Question Booster for 2nd row 2002 Odyssey – Frontier XT, Monterey, Oobr or ??

peachesmum

Booster for 2nd row 2002 Odyssey – Frontier XT, Monterey, Oobr or ??

My daughter is almost 6, 48” tall and weighs 47lb. She currently rides harnessed in a Nautilus most of the time (Radian occasionally) and has only a little room left in either seat. I’ve caught up on my reading here and plan to start booster training in a few months (sooner if she outgrows her Nautilus before that). Last week I purchased a Frontier XT SICT. I need to decide whether to keep it or return (or sell) it.

My primary concern is to provide her with the safest ride that I can. Cost is not a factor for me when it comes to car seats (though obviously it is elsewhere – I’ve still got a 2002 van!).

Our Odyssey does not have side air bags in the 2nd row. She rides in a captains chair in the 2nd row on the passenger side in the inboard (closer to centre, away from the door) position. I want to keep her in this position because I feel it’s beneficial to be that extra 9 inches or so away from the door in case of an accident.

Question 1: What booster would you recommend based on our vehicle, her seating position and her build? I am focused on fit for her and the vehicle, but also very much on safety features (side impact protection, latch, etc). I like the idea of the rigid latch in the Oobr and the safe recline for sleeping (she does fall asleep about once a month in the van), but its height limit looks to be lower than other options and I’ve read/seen that it doesn’t offer a lot of leg support, which seems like it might be a disadvantage as my DD is tall with long legs. I will be in no hurry to get her out of the high back booster. Then again, I suppose I could get her another high back booster when the time came…

Question 2: If you suggested keeping the Frontier XT SICT as a best choice as a booster, do you know whether it is possible to get a secure install (to use harnessed for the timebeing) in the 2nd row captains chair in the inboard (away from the door) position. The videos I have found all show the outboard position. I tried to install it in the inboard position (reclined the seat first) and had such a dismal experience that I began to question whether it is even possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi there!

We have no way of knowing whether one booster is safer than the others. There is no standard for testing side impact protection, and no solid proof that LATCHing a booster provides any safety benefit over a non-LATCHed booster. (I think there was a study that found that LATCH helps in some crashes, but then another study that shows it might be detrimental.)

Point being: As long as it fits your child and your vehicle, it's a good choice.

Many people here (including myself) like boosters with LATCH, especially because it takes away the risk of it being a projectile when not in use. But it's definitely not a necessity.

I wanted to love the oobr, but it didn't provide enough leg support for my son. If you can find one to try, though, it might be worth a look.

As for the Frontier, I don't have experience with it in that car, so I can't help there. I'm sure someone else can though.

misstj9

peachesmum

Re: Booster for 2nd row 2002 Odyssey – Frontier XT, Monterey, Oobr or ??

Thanks for the replies. I'm always hoping for some sort of definitive answer regarding the safest option - I wish that more testing would be done to find out!

The Monterey looks like a good fit in the photo and is definitely worth considering.

Still wondering if I should keep the Frontier XT, if it can be installed 2nd row inboard and if it's generally a good fit as a booster in the Odyssey (I can check it on my daughter.

Thanks!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Bumping this up for you.

If you don't get any replies about the Frontier, maybe start a new thread. People seeing this one probably assume it's just about boosters (based on the title).

To clarify, you have one of the captain's chairs moved to the center(ish) position, and you're trying to install with the seat belt? What problem are you running into?

peachesmum

Re: Booster for 2nd row 2002 Odyssey – Frontier XT, Monterey, Oobr or ??

Thanks, Jennie. I was thinking about reposting but wanted to wait a bit before cluttering up the boards :)

I haven't been able to get a tight install with the Frontier in the captains seat in the inboard position. I've tried the short and long belt paths, and both ways I have reclined the seat beforehand. The Frontier moves several inches each way. I am wondering if the problem is the angle that the seatbelt somes from relative to the belt path (off to the side and behind), or if I just need to keep trying with more determination and muscle!

I've had no problem getting a tight install in this position with the Nautilus or our previous seat, a Marathon, but the belt path does seem to be at a different angle for the Frontier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC