jubgulia

2006 Toyota Corolla

FF center w/ seatbelt (no twists!)
RF center w/ seatbelt (no twists!)
FF passenger side w/ LATCH
FF driver side w/ LATCH

2boys3girls

2003 Pontiac Montana 8 pass van:
-RF - all positions are great with or without LATCH, but couldn't find any tehter points for the middle row of seats (nothing below the front seats to tehter to, no visable belt stalks)
-FF - 2nd row outboard both sides easily with LATCH
-FF - 2nd row middle and outboard with seatbelt with a GREAT DEAL of difficulty but is rock solid now that it's in (middle).
-3rd row - UNSUCCESSFUL in any FF position in back row of seats, didn't try Rf back there.

1999 Ford F-150 extend-a-cab (kind with one set regular doors one set suicide doors)
-RF center ONLY of back 'seat', either side is not enough room behind front seats for the recline, and no way to make the radian more upright....no way to tehter this either (at least that I could find)
-FF not acceptable in any location - tried center and outboard rear, and side passanger (airbags can be turned off) could not get even close to acceptable install (but didn't try overly hard either, was just for curiousity sake)

2006 Chevy uplander:
-FF - 2nd row captains seats with LATCH - great and easy install
-FF - 2rd row captains seats, unable to get acceptable install with seatbelt
-FF - 3rd row unable to get acceptable install with seatbelt (no latch there)
-didn't try rf in this van

HELLO, I'M QUESTIONING THE STATEMENT REGARDING *UNSUCCESSFUL RADIAN INSTALL IN ANY FF POSITION IN THE 3RD ROW OF A 2003 8 PASSENGER MONTANA. I HAVE MY RADIAN 80 *ROCK SOLID* IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 3rd ROW OF MY 03 8p. mONTANA.... LAP BELT ONLY, TETHERED.
IS THAT WRONG? thanks! :)

ttatink

I've never had my installations inspected. :eek:

2007 Honda Osyssey EX-L (leather)

Have done four:

FF captains chairs (both) with seat belt (just had to get the seat back angle correct but it was solid after that)
FF center second row with seat belt (my van is an 8 passenger. Install was not nearly as solid as I prefer but acceptable)
FF with LATCH (easy as could be, never have trouble getting that tight in less than 3 minutes)
FF with seatbelt outboard third row (this was the pain in the butt install. Took a good 5-10 minutes WITH DH's help and I usually don't need him! Finally got it solid by reclining the seat, me sitting in it and tightening the belt as far as I could and putting the seat back up again.)

2005 Chrysler Town and Country with leather

Have done four:

RF third row with rear anchor and seat belt (easy to get solid)
FF third row center and outboard (VERY hard to install and never got it solid even with locking clips)
FF LATCH on captains chair (solid)
RF LATCH with anchor on captains chair (also nicely solid)

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, cloth

Two types of install:

RF center (easy once I figured out the locking seat belt thing ;))
FF outboard, both sides (also easy but with three across it's hard to NOT have a solid install)

2008 Honda Accord Coupe, cloth

Only done this once, will probably never do it again since it's REALLY hard to get back there to install a seat properly!

FF in both center and outboard. Not nearly as solid as I prefer due to lack of room for ME trying to install them all.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
HELLO, I'M QUESTIONING THE STATEMENT REGARDING *UNSUCCESSFUL RADIAN INSTALL IN ANY FF POSITION IN THE 3RD ROW OF A 2003 8 PASSENGER MONTANA. I HAVE MY RADIAN 80 *ROCK SOLID* IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 3rd ROW OF MY 03 8p. mONTANA.... LAP BELT ONLY, TETHERED.
IS THAT WRONG? thanks! :)

This thread is for successful installs. If you have a question, it would probably be better to PM the person, or start a new thread.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No inspected installations.

2003 Toyota Corolla LE

Fit 3-across in this configuration.

FF driver's side, LATCH, fairly easy rock-solid install

FF center, seatbelt and top tether, rock-solid but a bit difficult; twisted female part of buckle 3 1/2 turns (1 1/2 full turns.) Make sure correct buckle stalk is used and do not lock the belt until it is tight; will require tightening the tether and belt a few times before it's tight enough.

RF passenger side, LATCH with top tether RF tethered. Rock solid, easy install. Tethered to inside leg of front seat. Front passenger has limited leg room; make sure front seat is fully upright in order to get maximum leg room.

1988 Toyota Corolla

Center seat FF with lap-only manual-adjusting belt. Fairly easy very good install but not quite rock-solid.

FF passenger side with ALR lap-only belt. Very good install, but not rock solid, very difficult.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ooops, forgot a few!

Also not inspected:

2008 Ford E350 LX 12-passenger

FF 2nd row driver's side, seatbelt and tether, easy and rock-solid

RF 2nd row center, LATCH anchors, easy and very good (note: this is the ONLY place in this van that the seat fits RF at all)

FF 3rd row driver's side, seatbelt and tether, easy and rock-solid

FF 3rd row passenger side, seatbelt and tether, easy and rock-solid

Also was able to install solidly in back seat but did not drive with it installed this way because it is against Ford's rules (in manual.) Waiting on an answer as to whether it's okay or not. FF radian installs BEAUTIFULLY in this van! Fit 3 across in each of first 2 back rows easily using 2 Radians and one other seat in each row. (And the rental people thought I was nuts.) Please note that the tether anchors for outboard seats (only 2 center seats have LATCH anchors) are holes in the legs of the seat. A bit difficult to find but have been tested as anchors and once you find them are very easy to use.

U

Unregistered

Successful install FF, outboard position 2001 Pontiac Sunfire. CPST Installed and Inspected. No twists in seat belt.

(would not install FF in center position)

oursonend

No inspections on these installs. Made sure to get them tight though, with less than 1" of wiggle at the base side to side (I aim for none).

1998 Saturn SL2 wagon
Radian FF driver's side outboard and passenger side outboard.
Solid installs. Used lap/shoulder belt with rear tether, seat base not lowered.
LOVE the SL2 for this seat! It's actually (dare I say it) easy (at least compared to other vehicles I've tried it in)
ETA: This is tricky unless the seat is pulled out an inch or two, due to the buckles being out from the seat bight. I find a locking clip CAN be helpful if you find the buckle is slipping while you try to adjust, but it is fine without and stops slipping once it's buckled.

And recent success, FFing Radian center position in the SL2. This required that the base be reclined and the Radian be pulled out about three inches at the seat crease, and the buckle stalk twisted 2x. Seat belt install with top tether. Nice and reclined, and it turned out to be great for DD sleeping in the car because her head doesn't flop forward anymore with the bit of extra recline.

2006 Saturn Ion 2door.
Got it in FF passenger side outboard, but it was a serious workout and took forever. Lowered the base for this install and used lap/shoulder belt and tether. Really annoying and hard in this car.

1990 Honda Civic Wagon.
FFing driver and passenger side outboard
Used lap/shoulder belt with locking clip and top tether (doesn't come with the car of course)
A little bit of tilting to one side due to curvature of seat (ie angled in by about an inch toward center of car), but very minor.
Locking clip is a serious PITA but other than that, no complaints. :)

1998 Subaru Forrester

I hate this car!
FFing in center position with seat base lowered. Lap belt and rear tether. Female buckle twisted 360 twice.
Got it in solid but it took absolutely forever (more than 2 hours) and I was covered in bruises afterward. I DO NOT recommend it. It's no fun at all!

ETA I frequently twist female buckle stalks but can't remember with all of these. Chances are they're all twisted once anyway.

Last edited:

xrayos

how did you guys get the Radian to fit snugly using the LATCH and tether strap? It seems that the radian80 slides around quite easily even when the straps are tight. I think it has to do with the LATCH straps because it's a continuous strap from the right and left. I only have the Britax Marathon to compare with and that carseat isn't budging even 1 cm. The right and left LATCH mechanism are separate from each other.

I like it a lot, but just couldn't get the carseat to stay still. Am I doing something wrong?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
how did you guys get the Radian to fit snugly using the LATCH and tether strap? It seems that the radian80 slides around quite easily even when the straps are tight. I think it has to do with the LATCH straps because it's a continuous strap from the right and left. I only have the Britax Marathon to compare with and that carseat isn't budging even 1 cm. The right and left LATCH mechanism are separate from each other.

I like it a lot, but just couldn't get the carseat to stay still. Am I doing something wrong?

You might get more answers in a new thread, this is for successful Radian installs. I have some thoughts on this but don't want to derail. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
2009 Honda Civic Si
Outboard passenger side, FFing, seatbelt, no tether

2005 Honda Civic
Outboard passenger side, ffing, seatbelt, no tether.

Unknown year Mercury Grand Marquis/Ford Crown Vic (taxi cab)
Outboard passenger side, FFing, seatbelt, no tether

MissAllyLou

2003 GMC Envoy XL

FFing l/s belt in center, must use recline foot on Radian and recline the car seat before installation.

RFing l/s belt in center, no tricks needed. Nice and tight. Seat fits perfectly between two front seats.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hmm... I'm surprised I've not contributed to this thread yet. :eek: (For some reason I thought I had.) Many of these vehicle models have been, or are similar to, ones mentioned before.

None of these installs have been inspected by a tech.
All installs are FF with tether.
:confused: means the details of the install are fuzzy. :eek:

2006 Ford Focus Wagon
Centre w/seatbelt - Great, solid install. Does impede driver's side belt receptacle somewhat.
Driver's Outboard w/LATCH - Great, solid install.

1999 Dodge Caravan
2nd Row Bench Centre-ish w/seatbelt - Great install. Seatbelt does slip over time. This vehicle has post-manufacture tethers.

2000 Chevy Venture

2nd Row Bench Centre-ish w/seatbelt - Tough but acceptable install.
3rd Row Bench Driver's side w/seatbelt :confused: - Okay install. This position has both locking latch plates and retractors.

1996 & '97 GM Suburban
2nd Row Centre w/seatbelt (lap belt) - Tough and okay install. Requires twisting on the female end, and flipping on the male end. Tethered to third row seatbelt.

2002 Chevy Malibu
Centre w/seatbelt (lap belt) - Great install. Three full twists of female end makes it easiest. Top tether can be made just short enough.

2002 GM Trailblazer :confused:
Centre w/seatbelt - Good install.

2004 GM Envoy
Passenger side w/LATCH - Great install.

1993 Audi Quattro
Passenger side w/seatbelt - Tough and marginal. Immovable headrests cause large gap behind seat. Locking clip required.

2004 GMC Sierra Extended Cab Pickup :confused:
Centre rear - I think I used LATCH. Either way the install was good.

Last edited:

mommycat

Yeah, these are probably all repeats of someone else:

2001 Honda Civic
FF center rear, ALR seatbelt and top tether, reclined setting
FF outboard driver's side, ALR seatbelt and top tether, reclined setting
* don't remember if I needed to twist the beltstalk or not

2007 Honda Civic
FF outboard passenger's side, UAS and top tether, reclined setting

2004 Chev Silverado extended cab
FF center, UAS and top tether, reclined setting

2007(?) Hyundai Santa Fe
FF outboard driver's side, UAS and top tether, reclined setting - we reclined the vehicle seat a bit, tightened up, and shoved the vehicle seat back up, that really made it rock solid, totally wedged in there. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC