Making a list (and want to check it twice)

bnsnyde

I need 3 things:
A list of convertibles that DON'T fit newborns. (And what's the best response to a parent who has it ready for a baby about to be born)?
A list of any vehicles that ALLOW you to use latch in the center (and does this include any funky arrangement)?
A list of seats that ALLOW an angle more upright than 45 degrees RF.
What age do you say it's OK to not be 45 degrees anymore (if the seat allows)?

I have an idea but need to see if I'm missing any for all of this. Thanks!

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
A list of seats that ALLOW an angle more upright than 45 degrees RF.
What age do you say it's OK to not be 45 degrees anymore (if the seat allows)?

I have an idea but need to see if I'm missing any for all of this. Thanks![/QUOTE]

In addition to the seats mentioned - the "classic" Britax seats tend not to fit newborns or small babies, neither do the Recaro convertibles, the Orbit convertible doesn't even start until 15# (doubt you'll be seeing that much), and the Safety 1st Avenue's bottom slots are high for most newbies.

If a family has a seat that won't fit a newborn well, you should address it just as any other seat that's not the best option - give them the reasons why the seat may not fit will or may not be recommended for their child/situation, suggest options or features to look for that might work better for them, and let them make the decision what they're going to do.

Center LATCH is a huge list... do you have a current LATCH manual? If so, it's on pages 153 and 156. Someone may have already posted it somewhere here on the forum, too. If you can't find the list and don't have the LATCH manual, PM me. I'll scan the pages in and email them to you. If you think you're going to be dealing w/ LATCH issues a lot, you should probably purchase your own LATCH manual (it's a very handy book!).

The Britax seats allow recline in the range of 30 and 45 degrees from vertical. The "classic" seats have a red line that is level at 45 degrees (but the seat can still be more upright); the "new gen" seats have a blue line that is level midway within the range (so they can be a little more upright or more reclined than when the line is level).

The new Pria has a recline of 35 when the level line is level, but w/ the Tiny Fit insert it's about 45 degrees reclined internally.

I don't think SKJP/Diono specifies a range of recline, but I'm pretty sure whatever you can get w/ the boot still on is ok.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think all seats can be more upright with the exception of Evenflo and Dorel (minus the Pria).

The new Britax seats need the infant insert (purchased separately) for newborns.

LATCH in the center, as stated, is complex. The car seat also needs to allow it if the spacing isn't standard. I second purchasing a LATCH Manual.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
monica-m said:
They didn't give you a LATCH manual in your class?

I'd say it's pretty rare for that to happen. Neither of the coalitions I work with give out LATCH Manuals.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Until you can get a LATCH manual, this page about center LATCH might provide a decent overview of the various configurations of LATCH in different model cars and which car seat and car manufacturers allow certain LATCH installations.

The Graco My Ride has a ball indicator, and it's easy to install it more upright while still remaining within the allowable range.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Response for parents that already own a convertible not likely to fit a noob:

Something the manual kind of glosses over is that infants have to meet the minimum weight limit AND have their shoulders even with or higher than the lowest harness slot before they are big enough to use the seat. On average, most newborns won't be tall enough for harness slots higher than 7-8 inches, and this seat has slots that are 10+ inches tall. Your baby might be one of the ones who does fit, but you'll want to measure teh baby from but to shoulders and have a seat with lower slots picked out and a person in charge of getting it to you sppedy quick if it baby is going to be too short.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC