Mazda5 Review

mcomommy

I have a 2007 and was able to get the radians in the middle row super easy with latch and seatbelt (not at the same time). I was also able to get them in the back seat, Oalthough now from others saying they can't I think I need to try again. I remember it being a good install. One thing I learned that helped with getting seats back there is I remove the headrest and then get the seat as tight as I can and then put the headrest back on and the seats stay tight. Then tether of course.

ADS

chay

I now have an XTSL RF second row and love it. I managed to get it pretty upright (I have the seat in front of it up 1 click so it can be reclined a click and not touch). The first time I put it in was a bit of a challenge learning the tricks but I can now do it fairly easily (it helped once I realized the strap that holds the UAS strap was getting in the way). Now that I've done it a few times I can do it as fast as my MA so I'd say it's pretty easy.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Has anyone put a Frontier in the third row?

Yes, it's a good install but only with the long belt path.

I have a 2007 and was able to get the radians in the middle row super easy with latch and seatbelt (not at the same time). I was also able to get them in the back seat, Oalthough now from others saying they can't I think I need to try again. I remember it being a good install. One thing I learned that helped with getting seats back there is I remove the headrest and then get the seat as tight as I can and then put the headrest back on and the seats stay tight. Then tether of course.

The problem with the Radian FF in the 3rd row is the front-to-back movement - you can get it rock-solid when you check side-to-side, but if you leave it at that and forget to check front-to-back, you could easily miss it. Checking front-to-back movement is done the same way as side-to-side: one hand, at the belt path, a light tug pulled directly forward. No matter what we've tried, we've been unable to get an install that doesn't result in the Radian's base slipping forward several inches at the lightest tug.

Also, the headrest is required to be on and down for 3rd row installs - it's one of the odd quirks of this vehicle, that the 3rd row headrest rules are different than the 2nd row. For the 2nd row, you route the tether under the headrest, for the 3rd row, you have to route the tether over the headrest. This is because the top part of the 3rd row seat backs isn't reinforced, so the headrest provides that reinforcement. (Don't feel bad - I didn't realize this until someone else pointed it out, too!)

Crystal.

CPS Technician
Defrost,
Have you ever tried installing a EFTA in your Mazda 5? I really want to buy one but DH has my Mazda 5 in VA so I can't try it out. If so how did it install in the 2nd row.

I know this was posted a while ago, but thought I would respond in case anyone else was wondering.
I have two ETFA's RF in the 2nd row captains chairs and they're in there rock solid. I was also able to get a good recline angle with my newborn and still have leg room. I've since put them more upright and they're in there wonderfully.

mcomommy

Yes, it's a good install but only with the long belt path.

The problem with the Radian FF in the 3rd row is the front-to-back movement - you can get it rock-solid when you check side-to-side, but if you leave it at that and forget to check front-to-back, you could easily miss it. Checking front-to-back movement is done the same way as side-to-side: one hand, at the belt path, a light tug pulled directly forward. No matter what we've tried, we've been unable to get an install that doesn't result in the Radian's base slipping forward several inches at the lightest tug.

Also, the headrest is required to be on and down for 3rd row installs - it's one of the odd quirks of this vehicle, that the 3rd row headrest rules are different than the 2nd row. For the 2nd row, you route the tether under the headrest, for the 3rd row, you have to route the tether over the headrest. This is because the top part of the 3rd row seat backs isn't reinforced, so the headrest provides that reinforcement. (Don't feel bad - I didn't realize this until someone else pointed it out, too!)

Yeah I knew about the head rest and when I install I always put it back on all the way down and tether over it. I can just get it tighter without so much front to back movement if I take it out first tighten the seat and then shove it back in there.

2sweetgirls

Test drove an 09 today and just wanted to post pics of the cargo space. I was barely able to fit a Maclaren Triumph.

4401573019_9c5e351dd4_b.jpg

Also, I installed a Roundabout in the 2nd row passenger side and 3rd row driver side although I'm not sure it was done properly. I have a picture of the seat in the 2nd row only.

4402338704_4a44038342.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC