Mazda5 Review

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Is it a concern that it touches the top of the car?

:shrug-shoulders: Not that I know of. It's not crammed against the top, just touching, and with a child big enough to need the tallest booster setting adding weight to the seat I don't think it would touch at all.

ADS

teekadog

Thanks, I was just wondering yesterday how tall would be too tall for a cs in the 5.

If it's not too much to ask, pictures sometime? With kids in them? Pretty pretty please? :)

Defrost

Thanks, I was just wondering yesterday how tall would be too tall for a cs in the 5.

If it's not too much to ask, pictures sometime? With kids in them? Pretty pretty please? :)

Yeah, I forgot my camera when I went over to Gypsy's for our carseat playdate! :thumbsdown: for me!

She's coming over today and I'll try to do it again, but Fighter's having his teeth extracted this morning, so it'll depend on how much attention he needs afterward.

southpawboston

Debbie, sorry if this has been asked, is there the option to have one of the second row seats in the middle spot at all? Thanks. :)

i'm not debbie, but i know that you can't do that, not on US models. the seats are fixed outboard. the european market version has a second row middle seat option, it makes the car a 7-seater.

Defrost

Here's the Nautilus in the Mazda 5, and I just have to add that I'm in love with this carseat. Not enough to replace either of the ones I have, but if I were buying right now, the GN would win, hands-down! :)

Nautilus, second row:
IMG_1783.jpg

Nautilus, third row, headrest in highest mode (booster):
IMG_1785.jpg

(Note how well it positions the seat belt, even with the shoulder belt so far forward - I'd feel comfortable using it this way.)

Nautilus, third row, headrest at the 2nd-to-top slots:
IMG_1789.jpg

Just having anyone riding in the third row blocks the view considerably, so I don't really consider this a "no-go" just because of the height.

Defrost

Ooo, I love your dd's haircut! Thanks for the pics.

So I should stop looking at the Regent and look at the G-Nauti ;) instead?

Thanks! She's ready for it to grow out; the novelty of "not having to brush it" is wearing off LOL. She looks like such a little pixie with it this way, though! :love:

Unless you really need the extra top-slot height or width/depth of the Regent, yes, I'd go for a GN instead. It was considerably easier to install and left more legroom. Plus, if you need to put a booster-kid in the third row, the GN is thick enough to fill in most of the gap left by that awful shoulder belt.

dimsumdaddy

I'm still considering a Mazda5.

I have a question... when I test drove the Mazda5, I found that the 3rd row seat to be very cramped in the legroom department. In my case, I have 3 kids, so I need to have a kid seat back there. I forgot to try and adjust the 2nd row seats.

Can the 2nd row seats be pushed forward to give more legroom to the 3rd row?

Defrost

I'm still considering a Mazda5.

I have a question... when I test drove the Mazda5, I found that the 3rd row seat to be very cramped in the legroom department. In my case, I have 3 kids, so I need to have a kid seat back there. I forgot to try and adjust the 2nd row seats.

Can the 2nd row seats be pushed forward to give more legroom to the 3rd row?

Oh yes! It's very cramped if the 2nd row seats are all the way back, but moved up they provide a decent amount of legroom for all parties. The 3rd row seats are fairly low - I tend to think of them as the "carpool" seats, because I don't think they were designed with everyday use in mind. My 13yo sits in the third row - he's 5'3" last time I checked, possibly taller by now. His issue is more the seat height than the leg room - with his feet on the floor, his knees are above the seat.

Kids in carseats or boosters fit better in the 3rd row (if you can get the carseat or booster to fit, of course!) My other three kids, all still in boosters or carseats, are quite comfortable back there. When my dh is with us, he's got his seat pushed all the way back. The 2nd row seat behind him is pushed back about 2 clicks to give that carseat-kid some legroom, which leaves plenty of space for the 3rd row boostered-kid behind her.

teekadog

Safeguard in the 5

(Sorry, no pics, I use my SLR over my digital *where's the "old school" smilie?*)

And remember, I'm NOT A CPST.

I bought (with return shipping) a Safeguard to try for my 5yo in the 3rd row, because she was complaining about her new Regent. We will be keeping the Regent and returning the Safeguard because:

-- dd now :love: her Regent because I threatened to exchange it for the SG :rolleyes:
-- it doesn't install as tightly as the Regent (LBP, recline bar) in the 3rd row
-- it extends past the bottom seat cushion in the 3rd row, which SG says is a no-no
-- it is difficult to reach the harness loosening mechanism when the 2nd row is pushed all the way back

But all in all, I LOVE the SG. It is everything a carseat should be... I loved the instructional DVD-- why don't they all come with that??? It was easy to fit to any child. Pop in my 5yo, good to go. Pop in my 3yo, good to go. But for a seat made to keep a child harnessed as long as possible, it would be nice if it were a bigger seat. It took up almost as much room in the 3rd row as the Regent, but with a much smaller seating area for the child. I'll put it this way: My childbearing hips fit in the Regent- they do not in the SG. While it was easy to install with a seatbelt in the 3rd row, it took more wrestling to get it tight than the Regent did. In the 2nd row, it was fun to use the retracting latch function, but it didn't give as tight an install as I like. I managed to get a tighter install with the seatbelt (the SG did not extend over the seat cushion in the 2nd row). The harness function is fun to use too, if you can access it easily. And it's just A REALLY COOL SEAT. I wish Britax and Safeguard would mate... :love:

teekadog

I returned the Safeguard today. It was sad to do so, but it just doesn't fit in the 3rd row because of the overhang issue. It fit like a dream in the 2nd row, but that's not what I need. Fit like a dream in the front passenger seat too, but I don't need that either !

Last edited:

Defrost

All right, here's some more pics.

Infant seat. This is a Baby-Trend Flex-Loc; the handle cannot be up so it takes up a lot of front-to-back space.

2nd row, front passenger seat is all the way back, 2nd row seat all the way back:
IMG_1996.jpg

Base installed in the 3rd row (no LATCH); twist buckle stalk, tighten, unbuckle, tighten a click more, re-buckle:
IMG_1983.jpg

2nd row legroom with the infant seat behind it:
IMG_1979.jpg

You can load the infant seat pretty easily through the cargo hatch as long as the handle is down (if you've got carseats installed in the 2nd row seats, for example):
IMG_1975.jpg

Defrost

Some general "how much room" pics.

2nd row folded flat (you have to open the base for it to fold flat; the headrest is removed in this picture but it will fold flat with the headrest on, too):
IMG_1980.jpg

Cargo room with 2nd and 3rd rows both folded flat:
IMG_1992.jpg

6' adult in the 3rd row (everyone say "hi" to my very understanding dh!)
IMG_2004.jpg

Dh's legroom in the 3rd row with the 2nd row seat all the way back:
IMG_2008.jpg

How much room you have to access the 3rd row:
IMG_2002.jpg

Defrost

The SafeGuard in the Mazda5. It installs well in the 2nd row, but unfortunately is incompatible in the 3rd row because the SafeGuard does not allow any overhang.

2nd row:
DSC00001.jpg
DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg
DSC00006.jpg

In the 3rd row, next to a Regent. As you can see, it does not overhang the front of the vehicle seat any more than the Regent, but the Regent allows up to 20% of the carseat to overhang and the SafeGuard doesn't allow any:
DSC00007.jpg
DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg
DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg
DSC00012.jpg

Defrost

Last pic for today: my Shiny Mazda 5 in her new tires! It came with 205/50R17. The new ones are "P205/55R-16."

IMG_2035.jpg

I also took some pics of all the cubbies because I love all the ways they snuck little storage areas into this car, but then I realized we are serious need of a spring cleaning, so I'll re-take those after I get her cleaned out! :D

niccig

Debbie, thanks for all the pictures, especialy the Safeugard, as that's DS main seat. The 3rd row does not look any more squished than my current 3rd row in Subaru Tribeca, and the access may actually be easier as the car isn't so high off the ground. As the shortest family member, I'm always the person in the back on the few occassions we actually need the 3rd row, if your 6' DH can fit in there, then I certainly can. I really want to test drive this car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC