Radian Successful Install Thread

singingpond

This is my first post to this forum -- a nice uncontroversial topic...

vehicle: '96 Toyota Corolla wagon, got a Radian in order to be able to install 3-across (other seats are Snugride infant seat and a Parkway booster)

installed: center rear seat, RF

comments: Not an easy install -- had to twist buckle stalk 3 full times, plus flip latch plate 180 degrees to keep it from sliding (lap belt only in center seating position). The seat also fit FF in this position, but I think that was a struggle as well. Did not fit outboard RF, because of the tall seat back and unchangable recline angle of the Radian (I was installing for DS who is 2 1/2, so doesn't need 45 degree recline, but the Radian didn't allow less reclined installation). Not sure about FF outboard, as I think that also required multiple twists of the buckle stalk, but the buckle stalk seemed stiffer and harder to twist than the center one, so I wasn't convinced I would be able to get a good install with more persistence. I was also 7+ months pregnant at the time and didn't need the outboard install, so I gave up without being 100% sure if it would work there or not.

overall: I love this seat for its narrow profile and apparent quality and comfort; wish it was easier to install; also, I have to recheck FF install to see if harness is impossible to tighten (DOM is 7/06, and it has the old shallow path on the back of the seat shell -- maybe I'll get to see how good SK customer service is on this issue). The fact that I'm putting this off is a comment on what a pain the install is -- I have to allow a good hour, since the Snugride has to come out too, and it is also a pain to reinstall (literally), since the two seats are so close together in this small car that getting my hand in between them to buckle is very difficult -- I have to reach through the beltpath hole on the SR base with one hand while somehow holding the buckle with other hand and kneeling on the base. Maybe this will be easier now that I'm no longer pregnant, LOL.

ADS
spokaneCPST;156462 [B said:
1996 Suburban[/B] I did not try RF in this vehicle
Rear OB - FF successful
Rear Center - FF successful
Renee

Are you using the very back row? 3rd row? I tried really hard to get a FF in the middle row and couldn't. Haven't tried the back, though. We just ended up with a Marathon for the Suburban. Ours is a 97. I did get rear-facing with a lot of work and muscle from both me and hubby on 2nd row driver's side.

97 Nissan Altima
Middle Seat, RF, with belt and tether---ROCK SOLID (like the seat won't budge.) Installed originally by a tech, since re-installed by us. Very easy and quick. The belt buckle does go up and into the belt path cleanly, which is approved by Sunshine Kids.

Middle Seat, FF, with belt and no tether (Don't have installed yet and baby's still RF, but I wanted to know how it would flip)---Rock Solid, done by a tech.

91 Toyota Camry Wagon, RF, middle seat, with tether. Rock Solid, not checked by tech.

Stephanie

broken4u05

2004 toyota corolla
LATCH and lap/sholder belt in all spots in my car (not LATCH in the middle)
With the Lap sholder belts i find it better to twist the male end of the belt 2 times.
I have not tried it RF but if i get bored maybe i will change seats around and take photos

beebear23

Senior Community Member
2000 Ford Focus 4-door sedan w/LATCH

Outboard FF using LATCH
Center FF using LATCH
Center FF using seatbelt(though LATCH install was better)
Center RF using LATCH, including top tether.
All above were rock solid fits

2000 Ford Ranger, basic cab
outboard RF, seatbelt and tether. Rock solid fit
outboard FF, seatbelt and tether, Not a great fit!

2005(6?) Ford Freestyle (loaner car from dealership one day)
3rd row outboard, FF, LATCH
2nd row outboard, FF, LATCH

fastdogs

2000 Ford F-250 diesel, the kind with regular doors and suicide doors to rear seat.
FF center lapbelt. Very upright, very close to rear glass. Got a solid install, but the next day it felt loose. Tightened it again and it stayed rock solid.
vickie

starbuck22

Senior Community Member
2000 Grand Caravan SE
No LATCH
Center Captains Chairs RF
Bench Seat Outboard and Center RF Outboard needed 2 twists of the belt stalk,center needed 3,
Tethered under driver or front passenger seats.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
No Latch
RF Center of rear seat
I needed to remove the rubber cover to twist the stalk 3 full turns.
Tethered under passenger seat. Can't move passenger seat back to the last click, D ring is in the way.
Surprisingly solid install

sanctareparata

canadianmom2three said:
2003 Pontiac Montana 8 pass van:
-RF - all positions are great with or without LATCH, but couldn't find any tether points for the middle row of seats (nothing below the front seats to tether to, no visable belt stalks)
-FF - 2nd row outboard both sides easily with LATCH
-FF - 2nd row middle and outboard with seatbelt with a GREAT DEAL of difficulty but is rock solid now that it's in (middle).
-3rd row - UNSUCCESSFUL in any FF position in back row of seats, didn't try Rf back there.

So does this mean I shouldn't even bother trying Radians in our 2006 Pontiac Montana? They'd have to be in the third row, so if I can't ever turn them FF then there's no reason to get them....anyone else tried this vehicle FF in the third row?

chelle80

Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Impala
Method of install: LATCH and top anchor(middle), seatbelt and top anchor(outboard)
Direction of seat: Foward facing
Position: Middle and outboard

canadianmom2three

To be honest, I didn't try as hard in the back row ( of the 2003 montana) as I did in the middle row. I really wanted Ds to be in the center mid row, and that is the install that I got the tech to help with. I gave it a go in the back row to see if it would be easier while waiting for my tech appt. but it wasn't, and it was soooo cramped back there, and blazing hot out to boot, that I didn't really put my heart into it. He was still under the latch weight so I just gave up and latched it in mid row outboard. With a great deal of effort techs got it in center mid row with the seatbelt, and DH and I have been able to re-install it there too. I could give it another try in the back row if you are really interested...the seatcover is filthy and I have been contemplating taking it out for a wash anyway. It looks like the back row should be an easier install as the buckles are not so forward of the seat bight back there, but I recall it being super loose. Maybe now that I know more tricks it will be better. I recall the center back being a good install, but there was no tehter point, and it was (even with the narrowness of radian) a bit too crowded for my taste.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Oh see i remembered another one...

either a '91 or '92 suburban in the middle row, middle seat w/ lap belt no tether i think i had to twist the stalk one or two times it did take me and my sister in law to get the seat in well but it was pretty solid.

tl01

We have a Radian installed sucessfully in our 2006 Mercedes Benz ML 350. The seat is outboard RFing on the right hand side of the vehicle and it is installed using LATCH. The seat has one small piece of shelf liner underneath it and is tethered as well. It did have the seat checked by a tech.

Mumoflittleguys

2006 Pontiac Vibe

Outboard passenger side, FF, LATCH and top tether, solid install, but required muscle.

1995 Saturn SL1

Outboard driver's side, FF, seatbelt, acceptable, but not great install, required more muscle than I knew I had.

The Vibe install was checked by several techs, who were all drooling over the Radian, as none of them had seen one before.:D

FrauS

Year: 2007
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra
Method of install: LATCH and top anchor
Position: outboard

Year: 2005
Make/Model: VW Golf GTI
Position:

Year: 2006
Make/Model: Cadi

ETA the two rentals I forgot about.
Make/Model: Chevy Impala

Make/Model: VW Passat
All rock solid, all installed within 5 minutes.

Last edited:

jennsmile

Ford Taurus 2001
Latch outboard and center with tether rock solid

Outboard seat belt install loose...

Jenn

PS Not checked by tech but with prior seats when I got them checked I passed with flying colors.

ts_peach

updated my post as i went out and tried the Radian in all positions RF and FF in our two cars. my hands hurt, hate those locking clips but it was fun!

interesting finding: the radian locking clip position was the same spot our snugride uses for both cars. nice and tight install for both seats without changing the posisitoning of the locking clip.

Yoshi

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon
FF- Bench seat?
LATCH & top tether
Outboard
ROCK SOLID

2005 Kia Sorrento SUV
FF- Bench seat
LATCH & Top tether
Outboard
ROCK SOLID

2007 Toyota Sienna
FF- Captains Chair(outermost one-off-center)
LATCH & Top Tether
ROCK SOLID

2007 Honda CRV
FF- Bench
LATCH & top tether
Center and Outboard (LATCH allowed in center of '07 CRV)
Great Install

Never tried a seatbelt- why bother with one when DD is only 37 lbs

bensmom243

Has anyone had any luck with Radian FF in a Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon in the middle row? We are considering a 2005 Suburban and want to know if it will fit!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC