Radian Successful Install Thread

Loves2sing

I have got a successful install in 2 of my vehicles

2003 Ford Focus
RF in all three positions, using either LATCH or seatbelt including RF tethering

FF in all three positions using LATCH, and of course tethered

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
RF outboard with LATCH, and tethered

I haven't had the chance to try other positions in the truck, but I will do that as soon as I get the chance, when dh stops being a truck hog! lol

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Honda Odyssey
Method of install: l/s belt and tether
Direction of seat: Foward facing
Position: 3rd row outboad

Year: 2007
Make/Model: Dodge Caravan
Method of install: lap only belt and tether
Position: 3rd row middle

Year: 2001
Make/Model: Ford Taurus
Method of install: LATCH, lap only, and l/s belt
Direction of seat: both
Position: all 3

maidencomfort

I've had a couple installs:

2005 GMC Savanna rfing with latch in 1st row bench. ffing with latch in same position, And FFing with lap only in 2nd and 3rd row seats in middle position.

2003 Chevy Surburban. Back row all 3 positions with belt ffing. 2nd row rfing in 2 latch positions and middle seat with shoulder belt. ffing in middle and drivers side with should belt in 2nd row.

1995 chevy blazer. Back seat both positions with shoulder belt.

ALso got good installs in my friends car, but I can't remember what kind it was! lol I"ll update that later.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Is everyone adding to the database as well :confused: Especially techs :whistle: (link in my signature)

Yes indeed, entry added a while ago. :thumbsup: Nudge nudge to everyone else who posted. ;) We now resume the original intention of this thread. :whistle: :)

MommaChop

Thanks to Wendy ( :love: ), I can post YES here! There is not even a millemeter of movement in any direction! Beyond rock solid! :thumbsup:

Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Method of Install: lap belt (buckle in the belt path) and tether
Direction of Seat: forward facing
Position: middle
CRST checked: absolutely not--the last tech I had check my seat scolded me for not using LATCH in the middle. I only have LATCH on the two outboard, and knew my manual said to NOT use LATCH in the middle. plus, I got a tighter install than she did.... I admit, it's put me off techs--but probably just a problem here.

A

arcana96

Year: 2006
Make/Model: Saab 93
Method of Install: latch and tether
Position: 1 driver side, 1 passenger side

rock solid install. Not a CPST - self installed.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, did another one!

2007 VW Bug!
RF, with latch, solid install
Would only be able to put a petite person in the front passenger seat though!

FF, solid, perfect fit with latch

scatterbunny

Hey, everyone who posted about successful LATCH installs--did you only try with LATCH, or did you try seatbelt as well? Since LATCH can only be used to certain weights, and since people buy the Radian to use it to higher weights, it's important to know if it works with a seatbelt, too.

groovymom2000

Can this post get a sticky? I keep loosing it---I am considering a Radian, and I'm too lazy to drag everyone out there to wrestle it into my car, so I keep hoping somoeone has installed one in a Volvo V70? :D

MommaChop

And got one successfully installed in hubbys' truck this weekend...

Make/Model: ford f150 crew cab
Method of Install: latch and tether
Position: middle

nice and solid. hubby is having a hard time getting used to it, but daughter loves it!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
2007 Ford F350. center rear. ffing with seatbelt.- perfect in under a min. without putting any weight in it at all.

1995 Buick Roadmaster Wagon. rfing and ffing outboard l/s with locking clip. hand pressure

1990 Surburban. 2nd row outboard, ALR l/s belt. ffing tethered to third row. The seats are very squishy in this vehicle, so it requirered a lot of weight. I wasn't all that happy with the install. It was good with the tether, but I'd put more work into it before I'd use it withut the tether. I have a difficult install with everything except the husky in this car though so the problem is more the soft seats than the CR's i'm putting in it.

I've only had the Radian for a couple of weeks now, so I will post as I try it in more cars.

Two items of interest I can see so far with the Radian. One, if you pull on just one side of the harness, the splitter plate slides side to side and one side of the harness seems longer than the other.

Two, the removable base could potentially sit on top of the latch anchors on certain cars, or on top of hard plastic seat hinges in cars like the Outback that have a 50/50 split seat. If this happens the seat will not install properly as there would be no way to compress the hard parts the way the seat cushion does. I've had this problen with the SR base on occassion, and have had good luck fixing it with a very small piece of noodle (half of a small one) or a rolled recieving blanket.

Kimberly

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Two items of interest I can see so far with the Radian. One, if you pull on just one side of the harness, the splitter plate slides side to side and one side of the harness seems longer than the other.

Two, the removable base could potentially sit on top of the latch anchors on certain cars, or on top of hard plastic seat hinges in cars like the Outback that have a 50/50 split seat. If this happens the seat will not install properly as there would be no way to compress the hard parts the way the seat cushion does. I've had this problen with the SR base on occassion, and have had good luck fixing it with a very small piece of noodle (half of a small one) or a rolled recieving blanket.

Kimberly

I had the problem with the recline base sitting on top of the latch in my 2000 Windstar. I just moved it slightly out and installed.

Ericak95

Year: 2002
Make/Model: Toyota Camry
Method of install: LATCH and top anchor
Position: Outboard - Driverside

Great install -- almost as easy as our Marathon

Year: 2006
Make/Model: Dodge Charger
Position: Outboard - Driverside

Much better install than our APEX 65. The only issue we had was with the fixed headrests, but we have that with every seat.

Have not had them checked yet.

Only note on install I found it easy to get the latch straps twisted and caught in the tightener.

lovinwaves

Make/Model: Lexus/RX300
Position: Outboard - passenger side

Great install, took some wiggling around, but finally got it. Removed headrest also.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
2005 Ford Freestar

Middle row captain's chair
FF and RF ~ both with LATCH ~ tethered both ways
Rock solid

2000 Toyota Sienna

Middle row bench seat (passengers side outboard/center position)
FF with 3pt belt ~ retractor switched ~ no tether anchor available
Tough install but did get it within 1" of movement.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

Center rear
RF with 3pt belt ~ lightweight locking latchplate
VERY difficult but I did finally get an acceptable installation using a locking clip. Unfortunately, I also cracked the latchplate and had multiple bruises from wrestling with this seat for 20+ minutes. I probably should have just given up but I was determined to make it work. I don't think the average parent (or even the average Tech) would be able to install this seat properly without assistance in this particular situation. Additionally, the seat was much too reclined for a toddler but probably would have been ideal for a newborn. No way to install this seat RF in either LATCH (outboard) position in this vehicle due to lack of space.

YEAH!!!! I got a great FF and RF install in my 97 Suburban with cloth squishy seats. Took both my husband and I, but we did it!

Year: 1997
Make/Model: Chevy Suburban
Method of install: Seatbelts with tether
Direction of seat: BOTH!
Position: Middle Row Center position
Very Tight. Needed husband's help due to twisting the stalk 3 times. I had to pop the little plastic rectangle out of the hole where the seatbelt stalks are to get it twisted, then popped it back on.

The BEST part of these installs is that the flip up seat can still flip without pushing or moving the carseat. It just barely brushes against the side. And we can still fit 2 large adults on either side of the seat. (Which also means 2 large carseats, provided one installs on the flip up seat.) YEAH!

I also got a rock solid 3rd row center install FF without tether by myself. And I got an acceptable driver's side RF with seatbelt and tether.

None checked by a tech, but in the past the techs don't touch my installs because they are so tight.

Stephanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC