Question 2011 Kia Optima?

tinytoy

I am looking for some real-person reviews on the 2011 Kia Optima. DH and I are considering replacing our 2003 Saab 9-3 and the '11 Optima has good reviews (I believe voted best of 2011 by cars.com and a most wanted by Edmunds), good gas mileage, decent price, excellent warranty, comparable size to the Saab.

But, is it really that great? We have 2 kids, won't be having any more. Ideally a bigger sedan would be nice but I don't want a big car payment. If the Optima really is comparable in size to the Saab than I shouldn't have issues fitting DD2 RF in a Diplomat. I have no need to ever fit 3 across back there (and our other car is a Ford Explorer.) The 10 year / 100,000 powertrain warranty is very appealing. Our biggest gripe about the Saab at the moment is that we're constantly putting money into it. But, we don't have a car payment on it either.

I'd either go for the LX and have it re-upholstered in leather, or an EX without any added $ options but I can't seem to find one of these. All the dealers in our area have jacked-up EXs which add about $6000 worth of stuff I don't need onto the price tag. And they're making it sound as though it's not possible to order a baseline EX from Kia, like there was a limited number and now they're gone. Has to be leather though; I can't tolerate cloth interior.

If you own one, do you like it?

ADS

Mags462

I don't own one - but i have seriously considered getting one ;)

You live in a metro area - play the dealerships. Seriously. They are all trying to tell you what you want cannot be had - BS! They personally may not have it on their lots, but that doesn't mean they cannot get it from someone else's. My MIL wanted a 2011 Escape midline with a sunroof and leather. No DVD, no 4wd, no gps.... there was not one like that sitting on a lot at a Ford dealer in the entire state. But she did find a dealership willing to get it for her. There was exactly what she wanted (color and all!) in Houston - a local dealership took care of it. She loves her car.

So find a dealership that will work with you.... and use them against one another to your advantage. If X guy down the road will give you a,b,c and a certain price don't be afraid to let Z guy know.... they will really get hopping! :p

tinytoy

It's funny you say that because a dealer called DH and said he'd have one of his LXs reupholstered in leather if that's what I wanted. lol

That said, we're now thinking we'll probably keep the Saab a while longer and save some money. I am keeping my eyes open for deals, though.

:)

Dad seriously considered one, altho he liked the Hyundai Sonata better. Ended up just selling his car and using the spare car but I really liked the Optima.

Sizewise it's prolly bigger than the Saab.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Unless the Optima is in short supply, ask a dealer to drive one overnight. Most dealers will do this on most cars. Then you can check your carseats and make sure you like everything.

As for buying, use any and all price services you can. Carsdirect, Carwoo, Costco/Sams, credit union, etc. You'll be contacted by tons of dealers and will quickly find those who are really trying to earn your business and filter out the ones who are not very serious.

Funny thing about leather. I don't like it. Had it in my Odyssey and it was hot, sweaty and showed more wear than our cloth seats ever did. I have cloth again now and am very happy. I'd do leather in the future, but only if it is perforated and has climate control in the seats like many some GM cars do!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I *pink sparkly heart* my optima. Mine is a 2007 model, which is the first year of the newer body style. It has only gotten nicer and better on the '11 model. Yes, it's a first cousin to the Sonata. Hyundai/Kia have a great warranty package, these new gen vehicles are very reliable, nice, and the newest ones have good mileage. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it, and it's now 4 years old. The trunk is HUGE. Like seriously, way bigger than in many cars or smaller SUV's, etc. I participate in a co-op and have gotten like 50 gallons of milk in there LOL.

The bad - it is, for all intents and purposes, if you have children in carseats/boosters, a 2-seater backseat. As long as you are 100000% sure you are not having another, then it's great. But it's a nightmare for 3-across. Even for 2 seats and a person, it's really just not ok. I know you said that you don't need to and you have a bigger vehicle, so that's ok, but just know that you will HAVE to use that bigger vehicle, unless you want to wrestle a couple of very specific 3-across arrangements into place in the Optima.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC