Sunshine Kids Products

laurenrachey

Okay I'm sort of thinking outloud here, so hopefully no one will throw stones! :rolleyes: I know the Radian seems to be a pretty popular seat here, and with carseat 'junkies' in general. Here are some of my thoughts/questions.

I'm seeing all of these threads about the harness fraying and new buckles being sent, and everyone freaking out. I noticed that SK makes the Mighty-Tite buckle thing...now I've actually seen somebody around here with an icon with a international NO symbol over that product! lol But why does SK make this entire lineup of after market products for carseats, when most techs and carseat savvy people (and you would think, carseat manufacturers) agree that they should not be used? I know some of the other manufacturers probably have some aftermarket carseat products, but it almost seems like that is the main focus at SK, and they just so happened to release a carseat that harnesses higher, which bumped their name way up in the carseat world. I guess what I'm saying is, I have some trouble trusting this company. Am I totally off base? Anyone else have similar thoughts?:confused:

ADS

scatterbunny

Yes, I have similar thoughts and feelings about the company, but there aren't many higher weight limit options out there, and for folks who can't afford Britax or need something super-narrow, the Radian is it. :(

amy919

Honestly, this is the main reason I've never seriously considered buying a Radian. I like the seat and the price, but it's sort of an issue of principle for me, KWIM?

Amy

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I do see some of these things as issues, however, with every single issue that has cropped up, SK has been fixing them left and right. I haven't seen too many other companies respond as quickly as SK has or deliver the customer service they have.

The majority of all the other companies also sell aftermarket products, but we don't boycott those companies either. I think it's a matter of being educated enough to know what is safe to use with your seat and what is not.

For Canada, the Radian is our only seat that has nice TALL top slots. No other seat can match it on our market and it is the ONLY seat that my 35lb, 5 year old still fits into... therefore our only option to keep him harnessed (which he is legally required to be).

I think it's just the newness of the Radian on the market that you are seeing all these posts about it. Pretty much every new seat that comes on the market undergoes our scrutiny and gets a wish list of needed/wanted upgrades. Companies generally respond and that is what is happening with the Radian right now. Just wait until the Recaro actually hits some of our hands... I'm sure we'll have things to say. :D ;)

amy919

The majority of all the other companies also sell aftermarket products, but we don't boycott those companies either. I think it's a matter of being educated enough to know what is safe to use with your seat and what is not.

Good point. Something about them making the Mighty Tite just bugs me, though. If they would just stop making that darn thing and take it off the market, they'd score major points with me!

Amy

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Good point. Something about them making the Mighty Tite just bugs me, though. If they would just stop making that darn thing and take it off the market, they'd score major points with me!

Amy

I agree! I really hate the mighty tite!

laurenrachey

Good point about Canada (I live in NC and I forget that there a lot of Canadians here as well). Just for the record, I would totally import a Regent at some point if I were in your shoes! :) I'm not sure about Radian's 'age', as my little one just turned two, so I'm somewhat new to all of the convertible carseat market. And I agree all new products go through the fix-the-problem phase. Since I currently only have one, I also forget about the space issues a lot of people face. Hands down the radian wins in that category, as you'd be lucky to squeeze a sheet of paper between two Regents in a typical sedan :)

scatterbunny

I do see some of these things as issues, however, with every single issue that has cropped up, SK has been fixing them left and right. I haven't seen too many other companies respond as quickly as SK has or deliver the customer service they have.

It's true, Russ does deliver STELLAR customer service! :D

arly1983

Poor Russ,

He tries so hard but......I don't trust him:eek: He has said too many clueless things so.....

As for the radian, I have had some issues with it leading to me sell it twice...

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The MT was the first product that company ever made...I remember buying one in 2001...still have it... it's a sturdy little thang ;)

Dorel makes lots of questionable Safety Last...er...1st... products... Graco makes missiles...um... rollup shades... I'm sure Evenflo makes something bad, but I don't care enough about them to notice...

On the plus side, it's not aftermarket products that really ever get implicated in deaths and injuries... So I don't know if it's SO bad they make a buck off telling parents they need that junk, as long as they make seats that are easy to use properly, I try to sort of hold them accountable on that alone... I dunno, it's a tough call :(

broken4u05

Russ seems like a great guy from the emails that i have had with him. He has helped me out with everything and is very fast at emailing back.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, every carseat manufacturer has their extra line of hazards -- it's capitalism, it's business, it's money.... If those items aren't purchased they won't make them anymore: that's about education, awareness, advocacy!

I was surprised to see so many of us get the Radian correctly installed in various vehicles at the Eastern Regional conference :thumbsup: That really eased my mind about sharing it as an option for parents, but always with the push for them to seek out a local tech, too (because even if the local tech sucks hopefully it's helping spread awareness & if someone found the forum once they'll likely return for more advice).

Oh & the Rep. got right on the phone with the bigwigs who were meeting at the main manufacturing location in China just to put my request that they look into reinforcing the structure on the sides more for testing with reverse belt path installation *YEAH*

Last edited:
The fact that SK makes the MT doesn't really bother me. :shrug-shoulders: Like others have said, other carseat mfrs. make aftermarket products too, and while they aren't recommended on a professionaly level, they aren't necessarily killing kids, either.

I've had nothing but great responses in the cust. svc. department from SK. I know some folks feel like Russ has dodged their questions, but he's been 100% up-front with me, so far as I can tell. And so far, all of the things I've noticed were wrong/could be improved with the Radian, have been fixed/improved. :thumbsup: They are truly taking our feedback and making a better product from that. :twocents:

arly1983

Ok, I have a question or maybe it is just a train of thought here.....

Do we trust carseat manufacturers CSR or not?

Because right now we are talking about a CSR who gave out the wrong information about the evenflo big kid.....When splash got a Britax CRS that said aftermarket covers were ok, everyone had a heart attack!

Russ doesn't know the purpose of a chest clip and suggested that someone soak their straps in water and cleaning solution.....SO why does everyone stick up for him?

Is it because he is a nice guy? I admit he is a nice guy but not a CPST and he didn't design the radian.

I know I am probably going to get flamed for this but I want to know....

This just really bothers me for some reason...

ETA: This is not because I am upset about him emailing me back, the question I asked only had one answer and it is an answer that seems hard for him so....

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm not sticking up for Russ so much as sticking up for the Radian.

All the issues I've had with it appear to have been resolved/are being resolved. If they test with the Reverse belt path and approve it, I can almost guarantee that would eliminate 99% of install issues.

Then the only issue remaining (for me) would be the lack of adjustability for a more upright install when RF.

As far as Russ goes, he does generally give great customer service and I take his advice with a grain of salt... he is not a CPST and I don't look to him for that advice, I look to him to send me a new part/seat for whatever I need to update/correct my Radian.

Forgot to directly answer your first question... I do not trust anyone's CSR... they are not trained CPST's, they are there to correct/fix whatever issue I'm having, not give advice on potentially dangerous issues - although some of them give advice they should not be giving anyway. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC