Odyssey EX or Sienna LE?

livsmum

Is one more carseat friendly than the other?

Looking at an '08, max of 40K miles.

Am I correct in thinking they both have power passenger doors?

ADS

luckyclov

For an '08, I'd go with the Sienna. That generation Sienna is super child seat friendly. The 7 passenger has 4 complete sets of LATCH and I believe the 8 passenger has an extra set for that 8th seat (which is a usable seat), but I could be mistaken.

I'm not sure of the previous gen LEs, but I have an '11 Sienna LE and my van does have dual power sliding doors, but it was part of an additional package with some other stuff (according to my window sticker)...it didn't come standard.

Lemonade

My 06 LE has one sliding door. But I think many came with 2. I've been very happy with my Sienna. It's got 41K miles now.

livsmum

For an '08, I'd go with the Sienna. That generation Sienna is super child seat friendly. The 7 passenger has 4 complete sets of LATCH and I believe the 8 passenger has an extra set for that 8th seat (which is a usable seat), but I could be mistaken.

I'm not sure of the previous gen LEs, but I have an '11 Sienna LE and my van does have dual power sliding doors, but it was part of an additional package with some other stuff (according to my window sticker)...it didn't come standard.

I am kind of liking the Sienna more than the Odyssey. Power doors aren't super necessary but would be nice. I have one now on my Montana and have become used to it.

The '08 has airbags for all rows?

Chely7425

We have 2005 Sienna LE and have 1 power sliding door (passenger side). I haven't had any trouble with seat installs so far (radian 3rd row, CCO, Nauti) and even tho I dislike the inherent fact that it's a VAN it is really nice for seats and small people.

livsmum

My 06 LE has one sliding door. But I think many came with 2. I've been very happy with my Sienna. It's got 41K miles now.

Good to know, thanks.

Could you really get 3 adults across the back row? We often take my in-laws and sister-in-law places with us.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I am kind of liking the Sienna more than the Odyssey. Power doors aren't super necessary but would be nice. I have one now on my Montana and have become used to it.

The '08 has airbags for all rows?

Not sure on the power sliding doors in terms of single vs. dual power sliders or standard/optional availability in the Sienna (or Ody). Our '05 8-passenger Sienna LE has a manual driver's side sliding door and an optional passenger side sliding power door which was part of an option package that also included stability control, traction control, and side curtain and front side torso airbags. The 2006 and newer Siennas have standard side curtain airbags for all 3 rows and standard front side torso airbags, while the curtain and torso airbags were optional for the 2004-2005 model year Siennas. Stability control and traction control also became standard at some point in the Sienna but I'm blanking on which model year exactly, probably by the 2008 model year, and possibly earlier. 2005 and newer Honda Odysseys have standard side curtain airbags for all 3 rows, standard front side torso airbags, and standard stability control.

misstj9

My 08 Sienna LE has dual power doors, but no power liftgate (not an option on the 8 seater). I have a friend with single power door on passenger side. So I guess either is option.

I have the 8 seater with 3 middle row seats all having LATCH and I can fit 3 bulky seats across pretty easily. I can also fit 3 adults comfortably in that row, and the middle seat really is quite big/comfy, much more so than the Odyssey's that I've seen.

My backrow always has at least 1 car seat so I have no idea on 3 adults back there, sorry! Back row has LATCH in the middle and passenger outboard, so only the driver's outboard has no tether. So even if you can't fit 3 adults back there, I bet you could fit 3 adults/3 carseats in some configuration in the back 2 rows!

mkmama

I have an '08 Sienna LE....I have no power doors, but thats cause mine is a basic bare-bones model that a rental company bought LOL

Airbags in all three rows were standard in 2008, as was traction control and stability controll (I have all three of those despite lack of automatic lights!).

There is room for 3 adults in my 3rd seat (I have 8 passenger), though its not as generous as the room in the middle row. Its more generous than the room in any other minivan I've seen, but not as generous as if you could stick 3 captains chairs back there, KWIM? When i do 8 passengers in my van, I typically do two car seats in back, with Radian in middle, with 1 adult, then the rest of my adults and my bulkier car seats in the middle row...I can easily fit an adult in the middle 8th seat between my bulky car seats with no space issues, or of course either of the outboard positions in the middle row.

Edited to add: And yes, the '08 Sienna is SUPER car-seat/kid friendly...I've found no compatibility issues yet with any of my seats (I have all the seats in my siggy and an Avenue) and its very easy to install car seats in this van in every position. Not to mention, those middle row outboard seats flip up and out of the way so easily that access to the 3rd row, even for adults, is a non-issue. The only complaint I have is that the LATCH for the middle third row seat overlaps the drivers side third row seatbelt (which lacks its own LATCH)...so I'm forced to do all seatbelt installs for a 3-across in the third row (which I generally do anyways...but I like to have options!).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC