Frontier85 and child able to unbuckle?

dneul

Does anyone else have a child who sits in the frontier85 using the harness that is able to buckle and UNbuckle themselves? She can buckle herself with the chest clip and the crotch buckle without me having to loosen the harness and then is able to completely unbuckle herself as well.

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Yes, DD has been in a Frontier part time since age 4 1/2 and has been able to buckle and unbuckle herself that entire time. She was already accustomed to Britax buckles and had been buckling/unbuckling her Marathon for awhile before that.

VoodooChile

Ours is an 80 and has been a booster since Nov., but dd was able to unbuckle (only when given the "all-clear") for several months before we switched it.

macmomma

my 4y6m old has been able to buckle and unbuckle himself Frontier85 since we got it about 4-5 month ago. He is on the smaller side with 40 inches and 33lbs but has no issues with it whatsoever :)

Mommy0608

My DD must be the odd one out then... she can buckle the chest clip very easily, and usually can do the crotch buckle but it takes her a few minutes. She can undo the chest clip but not the crotch buckle. Probably not a bad thing though, in her case. :p

cmm7

Z can buckle and unbuckle the 80. I had to teacher her how to do both without loosening it, though. To buckle I had to tell her to line it up then lean back to click it in. Otherwise if she was leaning forward there wasn't enough slack to actually click it in.

To unbuckle I taught her to slip both hand between the buckle and herself, with all the fingers, but thumbs out front. Then she uses both thmbs to push the button and it is more of a squeeze with her hands versus a push.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My DD must be the odd one out then... she can buckle the chest clip very easily, and usually can do the crotch buckle but it takes her a few minutes. She can undo the chest clip but not the crotch buckle. Probably not a bad thing though, in her case. :p

This is my smaller twin Ricky. To a 'T'. Though he's getting better about buckling. His twin brother Patrick has been able to buckle/unbuckle for months, though sometimes he gets lazy and just wants me to do it. LOL They are almost 4yrs 3mo.

ILoveMy3Boys

My 4.5 year olds just recently started being able to unbuckle themselves in their FR85s. They rarely try to buckle themselves though because when they do they get very frustrated. Even just being able to unbuckle themselves is amazingly helpful!

luvsviola

DD is 4.5 and she can buckle/unbuckle her own Frontier most of the time. Sometimes, the chest clip gives her trouble, though.

misstj9

DS #2, 5y8m, can buckle his FR80 with no problem and has been able to for almost 2 years. But he can't unbuckle the bottom no matter what! But, given his behavior/attitude somedays, I like having that bit of control and I haven't pushed him to learn! (He's the type that would do it when i'm driving just cause!!)

momtotwogirls

Mine must be the odd one out. She can only buckle the chest clip but cannot buckle her crotch buckle or unbuckle either. I am going to be working on it this year so that she will be able to do it next yr when she goes to school.

alake

I am Canadian, and have my girls in Frontier XT's. Summer is five and a half, and she can buckle and unbuckle herself with no help. I don't loosen the straps at all. She does her car seat and positions her chest strap herself. I double check everything. Leah who is four today!!! can buckle herself in, sometimes has problems with one of the lower clips, but other than that does it herself, and as with Summer I just check everything on her. She however doesn't have strong enough hands to unbuckle herself. She requires help. My girls can buckle themselves in where there harness is tight, but my sister needs to loosen the harnesses on the seats when she puts the girls in, cause she can't get them buckled.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC