Mazda5 Review

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yeah, all very true. I at least knew the locking clip idea was bad :) I was just surprised dh knew what one was :p

LOL! Yeah, I'd probably have the same reaction if my husband said it! And we have mucho experience with locking clips, too, but I still doubt he has any clue what it's called or what it's used for.

So do you think there's any solution? I'd love to recommend this car to people, especially my best friend with 3 kids, but 2 of her kids would have the same trouble you're having...

I'm honestly not sure. I've yet to get any answers about the acceptability of this issue - it seems to have been completely overlooked as a safety issue. I'm still in the process of making calls, though. I'll be sure to post when/if I get any answers!

ADS

teekadog

I'm honestly not sure. I've yet to get any answers about the acceptability of this issue - it seems to have been completely overlooked as a safety issue. I'm still in the process of making calls, though. I'll be sure to post when/if I get any answers!

Please let me know if I can help! I'm no tech, but I can be darn persuasive as a consumer :evil grin:

:cool:

Defrost

I'm still waiting on a call-back (I've left two voicemails now...) :whistle: BUT I've got an EZ-On 86-Y coming in early next week that should almost certainly completely correct the problem; I'll post more on that when I get it and see how well it works, but I'm really excited about it!

In the meantime, I got some pics of my kids in the Mazda5, and thought I'd share so others can see what it looks like with actual people in it!

IMG_0845.jpg

This is what a Husky in the rear row looks like:
IMG_0843.jpg

And this is the other rear row seat with my 9yo in a Laptop:
IMG_0848.jpg

teekadog

Oh man, that looks great! I've been meaning to say you have a great looking family and that just proves my point. Please do keep us posted on the EZ-on 86-Y.

twom

Just to make sure, is your 9yo under 51"? The Laptop does have a height limit as well as a weight limit. He's probably fine, as you really seem to know what you're doing, but I just wanted to be sure. :)

Defrost

Oh man, that looks great! I've been meaning to say you have a great looking family and that just proves my point. Please do keep us posted on the EZ-on 86-Y.

Thanks, and I will! It just came in today & I get to play with it tomorrow!

Defrost

Just to make sure, is your 9yo under 51"? The Laptop does have a height limit as well as a weight limit. He's probably fine, as you really seem to know what you're doing, but I just wanted to be sure. :)

Actually, he's just under 51". :( However, I'm really not sure how concerning that is. I think it's just on there because they're required to put a height limit on there, yk? Because what really counts with this seat is torso height, and there's nothing on there about torso height. It definitely covers a good portion of his chest, though, so I'm okay with the fit.

*Fingers crossed* he'll be moving to the 86-Y tomorrow so it won't be an issue anymore! (I'm entirely too excited about playing with this harness!!!)

Defrost

Another update:

We don't actually have a long-term solution for the seat belt problem. The heavy-weight tether anchor for the 86Y cannot be installed in this vehicle, so once my third child reaches 65lbs (the guesstimated limit on the vehicle's tether anchor) I'm right back where I started.

The only real solution would be for Mazda to retrofit the rear-row seat belts. This is possible based on the vehicle's body style but unlikely that Mazda will ever do it.
:( :mad: :eek: :thumbsdown:

Defrost

Yet another update:

My friend brought me a recline bar today, so we were able to test out the Husky with the recline bar and both long & short belt paths for seat belts, and SBP for LATCH (no LBP LATCH strap since the Huskies weren't included in the new advisory).

A Regent absolutely will not install with the recline bar in the rear-row seating position (no LATCH). Two techs and one mom with lots of experience installing a Husky tried for over an hour, and we could not get it tight enough. As the Regent now requires the recline bar, it would not be a solution to the seat belt problem we've been having with this vehicle. (I'm just glad we've got a Husky!)

It installs rock-solid with the recline bar and SBP LATCH in the center row, and is acceptable with the recline bar and both belt paths with seat belt in the center row - nice & tight once the tether is hooked.

ETA: I was wrong, it CAN be installed with the recline bar in the rear row! It just needed to be a bit more reclined than I typically have my carseats. It wasn't even that hard, it's just a matter of getting the angle of the carseat just right.

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Has Mazda ever responded to your questions? Just curious what their response has been... and sorry the heavy duty TA can't be installed, that really sucks. :(

teekadog

Darn on the Regent. I need to put dd1 back there in the New Year, and am starting car seat window shopping-- I guess I'll scratch Regent off my list. Thanks for the info.

Defrost

Just updating again. I wanted to post some pics that illustrate more clearly why the seat belt is a problem, and why I won't let my kids use it. If they were dummies who never moved, it wouldn't be as dangerous...

This is my 13 year old in the center row, with the "good" seat belts. He is not properly positioned, as children often are not, but at least the belt is still at his shoulder even as he moves around:

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

Now here he is in the rear row, with the "bad" seat belt, in the same positions:

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

teekadog

'nother update:

The Radian will not install FF in the rear row, either.

Seriously?!? Or are you just *trying* to make me cry? What choices does that leave me for my 5yo? The new Recaro or the Safeguard??? And don't you dare let my dd know that yet another "pink seat" will not fit...

Defrost

I know - I was so disappointed. :(

My friend Gypsy is getting a Recaro, so I'll be able to test that one out, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC