2009 Chrysler 300
RF center
Installed with LATCH
Installed rock solid, puzzled well between the two front seats

2009 Chevy Impala
RF center
Installed with LATCH
Installed rock solid, puzzled well between the two front seats

Why don't all cars have center LATCH?!?! The Radian is a breeze with LATCH....

And back to our car:

2005 Acura MDX
RF center
Installed with seatbelt
Installed rock solid, but only after twisting female end of belt stalk 2x and the anchor side of the belt (that accepts the part that comes down from the ceiling) 1x. Had no problems getting it more upright once I pulled the foot away from the seatback slightly.

ADS

Anstar

2004 Chevrolet Suburban
RF 2nd Row Passenger side
Installed with seatbelt and locking clip
Tried to get it more upright for an older kiddo - It's about 40*.
Used a piece of shelf liner to keep it from flipping fom 40* to 45* on the leather seats.
Super-solid, rock-the-car tight. That puppy ain't movin' (except for the recline issue :thumbsdown:)

Checked by 2 techs. :thumbsup:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
With all the tal about Subarus...

2000 Subaru Outback

RF center and outboard.

100_0580.jpg

mom2juliarose

Year: 2005
Make/Model: Honda CR-V
FF outboard, passenger side
Installed with seatbelt
Top tethered

I had no trouble installing this at all! (I also installed it FFing with LATCH top tethered and found it to be just as easy.)

Not checked by a tech.

pastrygirl

All the FF installs were with the recline, and pulled out a tiny bit from the seat bight.

2001 Subaru Forester

Installed with seat belt (can't remember if I had to twist the stalk; I don't own this car anymore)
Top tethered

FF center
Installed with seat belt (again, can't remember twists, but it wasn't difficult to install.)
Top tethered

2009 Subaru Forester XT
LATCH
Top tethered

Seat belt (no twists)
Top tethered

RF outboard, passenger side
LATCH
RF tether

RadianRF02sm.jpg

ETA: Couldn't get a good install in the center of my '09 Forester.

Last edited:

jess71903

Ambassador
2006 Ford Explorer

RF center (next to RF True Fit).
NOT compatible FF in the center. Seatbelt retractor ends up behind the Radian and won't retract.

I need to know about FF outboard in a 2006 or later Explorer. Anybody know?

nmb

Radian DOM 10/07, old style RF boot. Other than the first, no installs were checked by a CPST. All rear-facing installs are more-upright installs for an older kid.

2007 Kia Rondo
Bench seat
-Installed Rear-facing, outboard passenger side, LATCH, plenty of room in the front seat
Install verified
-Installed Forward-facing, Outboard (both sides), LATCH
*Both installs in this vehicle are super-easy, I can do them myself and get it rock solid w/out DH's help. With LATCH, I've never tried to do a seatbelt install w/ this seat.

2005 Dodge Neon
Our Neon has 'bucket' seats in the back - the kind w/ the hump in the middle of the bench. We cannot get the Radian to install FF in the center of it w/out tipping (haven't had a CPST try though); we have had a Marathon & a Signo FF in that spot w/ no problems, w/ center LATCH.
-Installed Rear-facing, outboard passenger side, LATCH, passenger front seat has to be all the way forward. ( I don't think it'd fit at 45 degrees).
-Installed FF, LATCH, either outboard position

06 Chevy Malibu
-Installed rearfacing, center, LATCH, plenty of room for clearance between the two front seats - didn't try but I think a 45 degree install would work well here.
(grandma's car)

07 Dodge Dakota extended cab
-Installed FF on rear bench seat; barely fit on the seat front to back, but solid install w/ LATCH.
(grandpa's truck)

The following two cars are rentals, I'm not sure of the year, but rented in May and June of this year, 2009:

Pontiac G6:
-Installed RF, center, LATCH; Front seats all the way back. Took some playing w/ to get the angle right, it wanted to lay down too far (beyond 45 degrees). (But maybe that's because we were tired from a long day of traveling?)

Mazda 5:
-Installed rearfacing, center row Captain's Chair, passenger side, w/ LATCH. Not very much room in the seat in front of it - not quite all the way forward but not far back. DH says he had to recline the back of the seat to install the Radian; then put the seat back up.

True Blue

1998 Jeep Cherokee
-ffing outboard, solid install. A couple buckle stalk twists and a flip of the latchplate did it!
-rfing center also works...never tried outboard rf

2004 Jeep Liberty
Rock solid in any position, with LATCH or seatbelts. RF's like a dream in the middle, the foot is just the right size to fit between all the annoying fixed buckle elements!!!

2006 Toyota Sienna
8-passenger
-FF middle seat middle row, rock solid with LATCH
-FF outboard, middle row, rock solid with LATCH
(have not tried other spots, but should be just fine!)

Last edited:

JamRowZ

2000 Ford Focus 4-door sedan w/LATCH

Outboard FF using LATCH
Center FF using LATCH
Center FF using seatbelt(though LATCH install was better)
Center RF using LATCH, including top tether.
All above were rock solid fits

We have an 07 Focus. Someone told me in another thread that I can't do a center LATCH install (RFing at the moment, but interested in FFing eventually since we'll still have the car) in a Focus since the center LATCH lower anchors are shared with the side positions. The manual says if only one car seat is installed with LATCH it can be in the center then gives a measurement for the anchors distance (450mm I think).

I'm curious how you got it in the Focus RFing center without interfering with the drivers seat - I can't get them to not touch. FYI-DH uses the drivers seat all the way back.

munchkin

We have an 07 Focus. Someone told me in another thread that I can't do a center LATCH install (RFing at the moment, but interested in FFing eventually since we'll still have the car) in a Focus since the center LATCH lower anchors are shared with the side positions. The manual says if only one car seat is installed with LATCH it can be in the center then gives a measurement for the anchors distance (450mm I think).

I'm curious how you got it in the Focus RFing center without interfering with the drivers seat - I can't get them to not touch. FYI-DH uses the drivers seat all the way back.

I have an 07 Focus, also. You are right - the Radian does not allow the use of borrowed LATCh anchors, unless they are the standard spacing (which the Focus is not).

How reclined is your husband's seat? That might be the problem. I am able to install the Radian RF in the center and move both seats all the way back with out any problems.

Do you have the old base or new base on the Radian? When installing try to pull it back from the seat bight just a smidge and then really push down where the feet are or (depending on how small you are) get behind the Radian and push down with your stomach. That will help get a more upright install and have more room for the vehicle seats. If you have any more questions, definitely start a new post so we can help you out.

Side note: some car seat manufacturers do allow borrowing the anchors if they are not standard, but under a certain spacing, such as Britax. You can install a Britax seat in the middle of the Focus with LATCh as long as it is the only seat using LATCh. I can look up the whole list if needed.

C

cubegrrl

hi there,

My Radian 65 went into our 2001 Mazda Tribute just fine, rear-facing and then forward facing, in the right outboard side. Bench seating. Did it myself.

Also, had a modification done to my 1991 Mazda Miata (No passenger side airbag): I had a metal loop installed in the shelf behind the passenger seat, to take the top tether, and then installed the seat FF. The Radian 65 fits great although the seat had to move quite a bit forward to take up the slack from the seatbelt stalk. I felt this forward position is OK since the frame of the windshield acts as the car's rollbar. I had a Toronto police officer who specializes in carseat inspection check it out, and she gave a thumbs up.

Kelllilee

a bit late on this but

(radian 80)

2003 PT Cruiser, successful install both outboard and center, rock solid forward facing with LATCH

Honda Ridgeline (unsure of year, maybe 2007?) outboard

It's also successfully been installed in my parents two other cars, one is a VW Jetta, unsure of the year and the other I can't remember what it is. Both were forward facing outboard, one was with a seatbelt, VW was with LATCH.

I find it super easy to install, haven't really had any problems.

julia94115

I just want to cry! I just bought a new XT thinking I would be able to get a better seatbelt install having the bottom grippies than from our older style Radian but no such luck! I CANNOT get a tight FF seatbelt install for nothing! I can tighten the belt but as soon as anyone touches, moves, wiggles or sneezes, the seat just flies all around as if there is no belt at all on it! Why aren't there belt lock-offs on this crazy seat? I WANT this seat! WAAAHHH! What am I doing wrong? :crying:

Car is a 2007 CRV, leather interior.

Maybe this posting should be moved to a Radian unsuccessful install thread????

menfusse

O8 JEEP COMMANDER

7 seater. Have not attempted a third row install and don't even know if there are thethers back there, lol:eek:.

FF Outboard in both positions with both seatbelt and LATCH. Must pull base of Radian slightly out from the seat back for either technique. The seat must be reclined fully while installing, but in Commanders this is not much of a recline. I also got a better install with the recline foot extended. There will some bunching with the seatbelt install, but it's rock solid. LATCH is a breeze. You can crank the seat back up a few clicks if you are more comfortable this way. Top tether must be routed over the headrest.

RF center with seat belt and 2-3 twists of the belt stalk. I wasn't able to get a good install with LATCH. I tried outboard RF and found the seat to be tippy on the buckle side even though it was rock solid originally. Also a tight fit with front to back room, but doable. I only attempted a LATCH install once RF outboard, and wasn't able to get it. I might could work a little harder at it when I'm feeling inspired because that would solve the tippy issue.

U

Unregistered

2006 Camry Hybrid (not sure if it changes the backseat any from a regular one)

RF marathon latch outboard behind driver and 2 FF radian 80s center and passenger. Has also been in with the radians RF outboard and FF center and a montery booster outboard

They fit great in my 2005 pathfinder too but that's not a space issue we just REALLY love our radians especially when we travel :)

U

Unregistered

Rock solid easy install in center seat, second row of Pontiac Trans Sport 1996, both FF and RF, with lap belt.

twin momma

2007 Honda Pilot

RF in both the center and the passenger side of the second row - two seat installed at same time
seatbelt installs

Checked by a CPS Instructor.

Doesn't leave a lot of room in the front row for a tall driver or passenger but I didn't have a problem... I am 5'5".

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC