Would you buy a CA50 (you didn't need) for $79?

morlando27

I'm finding myself tempted to buy a CA50 on clearance (tags still attached) for $79 DOM 2/22/10. I really don't need it. I already have 5 carseats for 4 vehicles for my rf 34 month old (2 TFs, 2 Uptowns & 1 FPSVD). DS is 30 lbs. I'm not sure of his current height but he's not tall. He's using the 2nd slots (from the bottom) on each of the seats with several inches of shell above his head. My goal is to keep him RF to at least his 3rd birthday but preferably through the winter, when he'll be about 3.5. His current seats should do that, right?

The Uptowns will most likely be outgrown before he's booster ready and the FPSVD expires next year so I'll need to buy at least one more harnessed seat eventually. Should I buy the CA now for the extra 5 lbs rf (current seats all rf to 35 lbs), watch for a deal on a Radian, or wait until the Uptowns are outgrown and purchase combination seats at that time? I have a 7 year old DS as well and don't plan to have any more children to pass seats down to. I think as long as his current seats get DS2 through the winter, when I'll be comfortable ff him if he hits the rf limits of his seat, it probably makes more sense to hold off on purchasing new seats until the Uptowns are outgrown.

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I would if I had the money with no pending bills or upcoming issues. But then again, I have a major issue with saying no to ANY clearance deal, especially car seats LOL

Jan06twinmom

I think you need it:) I would buy it now and replace the seat that will expire next year. I think it would be worth it for the 5 extra pounds and you're probably not going to find a good seat like tha anywhere close to that price again.

Just for the record, you asked a question that most people here would answer yes to! I would consider it even with a 6.5yo who has growing room in two Radians - and has a Regent as a possible hand-me down from her brother.

Melanie

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
NO. I have a CA50 that I've been trying to sell.

RFing with the line level makes it impossible to install anywhere. The 42 inch four year old I watch still has at least two inches above his head but can't RF past 40 inches.

I strongly dislike this seat.

DahliaRW

If it was girly I would buy it for dd and dh would kill me. But otherwise, no, unless you were going to donate it to someone in need.

morlando27

I attempted to measure DS2 last night. I got an overall height of 36" but couldn't get a good torso measurement. Aside from allowing him to rf through the winter my other consideration is whether the carseat will fit next to DS1's booster, particularly once ff.

My car (2000 Pontiac Bonneville) only has a lap belt in the center so I'd prefer to install DS2's carseat there, leaving an outboard seat available for a passenger. My MIL's car (2009 or 2010 Chevy Impala) has a lap-shoulder belt in the center and has a roomier back seat but she has another adult riding there often enough that we'd like to keep DS2's carseat in the center seating position in her car as well. DS1 is in a Vivo in my car and ProBooster in MIL's. Would a ff CA50 puzzle next to a Vivo or Probooster?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC