Explorers?

emntheboys

So now that #3 is here, we've been looking to upgrade into a larger vehicle. Minivans are out because we NEED 4wd and something with a little higher ground clearance. I've been lusting after Pilots, but they are few and far between here and they usually either have really high miles or are $$$$.

DH is trying to convince me to look at a 2008 Explorer. We found one that has 35k on it and is $3000 less than the 2008 Pilots with 75k on them.

Also, the closest Honda dealer is 40 miles away for service whereas we could get the Ford serviced here in town.

Anyone have any experience with the newer Explorers? Anything I should know about them? Do they have any known problems? How many sets of LATCH, top tethers, etc? Any incompatible seats?

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
We have a 2006 Explorer (so same generation) and haven't had any issues with it. It now has about 135k miles on it. Ours is 4WD and we occasionally pull a boat with it. The day after we got it, it snowed, so DH took it to work instead of his light-in-the-hind-end truck. He said cars were slipping and sliding everywhere but he didn't have one problem. Between having 4 wheels working to catch the traction and the stability control thing, it was fine.

As far as car seat installation goes, I've had a couple of issues. First, the rear headrests aren't adjustable and tilt slightly forward. You *can* take them off, per the manual, but DANG it's difficult to do.

Radians are completely incompatible FF, and have the SL LATCH issue RF. I could get mine pretty upright with a seatbelt RF. It's hard to find a RF tether spot, but it's possible. It's just not your typical spot.

True Fit RF is easy with LATCH, fairly easy with seatbelt outboard, and difficult center. Pretty easy FF everywhere, although I do think I remember having to remove one of those buttons for it.

MyRide is easy RF and FF.

ProSport is pretty easy everywhere. I have it driver's side outboard, and it *just* fits between the plastic casings of the hinges for the seat to fold. In fact, those are your biggest obstacle to any 3-across. I can get 2 seat side-by-side driver's side and center, but not passenger's side and center.

3rd row seats are hard and flat, but I can ride back there comfortably for up to an hour, I'd say. (I'm 5'7"). Seat installation there just takes some time to find the "sweet spot" since there's not a lot of padding to compress. I've had a Regent and a True Fit back there together, so there is plenty of room.

There are top tethers in all 5 rear seating positions, so that's awesome.

Anything else you wanna know?

V

VanIsleMommy

do you need something built on a truck frame? I test drove the 2011 explorer and didn't like it. the one I had was loaded with features but even that didn't sway me. the vehicle felt sluggish and heavy while driving, and the two side beams in the front create HUUUUUUGE blind spots. I don't know about installing seats, but for me it seems awfully high to get kids in and out. I have no idea how you would get to the third row with car seats installed if you get third row.

as for the pilot, I test drove a 2007 and absolutely LOVED it. but they're very expensive, even used you're not going to find one very cheap even with high mileage. hondas are great and the Pilot would be my #1 choice.

but seating for three I think there are better options than the explorer for sure :)

edit: Latch and tethers, I beleive explorer has latch and tethers in both outboard positions, not sure about center, I know the honda pilot has latch in both outboard and tethers in all seating positions.

emntheboys

Yep, we're looking at the older generation, there's no way we could afford a new one!!!

The Pilot is still my #1 choice, but it is starting to seem less and less likely that we'll be able to find one within our budget but with lower miles (DH is adamant that it needs to have less than 50k, I don't really care though).

We are trading in our truck so if the new one drives like a truck it probably won't bother me too much.

Jess, is the Radian incompatible FF with LATCH too? My Radian is older, so luckily I won't have the SL issue (unless I decide to get one of the new ones :p). The 5 top tethers surprises me, that is awesome!

I'm going to go check it out tomorrow. I also need to feel them out on our trade b/c that could really make or break the deal.

Thanks for your input!

jess71903

Ambassador
Yep, incompatible totally. You can get it tight side to side, but the bottom pulls forward. Now, I will say that I don't remember if I tried with the seatbelt with and without the recline, and with LATCH with and without the recline. I can't remember which combinations I did. You might try it. It might also be different with the non-SL strap, as I can't remember if slippage was a problem. I got rid of my Radian, so I can't try it for you.

emntheboys

Thanks! I'll have my Radian with me tomorrow, but I'll also have the baby so I probably won't have too much to mess around with seats. If she cooperates, I'll have to try it out. That's kind of a bummer because we already have an older Explorer and the Radian installs like a dream both RF & FF in all positions!

V

VanIsleMommy

you might want to check out chevy and kia as well. also compare the prices vs buying new... for example the mazda dealership near me is offering new 2011 mazda vehicles at 0% financing over 84 months... low payments! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC