Why not rstv for main restraint?

christineka

We have two rstvs now and dh loves them. He thinks we should just get rid of car seats (aside from the rear-facing ones) and get all rstvs. Why wouldn't you use them for a main seat? Is the rstv less safe than a regular, forward facing car seat or booster?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It's just as safe, but not nearly as comfy for a lot of kids. Plus , I'm not sure how many kids can thread the belts themselves. Plus, no sleep support. Plus, I just would hate that idea personally because I hate using the RSTV.

lovemybabies924

I would if I had to switch cars constantly or used taxis, but I love my seats in my van hehe

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's just not as convenient. It's plenty safe, though.

I am very much loving that we can now, between the 2 RSTVs and the BubbleBum, put all 3 kids safely in just about any car. Not maximum safety, Maggie still rear-faces in our car and Emma is either harnessed or in a high-back most of the time, but safe enough for short trips, and really easy to throw in a bag or hang on the handles of a stroller, or under a stroller in a basket, and just go.

bnsnyde

Is the lack of a shell an issue?
For side-impacts?
Wouldn't it be best (or simply ideal) to have a shell and head-rest, along with foam, as opposed to no shell?

I am also curious.

Pixels

Is the lack of a shell an issue?
For side-impacts?
Wouldn't it be best (or simply ideal) to have a shell and head-rest, along with foam, as opposed to no shell?

I am also curious.

For side impacts, yes the shell probably would be beneficial. For a frontal or rear impact, it probably doesn't really matter. The vehicle seat has some cushion and give to it, that will function pretty much the same as foam. And of course if the vehicle doesn't provide adequate head support then that seating position can't be used at all with the RSTV, so the head rest provided by a shelled seat isn't any improvement.

ntrenary

It's just as safe, but not nearly as comfy for a lot of kids. Plus , I'm not sure how many kids can thread the belts themselves. Plus, no sleep support. Plus, I just would hate that idea personally because I hate using the RSTV.

I agree with all this, and I'll add that it takes me a lot longer to get my kids in and out of the RSTV than a carseat, but I love how portable it is. I use it in my moms car and it was great when we were moving last month and had to get all 4 kids into our little sedan so we could cram all the boxes into the van.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
He really likes it? How much has he used it? I'd be ok using it full time if the kid were only in the car one time but holy cow is it a pain for in-and-out of the car errand days. Have you guys tried the Go? It's ultra small and easier to buckle. Still not great for sleep support, but my dh really, really likes ours (and it's not terribly comfortable, but I do plop bigger kids in the booster without the harness rather than remove the whole seat or take the back off... yeah, misuse, I know, I know :rolleyes::cool:)

ETA: My brain went straight to your dh using it in his car only... I'd rather pull my fingernails out than load a crew of kids into a minivan even one time with all RSTV's, I can't believe he'd suggest that!

christineka

Dh suggests we add the subject of "car seat buckling" to our homeschool days. He figures if we practice car seat (or vest in this case) buckling 10 minutes every day, the kids should be able to do themselves up. Dh has never actually used the rstv, so he has no clue how much more difficult it is that the 5 point harness.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'm glad I have an RSTV because I can't fit a booster (and I've tried LOTS of boosters) in my honda civic with a Radian installed in the center. I'll be using it full time when the child I babysit outgrows the FF Radian.

BUT... I really am not all that thrilled with it. I'm only using it because I've exhausted all other options (short of driving the Suburban everywhere, which is not an economical choice, or a Bubble Bum which I am even less confident in). I do not see how it's as safe as a high-back booster, let alone a car seat. It certainly doesn't count as a "harness" as near as I can tell because the top tether can't be used with a lap/shoulder combination (if I had a lap belt and top tether, that would be different). I've decided to keep the Monterey booster for the Suburban and I feel a lot more comfortable with that.

I know there aren't any standards for side impact protection, but I feel a lot more comfortable with some kind of seat around my kid. I would not choose an RSTV over any harnessed car seat on the market, given the option of a seat that fits the child and the car properly.

gsdguenter

Brigala said:
I do not see how it's as safe as a high-back booster, let alone a car seat. It certainly doesn't count as a "harness" as near as I can tell because the top tether can't be used with a lap/shoulder combination (if I had a lap belt and top tether, that would be different). comfortable with some kind of seat around my kid. I would not choose an RSTV over any harnessed car seat on the market, given the option of a seat that fits the child and the car properly.

You CAN use the top tether with the lap and shoulder belt with the RSTV.

I love our RSTV and feel totally comfyable using it everyday.

Pixels

It certainly doesn't count as a "harness" as near as I can tell because the top tether can't be used with a lap/shoulder combination (if I had a lap belt and top tether, that would be different).

Your reasoning is incorrect but the conclusion is correct. It's a fancy booster seat, not a harness.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's not like a booster seat in the way it works. It is more like a 5-point harness. The vest spreads the forces over the whole torso, not over 3 points like a seatbelt with or without a booster does.

The old style had a lockoff at the top that kept kids from squirming as much. That's missing on the new-style, and I'm no longer comfortable with 3 year olds in it unless the tether can be used to help keep them in place.

Pixels

The biggest problem with 3yos in boosters is that they cannot be trusted to stay in position. The old RSTV held the shoulder belt securely, so once installed, the child couldn't move out of position. As long as the child left the big red buttons alone, there wasn't much the child could do to put him/herself at risk.

The new RSTVs don't hold the shoulder belt securely so unless you have locking latchplates and the tether used, the child can slide around and introduce slack.

FTR, I'm not comfortable with a 3yo in the new RSTV in most scenarios. Even if we had an old vest, my own 3yo would not be allowed to use it because she likes to unbuckle things. Those red buttons are just too tempting for me to even consider putting her in one at this point.

christineka

The instructions did not mention anything about locking the seatbelt, but can I? I have been just because I can't see letting my kid ride in the vest without locking it without the top tether. (I have anchors in my car, but I used it in a relative's car and didn't know where the anchors were located.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
KQ, the manufacturer calls it a booster seat, not a harness.

Yes I know they do, but they also don't speak great English. ;)

It's neither. It's not a booster or a harness, it's a vest. The way it performs though is more like a harness than a booster, whether or not the tether is used.

gsdguenter

Crap, when I used it to try it out with DD1 I locked the seat belt. Was I not supposed to? If not, there is now way I'd let her ride in it. She wouldn't be able to sit still. But, with the seat belt locked she was in position well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC