Need help with set up in a 2012 Civic

hrice

We are purchasing a 2012 Civic next week. I will have 2 RF Radians or RF Radian /RF CCO plus Dustin in the back seat. I need to check if he five steps but let's pretend he doesn't. Would you suggest an RSTV or a Bubble Bum (he is 2# over the weight limit for)? Or what else?

Help me think this through please. :)

(I know we could choose a different vehicle but we aren't going to)

ADS

bnsnyde

I never tried RF Radian in our 2005 Civic. I know the body of that older model is a bit different. But with husband 6'4" and myself at 5'8", it was not a place I wanted to go.

I cannot get three across in mine of anything.
I have read that with 2006 or later model year it is possible.

christineka

I can get the radian rfing in the middle and passenger's side, braced on the passenger's seat. It needs to be pushed up a little. If the driver doesn't need to have the seat all the way back, you can put them both outboard. The radians don't puzzle next to each other, facing the same direction. They fit, but I don't believe you could even fit a bubblebum on the driver's side. rstv or 5 stepping (middle is the most likely spot) would be the easiest solutions.

luckyclov

With a lap/shoulder belt and adequate head support, I don't even think you need to consider a RSTV for him. Well, unless you can't find backless that'll work with your 2 RF'ers...which may be the biggest issue.

I'm not sure, I, personally, would go with the BB, either, though. Call me crazy, but being 2 lbs over the weight limit in an inflatable booster makes me a little uneasy. I think I'd be OK with it in a "regular" no-back booster.

Why not a LiteRider (or whatever they're called now)?

Can you get the RNs upright enough so that you guys will have enough legroom in the front seat(s)?

mommycat

Why won't the literider work??

How different is the 2012 from the 2007?

Would you be able to put one Radian and either the MR or CA in that car? I believe they puzzle nicely facing the same direction. I was able to sit comfortably at the wheel with a Radian installed more upright behind me (I am 5'2"), not sure if I had it braced or not since it was just a one-off trial. The MyRide fits well in the center of the Civic and the Harmony backless (that's the literider, right?) fits next to it outboard. The narrow base of the MR really works well in that respect, both FF and RF.

mommycat

Just popping back in to say, for reference, the combos I have been happy with in my Civic recently were:
FF MR / Harmony backless / HB TB
(using FF RN / Harmony backless / HBTB did NOT work)
adult / RF MR / Harmony backless
These ones I am fuzzy about, it was long ago:
RF RN / FF RN / ??
RF RN / RFMA (or Scenera) / RF RN
FF RN / FF MA (or Scenera) / FF RN
(probably tried others that day but don't recall)

christineka

I haven't tried the myride in my car yet. I was saving up money and waiting for an amazing deal, but the rstvs were an amazing deal first. Perhaps two myrides and a literider would work? Or a mr and a radian with a literider?

nutritionistmom

CPST Instructor
Ods is 4'8" and he 5 steps in our 2005 civic, although he prefers to still use his TB backless.
We have a RF Radian behind the passenger. My friend who is 5'10 can sit there comfortably, but DH is 6'3 and he cannot.
I would suggest the CCO behind the driver, RSTV in the middle and the Radian behind the passenger.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The 2012 is another new body style, but it isn't terribly different inside than are the 2006-2011 Civics.

A booster will work. I can fit (not easily, but can...) a Nautilus, RF Radian, and Vivo in my 2006 Civic. I can easily get a FF Radian, RF Radian, old-style Parkway. If those work, I would be surprised if there is no option for the 2012.

I played with a 2012 Civic and it seemed *slightly* larger in the backseat than is my car.

hrice

Thank you everyone! Our vehicle is in transit from Canada. We should have it next week. I am feeling much better after these suggestions. I hope to be back soon with a successful 3 across post!

farrbabies

This is my 3 across in a 2005 civic. I guess it is possible to get 3 in a row.

The middle seat has a shoulder seat belt. But I don't think it's wide enough for a booster. I have a turbo and it doesn't fit.

Anyone know of a narrow booster?

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
This is my 3 across in a 2005 civic. I guess it is possible to get 3 in a row. Anyone know of a narrow booster?

My Recro Vivo works well next to my RF Radian, but I have a 2006, which is a completely different body style.

If you have your middle seat be a RF Radian, you could possibly use even the wide-shouldered Monterey because its base is fairly narrow. It *might* work well next to a RF Radian. The Clek Oobr is also fairly narrow, I think.

christineka

My Recro Vivo works well next to my RF Radian, but I have a 2006, which is a completely different body style.

If you have your middle seat be a RF Radian, you could possibly use even the wide-shouldered Monterey because its base is fairly narrow. It *might* work well next to a RF Radian. The Clek Oobr is also fairly narrow, I think.

Perhaps my 2006 is a different style or something, but there is no way to fit a vivo in my civic along with two radians. The seats might fit between the doors, but the seat sticks out from where the seatbelt comes out and the seat is angled. I don't feel that having a gap between the vehicle seat back and the booster is safe. Maybe I just don't have super installing powers though?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Perhaps my 2006 is a different style or something, but there is no way to fit a vivo in my civic along with two radians. The seats might fit between the doors, but the seat sticks out from where the seatbelt comes out and the seat is angled. I don't feel that having a gap between the vehicle seat back and the booster is safe. Maybe I just don't have super installing powers though?

Strange! I don't think it is *easy*, but it works fine in my Civic. :confused: I have to have the center seat (Radian) and other outboard seat installed slightly to the right, but they are all independently secure and I can buckle the Vivo (the kids can't). The shoulder belt comes out right next to the Vivo and I don't have a gap bigger than maybe 0.25" to 0.33" inch behind the seat.

mommycat

I have the same problem and level of confidence in having the gap (meaning I don't feel ok with a gap). I know Patriot and I have tried to figure out why she can get 3-acrosses that I couldn't and it's either some difference between models/trim levels or a different approach to what is ok - hard to tell without meeting up! But no, it's not just you, I have the same issues with the Civic as well. ;)

christineka

I have the same problem and level of confidence in having the gap (meaning I don't feel ok with a gap). I know Patriot and I have tried to figure out why she can get 3-acrosses that I couldn't and it's either some difference between models/trim levels or a different approach to what is ok - hard to tell without meeting up! But no, it's not just you, I have the same issues with the Civic as well. ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one incompetent with fitting a booster in a 3 across in that car. Maybe the trim level is a big difference? We have the very basic model.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC