Radian Successful Install Thread

MommaChop

My parents have a Chase booster they use for DD when they're up here (they come up every 2 weeks, but live out of state)
We were travelling there, and I assumed they'd have it. Nope! I got there and my dad says "hey, just snap your seat into the van." I almost cried! Was never a problem with our beloved Triumph, but that was 2 inches ago.... ;)

so, I uninstall my rock-solid radian and bring it nervously to their nissan Quest. Snaps in like it was designed for the van! Less than a 2 minute rock solid install. gorgeous.

Nissan Quest 2004
Captain outboard, 2nd row, head rest removed.
Forward Facing.
LATCH with rear tether.

Took me longer to RE install it in my Xterra when we were leaving....

ADS

Lea_Ontario

OMG - a total DREAM install this time.

Installed Boo's Radian on the passenger seat of a 2003 GMC Sierra pick-up truck, using UAS.

Took me all of about 2 minutes, and that truck ROCKED !

Don't worry - FIL turned off the airbag before I put the seat in.

grumpybear

Radian80 on a 2003 Subaru Impreza

RF
Center install
Lap-shoulder belt
Used locking clip and is inside the belt path
Top tether used as well

it seems like a rock-solid install but we still need to have it checked.
It took us several hours to figure it out but once we did, we were able to do it again in a matter of minutes.

We also tried RF on the outboard, using LATCH. It was very, very easy.

*edit: Just had it checked and it looks like a pretty solid install.

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It seems like a good time to bump this thread back up for newcomers who are asking about Radian compatibility, and for newer Radian owners, too, who might want to view or add to this thread. :)

Holly

I just re-read what I posted about my Radian a few months ago and realized I have more to add! When I got it, I used it FF behind the Drivers seat and used Latch and got a Rock Solid Install (Oh, sorry, forgot to mention in a 2007 Toyota Camry). But now I have it RF in the center using the RF boot, the seatbelt, and have it RF tethered too. I got a rock solid install with the seatbelt before I even did the tether, and it's even tighter with the tether, it's not going anywhere! I have a Scenera next to it, they both fit well!

supermommyof2

success in a
06 Toyota Sienna (7-pass)

2nd row (captains chairs)
RF both Latch and SB work, tethered to foot of front seats after removing plastic cover
FF Latch & tether very solid, SB doesn't work at all, buckle is too far fwd of bight

3rd row (60/40 bench)
RF Latch ps & middle
RF SB on ps, didn't try it in other positions but would probably work
FF Latch ps & middle solid using built-in recline & adjusting van seatback
FF SB middle:2thumbsup: 2 twists in the buckle, using built-in recline and pulling up van seatback after tightening, not sure if the gap's acceptable :confused: (see last 2 pics) but it's solid

I was able to get good RF installs, but it takes a LOT of room. Extra vehicle seat anchors in the floor work well for RF tether in the 3rd row (ps capt. chair can be inset so there are 2 sets of anchors) RF's fine in the 2nd row with the seats in rear-most position, but in the 3rd row might only work if you don't need to use the 2nd row seat in front of it.

In the 3rd row, Latch & tether hooks are only on ps & middle. Middle Latch overlaps ds SB buckle, so 3 across is pretty difficult if not impossible. FF Radian w/Latch (ps) FF Radian w/SB (middle) RF MA/Radian/Scenera w/SB might work (I hope to confirm soon when I get my new Radian:))

Update: 3rd row fits 3 Radians (FF/latch, FF/sb, RF/sb) or FF MA, FF Radian, RF Radian

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Center rear of 2003 Forester, seatbelt and top tether, one twist of female belt stalk. One of the hardest installations I've ever done (seat with issues, vehicle with issues), but I've done it twice and it's solid: no front-to-back movement and 1/8" side-to-side movement. I have also installed with LATCH in both outboard rear positions -- easy and tight.

Also both outboard positions in 2001 Subaru Legacy wagon with LATCH; also easy and tight. I haven't tried the center in that car.

All forward-facing.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Whoops, always meant to post to this but keep forgetting

2000 (2001? yuck, I forget but I don't think they changed any) Ford F150 single cab. Radian installs RFing, and is currently the only seat on the market that can, due to the long, hard belt stalks of the F150, and the RF boot on the Radian. It's not the easiest install, as you have to make sure to get the latch plate completely inside the belt path (this also makes it VERY hard to uninstall - you have to find something to poke the buckle with from the opposite side, since you can't reach it when it's totally inside the belt path). As of yet, I have not been able to find anything suitable to tether to. But it's also a rarely used vehicle for DD to be riding in, so I just haven't gotten around to it.

And of course, you must turn off the airbag.:D

ETA: it's kind of obvious, but installed in the passenger seat (since it can't go in the driver's seat ;), and the middle is too close to the airbag)

KsJET

Success in a 2005 Town & Country Touring with stow & go FF in the center of the 3rd row using these AWESOME instructions: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=257933&postcount=6

I also got a solid install using latch in both the 3rd row and captain's chairs, but dd is nearly 48lbs so we are sticking with the lap belt/tether location.

ETA: has not been checked by a tech, but it will be soon and I'll add an update

Last edited:

Ella

2003 Toyota Corrolla

both FF:
center seat, I needed to use seatbelt to get it tight.
drivers side, I have installed it both ways (latch and seatbelt) and it was fine both times.

I am not a tech. I did go to a carseat check when it was installed drivers side with latch.

Tara

8/07 Radian 80 in a '98 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition (leather seats is really all that means LOL)

Only 2 vehicle positions have been tried right now.

3rd row, center, lap belt only, light weight locking latch plate:
FF, nice tight install, hub said it was easy (I've not installed it at all yet, I was going to, but hub hauled the seat out as I stayed in the store with the kids, he came back and the store ladies and I were chatting, so he just did the installs for me ;) ) Not that "needs hub strength/easy for him" kind of install. Said it went in quite easily. The belt stalk is really close, have to pull the excess strap through the hole to the front of the seat to adjust well, then just tuck it back in.
RF in same position. Basically the same. Rather easy, secure install. We're in the 'rock your vehicle' club of installs and that was easily achieved both FF and RF in that 3rd row.

2nd row, center, lap belt only, ratcheting lock seatbelt:
FF - not happening! Hub said there was no way it was going to install FF in that position. The belt stalk came too far forward of the bight. Not much, but enough to make a difference. He even tried the "hub brute force" method and it just wasn't going to happen. Couldn't even get it to 1" of movement, let alone any tighter!
RF in that same position went well though. Solid install. Little effort. Just peachy. :)

Neither have been checked by a tech.

I'll get pics if/when I can. Hub has vehicle at work all day everyday. So, we'll see.
But the installs looked great! And he did them so quickly.

Oh...and in that 3rd row...it fits like a dream between two Parkways :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Whoops, always meant to post to this but keep forgetting

2000 (2001? yuck, I forget but I don't think they changed any) Ford F150 single cab. Radian installs RFing, and is currently the only seat on the market that can, due to the long, hard belt stalks of the F150, and the RF boot on the Radian. It's not the easiest install, as you have to make sure to get the latch plate completely inside the belt path (this also makes it VERY hard to uninstall - you have to find something to poke the buckle with from the opposite side, since you can't reach it when it's totally inside the belt path). As of yet, I have not been able to find anything suitable to tether to. But it's also a rarely used vehicle for DD to be riding in, so I just haven't gotten around to it.

And of course, you must turn off the airbag.:D

ETA: it's kind of obvious, but installed in the passenger seat (since it can't go in the driver's seat ;), and the middle is too close to the airbag)

Must be a 2000.

My parents have a 2001 with very short fixed buckle stalk that are forward of the bight. Despite that, the Radian installs *very* easily with seatbelt forward facing.

It is a 2001 F150 SuperCrewCab.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
2002 GMC Jimmy

RFing Outboard... went in easily, RF tether to d-ring wrapped around inside passenger seat track leg.

FFing Outboard... leave head restraint in back position until installation is complete, then bring forward into position

FFing Center... a little more work, requires you to unbuckle the seatbelt and let it retract 2 - 3 clicks and then work to rebuckle the seatbelt.

All FFing installations require you to push *down* on the seat instead of back and start with the seat about 1" away from the vehicle seat bight.

Stretchy Glue

05 GMC Envoy (Standard wheelbase, no 3rd seat)
RF outboard, LATCH and seatbelt
FF outboard, LATCH and seatbelt
SUPER TIGHT, super easy. My belt stalks are recessed so it helped a lot. Chevy Trailblazers are similar but may have different stalks.
Center would work but I had a husky in the other side and didn't have a lot of time to take it out to practice.

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
My recent successful Radian installs:

Nissan Murano 2005 - FF outboard, LATCH (sister's car - haven't had time to try w/ seatbelt yet or RFing yet, I'll update this post when I try it).

Pontiac Bonneville 2000 - FF center, lap belt, twisted buckle stalk 2 times.

iguanamama

SUCCESSFULL RADIAN INSTALL:

2005 Nissan Xterra
R/F Outboard position using LATCH & Tether
Installed by Tech

UNSUCCESSFUL:

2005 Nissan Xterr
R/F Center position using L/S Belt (No Center LATCH)
Verified by Tech

Misty-Bug

sorry I forgot to post here I think.

Successfully installed after many fights and pictures and phone calls.

1996, Ford Taurus Station wagon.
Center, lap belt

stalk twisted to shorten belt path and belt twisted to fully lock.

andbabiesmake4

2006 Ford F150 outboard with latch.

Can I just say what a pain in the butt?? LOL Maybe because it was the first time I installed a radian (and feel spoiled by how easy the MAs are..) but it took me 20-30 mins to get it in.. but I'm pretty confident it'll be smooth sailing next time now that I get it.
I tried seatbelt and that was a no go for now.. better luck next time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC