RSTV or just take a 'real' seat with me

Lemonade

Heading to my parents' for a week or two. For DS I was considering taking the RSTV I recently got to use in my parents car. He's 36# (naked) and 43". He'd be either center or outboard in their new SUV, which is a Merc ML350 I think.
No big deal because I can fit two extra seats in my car but since I have it, should I go ahead and use it? If I take a seat for him, it'll be a RN65 and I'm taking the CCO for DD.
thx.
ETA: I also have a SGL that I could take since I'll be sitting in the back and able to watch him. I've let him ride in it for short rides (1 mile) a bunch of times and he's done OK.

ADS

DahliaRW

RSTV. Why lug two seats through the airport if you don't have to? You'll have enough other things to carry and 2 kids to keep track of.

Lemonade

RSTV. Why lug two seats through the airport if you don't have to? You'll have enough other things to carry and 2 kids to keep track of.

No airport involved. Just driving 6 hours in my Sienna so plenty of space and no lugging. Does that change your answer?

gsdguenter

Did you/could you ask DS which he would prefer? How old is child in question? I'm on my phone so I can't tell siggy

Lemonade

He's 5.75. But only 36# naked and 43". Small.
Main thing I was worried about is side impact. He will likely need to go outboard because DD will insist on sitting next to me in an unfamiliar car. And I don't want to be in the middle so the driver can see properly out the back window and for ease. It is safe for him to be outboard in the RSTV?

gigi

Isn't he below the minimum weight for the Parkway? I could totally be thinking of a different seat, but I thought the minimum was 40 lbs.

I would use a real seat because my son finds the RSTV uncomfortable for anything but very short rides and also there are too many possible ways to misuse the RSTV for me to be comfortable with my mom using it. But your comfort level may be way different.

Lemonade

Yes, the SGL is 40#. He's probably 38# clothed - and given his age, I'm comfortable with a 2# discrepancy....but keep in mind he's only been allowed in it for 1 mile rides to preschool on slow roads:)
What are the common ways to miss-use the RSTV?

gsdguenter

Hmmm, I find the RSTV very easy to use. I'd ask DS which seat he wants personally if it was a choice between two perfectly safe options.

Lemonade

OK, so I should consider the RSTV 'perfectly safe' even if he's outboard? Will he be able to see out the window OK?

Sorry, I'm being a PITA. I would love to take the RSTV instead of heavy seat but I've never used it before so it's out of my comfort zone at this point. I just need to be told it's OK.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you're ok with the Safeguard/Safety 1st Go, you should be ok with the RSTV. :) Think of it that way.

Lemonade

If you're ok with the Safeguard/Safety 1st Go, you should be ok with the RSTV. :) Think of it that way.

I wasn't OK with the GO. I had one and sold it. But that was the harness.

I'm taking both the RSTV and the XTSL. I'll try the RSTV and see how we do, but have the other as a backup. Yeah, I could have tried it in my car the last few days but that would mean uninstalling his FR80 and I was too lazy to do it.

Thanks for all the help ladies!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would put him in a regular car seat for the trip, but pack the RSTV for possible jaunts around in other cars so I don't have to uninstall my car seat and put it in Grandma's car or whatever.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC