Smallest (installed) infant seat?

sk8nut

Is there a good resource for measurements (in particular space needed between rear and front seat) for infant seats when installed?

Here's the situation. I'm pg with #2. Technically my car is more than large enough to accommodate a family our size (Ford Freestlye), but it only has the two buckets seats, not a bench, and DS has to remain on the passenger side for preschool car-line. We have a Maxi-Cosi Mico from DS that I love for various reasons (mostly related to travel) but to get the perfect install we had to have the passenger seat all the way up and I CAN NOT drive with the driver's seat all the way up! At the moment I'm having a hard time convincing DH that we NEED a different car (want to trade it in anyway), so maybe it's time to start considering a new infant seat - of course that will only postpone trading in my car as I can't imagine a convertible would fit any better.

I'm most interested in the new Cybex so I could still get the travel benefits of the Maxi Cosi - use of my Quinny and the awesome/rock-hard install you get without a base since the shoulder belt goes behind the seat. I guess if push came to shove I could just use our maxi-cosi on trips (in the plane and rental car) and use something else entirely in our cars though.

ADS

Spam

The Aton is probably the smallest infant seat you'll find and it works with your stuff so that's a plus. There's a review of it http://carseatblog.com/10614/cybex-aton-review-easiest-base-to-install/ . She measured it compared to other infant seats.
Cybex Aton: 25 ¼”

Chicco KeyFit 30: 27 ½”

Graco SnugRide 30: 28”

Safety 1st onBoard Air: 28”

The biggest complaint I've heard on the Aton is the canopy is pretty worthless. It's pretty new too, so not a lot have tried it out yet.

sk8nut

Thanks for the info! I went to BabiesRUs yesterday and tried the display in my car. I had my 3 year old with me, alone, and no instructions so I didn't take the time to get the most solid install but I did get the right angle and still had room behind my seat (didn't measure but probably a good 2 inches even)! I'm soooo excited! Now to decide which color I want, lol.

I also have to say, I love the ease of the base install (even though I didn't play with it too long). If I hadn't read so many blog reviews of it I probably wouldn't have been able to figure it out even remotely without instructions - but that can be an advantage too I guess as it should MAKE people read them (I hope).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC