NHTSA testing standards

Angela

Does NHTSA publish what standards car seats need to meet? I googled a bit, but didn't find anything.

ETA: Nevermind... found FMVSS 213 with all the info. :)

ADS

Pixels

If you want some help understanding it, ask away. While I'm certainly no expert, I've read through it several times and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on it.

Angela

I was asking in regards to labeling. I know it says that labels have to be permanently attached, but I'm curious how NHTSA actually tests this.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Angela said:
I was asking in regards to labeling. I know it says that labels have to be permanently attached, but I'm curious how NHTSA actually tests this.

Oh. I don't think they do test for that.

Also, are you sure they have to be permanently attached? I thought they just needed stickers to be sold. I'll defer to Pixels on that one. (She may claim not to be an expert, but she's about the closest we have.)

Pixels

They don't test for it. I don't know exactly how they define "permanently." Five years? Ten years? Until the rest of the restraint has turned to dust? Car seat expiration is not a part of the regulation, so that's not the measuring stick.

Angela

Here's what the Chicco rep told me in response to their stickers coming off:

The Chicco labels have been tested to and meet not only the NHTSA standards, but also the more stringent Canadian standards for permanency.

That's why I'm curious about how they're 'tested'. I see what you're saying about what they mean about how long a permanent label needs to be attached. To me, it just means that it won't come off before the seat is expired. It would be nice to know what time period they're talking about.

Pixels

Here's what the Chicco rep told me in response to their stickers coming off:

The Chicco labels have been tested to and meet not only the NHTSA standards, but also the more stringent Canadian standards for permanency.

That's why I'm curious about how they're 'tested'. I see what you're saying about what they mean about how long a permanent label needs to be attached. To me, it just means that it won't come off before the seat is expired. It would be nice to know what time period they're talking about.

Well, you could always report it as a defect to NHTSA. If they get enough complaints about stickers falling off within a short time frame, NHTSA may look into the issue and determine that the provided stickers aren't "permanent."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC