Radian Successful Install Thread

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Has anyone known of a successful install in a 98 Mercury Sable?

My mom has a 1998 Ford Taurus, which is exactly the same as a Mercury Sable. She has the LX model (I think...which ever one has the sunroof & leather). I can get a great RF install quickly & quite solid. I do one full twist with the buckle stalk. I've also had a successful install FF'ing. I have pics if you want.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I also wanted to add:

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette (leather seats)
Driver's side outboard, 3rd row
FF'ing, no tether. Very quick, very easy, very solid

calebsmama03

2001 Saab 9-3 (5 door hatchback style). Currently installed with LATCH but tried seatbelt to ensure it would work when DS outgrows the LATCH. Passenger side outboard, FF. ROCK SOLID install using both methods, on the first try. :2thumbsup: Easy install!

Not a CPST and *just* got seat a few hours ago so not verified by one.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
2007 Ford F350. center rear. ffing with seatbelt.- perfect in under a min. without putting any weight in it at all.

1995 Buick Roadmaster Wagon. rfing and ffing outboard l/s with locking clip. hand pressure

1990 Surburban. 2nd row outboard, ALR l/s belt. ffing tethered to third row. The seats are very squishy in this vehicle, so it requirered a lot of weight. I wasn't all that happy with the install. It was good with the tether, but I'd put more work into it before I'd use it withut the tether. I have a difficult install with everything except the husky in this car though so the problem is more the soft seats than the CR's i'm putting in it.

Kimberly

Quoting myself to keep track of what cars I have posted so far

2007 Ford F350
Center front bench seat ffing
Center rear bench seat rfing

1999 Lincoln Continental

All positions rear seat both ffing and rfing.
ffing I had to twist the buckle stalk 2.5 times and route the seat belt OVER the cover of the Radian.
rfing outbourd very upright, needed tether or noodle for 45 degree angle. Able to move front seats all the way back with Radian at 45 degrees.

2008 Chevy Colorado
center rear ffing. Impossible to tether.

2004 Nissan Xterra
ffing and rfing in all rear seat positions
rfing outboard had to move front seat forward 2 positions with the boot. Tried t without boot just for reference and was able to move seats back all the way, even though the angle was the same.
ffing center twist buckle stalk 3 times.
ffing outboard twist 3 times and route seat belt over cover.
Note: was able to fit 3 in a row in this car with a ffing radian,rfing radian, Husky

2008 Jeep Patriot
Outboard passenger rfing with latch, barely passable

1999 Pontiac Grand Am, 2 door
ffing all rear positions
Center seat twist 2 times

1990 Surburban
ffing and rfing all rear seat postions 2nd and 3rd row
ffing iffy in 2nd row due to very squishy seats. Would recomend tethering at all times in the 2nd row.

Kimberly

S

Sofiesmom

After reading I was so afraid it was going to be very hard, but it was easy and I got a perfect install.

I have 2 RF Marathons and my big 3yo (39lbs and 40 1/2 inches in May) was in a SafeRider Vest though I preferred a seat with a harnass for better side protection. She was already using the top slots of her Marathon, and no way a Regent could fit.

I now fit 3 across, and I didn't even have to put the Radian in the middle ... that was the best part!

So I have RF MA (LATCH), RF MA (seatbelt for middle seat) and both are tethered and a FF Radian (LATCH) and it's such a rock solid and easy fit. It's also tethered (but not Safe Stop since she's over 40lbs right now.

She's using the top slots (she was a tiny little bit over the lower slots), so she has about 2 / 2 1/2 inches in torso to grow before she hits the top slots, and then she can go a little over as well.

So 3 across in a Volvo XC90; RF MA (latch), RF MA (belt), FF Radian (latch), all tethered. All 3 seats are rock solid, not checked by a CPST.

taujau

-2006 Subaru Tribeca
-FF passenger outboard
-LATCH and tether
-Solid, although at one point in the first installation a friend grabbed the front and wiggled a little when he was just looking at the seat (he'd never seen one) and it came loose... reinstalled it and it's very solid as far as I can tell. Had to scratch the crap out of my forearms in order to guide the LATCH belt through the path without getting twisted.
-Not checked by a tech yet.

Kat_Momof3

Dodge Caravan
FF - captain's chairs and third row bench - seatbelt - all great and easy installs... in third row, I had to twist down the female buckles 2-3 twists

RF - Captain's chairs - Seatbelt - rock sold - Latch - rock solid. Both were very easy and the d-ring was hooked to the metal piece connecting the lockbox on the passenger side or the piece that is identical (but has no lockbox) on the driver's side)

FF - captain's chairs - LATCH - easier than the seatbelt, but equal in installation quality... shake the car solid.

jaded

1994 Mercury Sable- FF'ing middle lap belt installation, good installation, I'm going to try it tomorrow with twisting the buckle stalk a few times, but the only movement I was really getting from it was because the seat is so smooth on the bottom. Also going to try lap/shoulder installation, didn't have time for it today due to needing a locking clip on lap/shoulder belt.

No tech check yet, that's on October 18th. But I think I remember enough from my own certification class. ;)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
2008 Toyota Highlander
FFing w/ LATCH-great install (middle row)
FFing w/ seatbelt (no tether)-barely acceptable install (3rd row)

jensfamily

2007 Suburban

Forward Facing in the 3rd row middle seat.

I twisted the belt 2 times to get it tight. I wish I would have bought this seat when it first came out.

jaded

1994 Mercury Sable

rear passenger lap/shoulder belt with locking clip-can not achieve a good installation forward facing. Again, not tech checked, will be on Oct. 18th(but I'm going to the tech to have them help me with a rearfacing installation of the seat)

dd9736

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but yesterday I went with a friend, and installed my radian quick as a snap in a Chevy venture.
RFing in the bucket seat 2nd row, drivers side, it was a little tight with a tall driver, but the seat was in rock solid, I didn't even feel the need to tether it.

CML27

Just installed...
Radian 65(DOM 3/07)

2003 Honda Pilot
Lap/Shoulder Belt
FF
Tether under headrest
2nd row passenger side

(FWIW-also have FF Marathon and Graco Snugride installed in 2nd row)

Checked by police dept (certified tech)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC