Mazda5 Review

teekadog

Thanks for putting the pictures up! Your dh is very understanding. My dh is just over 6', but he is almost all leg, I swear, he barely fits in the driver's seat, so the 3rd row is a never. But I fit fine back there at 5'4". I can even climb back there with 2 rfing Marathons in the 2nd row. My mom has trouble with that manuver--- I tell her to do more yoga :p

I like the pic of the 5 next to the Astro-- my 1st car was an Astro :love:

So your 5 is a "she?" Ours is a boy.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I like the pic of the 5 next to the Astro-- my 1st car was an Astro :love:

YK, that thing has been driving me nuts for years now, but now that it's our back-up, just-in-case vehicle, I like it a lot more. 11 years old and it still starts right up after sitting for two months. We fold the seats down or take them out and haul all kinds of stuff! Two of the doors don't like to open, one of the windows won't roll down - lots of little annoyances if you're driving it every day, but it's a good "work truck."

Dh says it'll be Thomas' first car. :eek:

So your 5 is a "she?" Ours is a boy.

Yep, and it's odd - my other cars have always been "he!"

jewlsvern

Defrost,
Have you ever tried installing a EFTA in your Mazda 5? I really want to buy one but DH has my Mazda 5 in VA so I can't try it out. If so how did it install in the 2nd row.

Defrost

Defrost,
Have you ever tried installing a EFTA in your Mazda 5? I really want to buy one but DH has my Mazda 5 in VA so I can't try it out. If so how did it install in the 2nd row.

No, sorry - that's one I haven't tried! I don't know anyone who has one, either, or I'd give it a shot. I've played with them at the store, though, and I haven't seen anything particular to the carseat that worried me, though. I wouldn't anticipate any issues with the 2nd row for any carseat.

VLsMom

No, sorry - that's one I haven't tried! I don't know anyone who has one, either, or I'd give it a shot. I've played with them at the store, though, and I haven't seen anything particular to the carseat that worried me, though. I wouldn't anticipate any issues with the 2nd row for any carseat.

Not sure if this helps any....but we had a Mazda5 for a loaner vehicle while ours was being serviced one time...and our old model Triumph installed perfect in it.

Milkie&Cookie

I'm looking at a Mazda 5 for my new vehicle. I have an 05 Saturn Vue now and I love it, but I need a 3rd row for long trips so my DH can sit in the back next to DD and play endless games of eensy beensy spider and feed her cheerios.

Do you know if they fixed the seat belt issue for 08? I don't know if it will ever be a problem for me as DS will probably fit in his Regent until he's 16 LOL, but just wondering...

Also, I found the seats to not be very comfy. Are they ok? Did you get the manual?

teekadog

They did not address the 3rd row shoulder belt issue in the 08 model.

IME, "foreign" cars have much less padded seats than American ones, but I've never noticed a comfort difference in the long run. I've spent 8+ hours in the M5 on some trips, even about half of those in the 3rd row. The seat cushioning was not an issue. Wanting to stretch my legs in the 3rd row when the 2nd row seat was all the way back kind of was :p

We don't have the manual, we have the automatic, but we often drive in the manual mode.

Defrost

No, the 3rd row seat belts are the same in the '08. Please keep in mind that at this point, it's a perceived problem - there's no documented risk as far as I've been able to find. I filed a complaint with NHTSA and Mazda, and hopefully they'll look into it. :shrug-shoulders: My issue with it is that I know my kids don't stay properly positioned in those seats, due to the way the seat belt is positioned.

We bought ours in Texas and drove it 1200 miles home. I also deliver pizzas in mine, so I'm in it a lot. I haven't had any comfort issues with the seats myself.

And yes, mine's manual transmission.

littleangelfire

I think I've finally talked the whole household into going in with me on Mazda5. I currently have a '99 Honda Civic coupe EX, and my almost 5 year old son and I outgrew it long ago. On a daily basis - its completely full with me, my 17 year old cousin, my 10 year old sister, and my son. On occasion, I have to switch cars with my mother if I will have an extra kid b/c my sister is bringing a friend home or something. Then I put my son's Regent in the middle of her CRV and my sister and friend sit on the outboard positions, rather squished. This will not be a solution any more when he starts using a booster seat b/c her CRV has only lap belt in the middle position. And on days we can't switch, we're just stuck. :( It stinks. 6 people living in this household so to go anywhere together (like church on Sunday mornings) we have to take 2 cars.

Anyway - I read above that your Mazda5 is a manual shift, Defrost. Was that hard to find or did you order it that way new? I abhor driving an automatic, and so far have only found ONE Mazda5 in a 5 speed and its on eBay, so I'd have to have it shipped. the Mazda dealers here say that to get a 5 speed I'd have to order a brand new one and I can't do that. Just curious how you got yours.

P.Sa. please ezxcusae any aspelling errors.a My keyboard ias malfunctioning asomething fierce. Every time I type "S" or "X" or "Z"I get "as" "zx" and "zx" itsa typing two lettersa inastead of one@! ugh.

Defrost

*chuckle* Well, in answer to that, let me tell you a little story...

I bought mine brand new, and when I was looking, the local dealership had eight of them. I really, really wanted a manual transmission, though, and they didn't have one. Plus I really didn't like any of the eight cars they had - they all had features I didn't want and would have to pay extra for.

Well, my best friend sells Mazdas. She also lives about a thousand miles away in Texas. I called her for advice, and discovered that the dealership she worked for had 35 of the Mazda 5s! Including 5 manual transmissions with the features I wanted. So we worked out the math and found that even including the travel costs, we'd still save nearly two thousand dollars by flying down to her, buying a 5 from her, and then driving it back.

So we did. :D

I know you said you can't buy brand-new, but are you looking at an '08? I'd recommend an '08 if there's any possible way - they have rear air vents and a passenger arm rest, and the '07s don't. The arm rest is basically just an annoyance, but I really hate not having rear air vents, both in the winter and summer. It's not too hard to heat/cool the 3rd row, because the car is still pretty small, but in order to keep the kids comfy I generally have to wear one less layer than them in the winter, and one more layer than them in the summer.

So... I suppose the answer to your question is "yes," I had to work pretty hard to get a manual transmission!

southpawboston

Anyway - I read above that your Mazda5 is a manual shift, Defrost. Was that hard to find or did you order it that way new? I abhor driving an automatic, and so far have only found ONE Mazda5 in a 5 speed and its on eBay, so I'd have to have it shipped. the Mazda dealers here say that to get a 5 speed I'd have to order a brand new one and I can't do that. Just curious how you got yours.

the manual mazda5 is hard to find-- they're only sold in the "base" version ("S"). you can't get the higher end grand touring version with a manual transmission. sucks, i know. when we were shopping for a new mazda, our dealer had one manual mazda5. this was back in 2006.

littleangelfire

*chuckle* Well, in answer to that, let me tell you a little story...

Sheesh. But that matches what I've been experiencing. The dealership here pretty much laughed at me when I said I wanted a manual, and then all shocked, he sputtered - "Why!?" When I told him I preferred driving a manual and that I found it made me pay attention more to the vehicle and my driving and that it was just plain more fun, he said, "Well, you can shift the automatic if you want to." I know that, but its not the same. He said if I wanted a manual shift I'd have to order one brand new. Not only do I not have the money for that, but I have a serious qualm with ordering a brand new vehicle, promising to buy something I've never driven at all at a pretty expensive price. That must sound weird since I'm considering eBay, but the used ones on eBay are half the price of the brand new ones. I'd much prefer an '08, too, but I felt this one on eBay was just 'made' for me b/c its the only one I've seen in all the listings I've been looking at that is a manual shift. Well, that and it would appear no one else wants it quite as much as I do, lol, its on its third time being relisted b/c the reserve price is consistently not being met. Your friend works at a dealership in Texas, eh? The one on eBay is at a dealership in Texas. lol

the manual mazda5 is hard to find-- they're only sold in the "base" version ("S"). you can't get the higher end grand touring version with a manual transmission. sucks, i know. when we were shopping for a new mazda, our dealer had one manual mazda5. this was back in 2006.

Yeah - I saw that when I was looking up reviews on MSN.com said the manual is only available as an option on the sport trim level and none other. I've searched carmax all over the country, both our local dealers, and all of eBay and only ONE Mazda5 is a manual shift.

littleangelfire

I'll PM you with her info if you'd like. She's a GOOD car sales woman. :D

I'd love to at least know if its the same dealership - then perhaps I could try and call and work with her. B/c the salesguy that's listed on teh auction, he didn't seem to interested in talking. Granted, if I don't HAVE to buy a Mazda5 in Texas, I won't, lol, but if where she works has a 5 speed Mazda5 that's not brand new, well, she's got the corner on the market then b/c they're few and far between.

CarseatDiva

I have made the decision! DH has to get a 2008 Mazda5 for his work car! My mind is made up! Done researching! I don't care if he thinks it is silly looking... he can have one with a sunroof... if that makes him feel cool!!!

THANK YOU LADIES for all the pictures and reviews!

chay

I can't seem to see any of the pictures (maybe because they're old) so sorry if this is already answered.

I have an 2008 Mazda 5. I currently have a FF MA and SS1 and I've been able to have great installs both 2nd and 3rd row (the MA FF & RF). Now that the RNXTSL is coming to Canada in a few months with a 45lbs limit I'm planning on getting one so I can RF my oldest again and hand the MA down to my youngest. My questions are:

- how much leg room will my passenger have to give up for the RN to be RF behind it? (DH is 6'2" and keeping him from kissing the dash is key to my spending money on a new seat)
- I've read that the RN doesn't work 3rd row in the 07's but does in the 09's. Is it the top part of the seat belt that moved or the buckle stalk? I was looking at the 09 last time I took my car in and it looked the top looked to be in the same position as mine but maybe I was looking at the wrong end. Just curious if I might be able to FF in the 3rd row - not the biggest worry since it will be RF for a long time and I'll still have a MA that fits but it would be nice.

I'm hoping to go try one in person before ordering online but figured someone on here might be able to answer and save me a lot of time. TIA

Defrost

- how much leg room will my passenger have to give up for the RN to be RF behind it? (DH is 6'2" and keeping him from kissing the dash is key to my spending money on a new seat)

None, as long as you can push the 2nd row seat all the way back.

- I've read that the RN doesn't work 3rd row in the 07's but does in the 09's. Is it the top part of the seat belt that moved or the buckle stalk? I was looking at the 09 last time I took my car in and it looked the top looked to be in the same position as mine but maybe I was looking at the wrong end. Just curious if I might be able to FF in the 3rd row - not the biggest worry since it will be RF for a long time and I'll still have a MA that fits but it would be nice.

We've had one tech who was able to get an XT installed FF in the 3rd row of an '09, and three techs who've found it's incompatible - that's all I know about it. It's a very unique kind of incompatibility; I've never seen it in another vehicle/carseat combination. You can get it rock-solid when you check side-to-side movement, but even a very light touch when checking front-to-back movement pulls the carseat several inches forward on the window-side of the seat.

In the '09 models, they moved the seat belt anchor back, the part that attaches to the vehicle frame under the seat (the buckle stalk is actually in the bight in all models and doesn't contribute to the problem) and possibly made the vehicle seat a bit more upright, but the seat belt retractor is still forward of the vehicle seat. The seat is also made of the same material, and doesn't compress enough to hold the seat in place when checking front-to-back movement.

MaClaire

Great thread!

I just got a 2008 M5 today...yipeeee!!! We're replacing a 1995 Subaru Legacy sedan so you can probably understand my joy.

I'm no carseat expert, so I wanted to run my plan by ya'll.

I plan on installing two carseats in the 2nd row almost all of the time.

Dd1 (4yrs, 40#) is in a FF Marathon. My understanding is that Mazda doesn't have a LATCH wt. limit, so I need to assume 40# as the limit per Britax's instructions. Anything I need to know about installing this seat with the belt? I imagine I won't be able to slide seat back and forth once the seat is installed.

Dd2 (4mos, 19#) is rear facing in a Combi infant seat. Should be straightforward installed with LATCH.

In a few pounds....

Dd1 will get a Graco Nautilus. Anyone know if I can use LATCH with the harnessed seat? If yes, what is the weight limit?

Dd2 will go into the Marathon RF with LATCH.

Any input appreciated!

Karen

Has anyone put a Frontier in the third row? The fact that the RN doesn't fit in the back is an issue for me. I have two XTs and plan on having them a good long time! I suppose I can always leave it in the 2nd row, but I plan on getting one of the new Frontier 85s (assuming it doesn't suck) for DS when he outgrows the RN rfing and give the RN to DD. I know they are planning on changing the install some, but it may be close to the same. I'd like to be ABLE to install a FFing seat back there at some point. Otherwise people would always have to crawl, you know? I suppose it isn't THAT big of an issue, since I only have two kids, but it does suck! Also, how upright can you get the RN in the 2nd row RFing? And how easy was that install? I'd like to be able to pull out my XT on occasion to demo it which I can't do right now because it is very difficult to get it in my Prius without over reclining it. Thanks for the detailed review!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC