School Bus and Child Falling off seats

TyAndCheyMommy

My DS is 5yo and started k this year.
This is his second day riding the bus, and he came home crying. He has a bruise on his arm and said he hit his head.
He fell off the seat on the school bus.

I am not sure what to do. Should I try and find out from the driver what happened? Should I go ahead and just call the principle (or superintendent is who we have dealt with before)?

ADS

tam_shops

I'm so sorry! Been dreading when my guy starts in September (well for years now! LOL), never occurred to me he'd actually be falling off the seats, more that there would be an accident and...

Personally, I'd start by asking your son what happened? Where was he sitting? How was he sitting? What was he doing? etc Then, I'd discuss that with him.

Then I'd go to the school bus driver and see what he had to say about it. I wouldn't be surprised if the driver had little or no clue, but I'd go there. Depending on the response there, I'd take it up w/ the bus company, not the principal. Here, the principal would just defer you to the bus company...

tam

TyAndCheyMommy

He sat on the seat with our pastors daughter. She said he was just sitting there talking and the bus turned and he fell off the seat.
The principle is who hires the bus drivers. There isn't a bus company.

4boysmom

Er is he low tone? Was he sitting correctly in the bus or maybe on his knees or something?? I am not sure how that happens unless there is something 'wrong' with the kiddo. Kiddo should be able to "brace" for a turn unless there are extenuating circumstances. Was he the only one to fall off the seat? Can he sit on the window side if his tone is too low to be able to compensate for turns?

TyAndCheyMommy

Tone is fine. He is autistic, so I am not sure he really even understands fully.
In the mornings he rides a van to school in a harness. At night he rides the bus.
Would it be crazy for me to try and get the school to put a harness for him?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't think that would be crazy, though you might be prepared to at least share the cost.

I'm guessing that the issue is that it takes a certain amount of concentration and situational awareness to keep your seat on a bus when making a turn or stop. If he doesn't have that level of awareness, and he may not, being autistic, his brain works differently and he processes sensory input differently, then he needs a harness to keep him from falling when that happens, since he can't do it himself.

jenrose

Shiny is six and they put her in a harness because if they don't, when she gets to school 40 minutes later she will be naked, sitting in a puddle of pee on the floor and very happily eating someone's school books.

They don't charge me, if the kiddo is special needs and needs a harness to be safe on the bus, the school has to provide it, in the US. Federal law.

She's physically capable of sitting in the seat, but her balance isn't good enough to keep her in it, and her cognitive ability is in no way up to staying on task for a 40 minute bus ride without supervision.

mama_katz

Could something transportation related be added to his education plan? My son's IEP states that he rides a special needs bus with a safety attendant and a secure seating device.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC