RF, I'd say MA for sure due to the easier ability to adjust the recline angle, and its greater compatibility with many vehicles. The Radian's RF angle is pretty much set at 45 degrees and the recline angle takes up more space as a result. :thumbsdown: For FF, if you can get a good installation, the Radian has the plus of fitting longer height wise. DD1, whose shoulders are a bit below the Radian's top slots now, outgrew the MA by height almost a year ago.

I may have to come back and edit if I can decide which way to officially vote. ;)

:yeahthat:

Almost all if it anyway, DD still fits the MA, but has more room in the Radian

momof2kiddos

The Radians are:

4. Don't have TSIP

Same thing here,I love my DC and the new marathon I ordered.I hated how I could never get the radian harness tight enough on my little guy.I always thought it was just my guy being skinny but now I see a lot of people are having that problem.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I have both. I like them both for different reasons (the Marathon is easy to install and cushy and cute, the Radian is tall and thin and folds up). I *think* if I had to choose I'd get the Marathon, but they're both good seats.

easterbun

If space wasn't a concern in my car, I wouldn't have the Radians.. so while they do have some downfalls, I have to say I am thankful they are available, or I would have found myself having to get rid of a car I love, to get something just to fit the kids, that I'd probably hate (I dislike bigger cars/SUVs/vans).

That said, the Radians are also the only seats I was somewhat okay with replacing my Boulevard with.. though as it turns out I don't *have* to, but the steel frame and higher harness slots made me feel less like I was "trading down" if that makes sense..

Loves2sing

This is a very hard call. I love both seats, as I have no problems with either of them. But I prefer the MA for longer drives, due to the plushness of the seat, but I like the fact that most kids last longer in the Radian. I am thankful that I have both, as I can use each of them for what I like them for. I chose the Radian, but I would have to choose the MA if all we had was our sunbird, as I CAN NOT get a decent install with the Radian rf, or FF. Thankfully this is not the case. (Well, it is for this week cause we sold our Focus, but the ma is in the sunbird so it doesn't matter. )

BudgieStew

I can't.
Each one suits each child perfectly. Course I can use the other one for each child as well but long term the Radian works for DS and the Marathon for DD.

Of course they offer similar options
EPS
RF harness
HWH

Radian Pros
Price
Narrowness so you can do more with the back seat.
High Harness Slots
Folds for somewhat easier storage and Travel
I like the Emergency Tag included:eek:
No base needed for FF. Easier for older child to get in.
Ease of availability at Canadian Tire

Marathon
Love the way the latches can be tightened independently.
Lock offs for it you need them.
Fun covers.
Higher Harness slots then the avg seat

Hmm I guess price wise the Radian seems like the best bang for your buck. As of yet I have not had any install problems in any car either.
I'm recommending the Radian to two of my friend's as the price of the Marathon is way too high for them.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I voted Marathon simply because it's easier to use correctly in more vehicle types -- but, I do like the Radian: it would have my vote if it could install with reverse belt path!

I like that Britax does side impact testing....

I didn't vote, because I don't own/have never owned a MA. But I can pretty safely say that IF we had another baby on the way, I would go for a 3rd Radian. I would have to fit 3 covertibles and two HBBs (PWs) into my Astro.

Oh, and Dh wouldn't be able to go anywhere with us, at least not until we could afford an 11-passenger or larger vehicle... ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC