Which seat are your 3+ year olds ERFing in?

Little Ps Mama

DS1 is ERF in a MR. He has around an inch left which may take him pretty far into three but only time will tell. We have a CA but he complains about being uncomfortable every time he is in it and never complains in the MR. At this point I am thinking I will turn him FF once he outgrows the MR but was wondering what you all have your older ERFers in.

ADS

Chely7425

My almost 3.5 year old is in a Radian with about an inch of growing room. We will turn him FFing when he outgrows it (he has a nauti waiting) or when our next baby is born, whichever comes first.

rxmommy

She's not there yet, but she will be ERF at 3 in a True Fit Premier. She's pretty close to DD2's growth pattern and she wasn't 35lbs until 4 so I'm not too worried about the weight limit. She's super short and has miles to grow!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We usually end up in the Radians by about 2.5 or 3. The now-4yo moved from the MR around 3 into a RF RN and actually I have a second RN that he's now FF in. I like it ok as a FF seat, so if I had a 3yo outgrowing a MR, I would probably do a RN for rf and then ff use, then eventually do a dedicated booster. I tend to prefer dedicated boosters to combo seats, though, so that might sway my decision.

rachelandtyke

At 3+ (3-4y4m) DD ERF in a Blvd65.

When DS turns 3, he will probably be ERF in a TF. The Blvd expires in less than a month. :(

LuvMyCharlie

DS is in a MultiTech with heaps of growing room. He's 43.25" tall at 4 years old. He can barely, and I mean BARELY squeeze into a Radian RF if you go by the 1" from top of shell. If you go by the 1.5" that some SKJP reps are saying, he does not fit RF by height anymore. He's 41 lbs. ftr.

lanwenyi

DD turns 4 next mth.

She rides rfing in 2 Radian XTSLs and in DS's TFP when she can convince him to switch with her ;) She appears to have outgrown the Blvd rfing (and hates it anyway, so she doesn't ride in it). She is super close to outgrowing her Avenue rfing, but will continue to ride rfing until she hits that 1" mark.

In short: Radian XTSLs, TFP, Avenue

Phineasmama

DD was RF in a Radian 80SL until just before her 4th birthday.

DS is 2.5 and RF in either a Marathon or True Fit. I will probably turn him once he hits 35 lbs but that will be a little while yet.

mommycat

DS2 is just about to turn 4 and still fits in his MR RF (it was getting fairly close though; we just turned him last month when I needed a 3across to fit). He lasted in that a lot longer than I expected, I think that as typical for that age he started to grow more in the legs. He would still fit RF in the Radians (if mine went past 30lbs) and the TF (he has another 2-3lbs to go) but he now rides FF full-time.

IIRC, the typical/average growth rate for toddler/preschool aged kids (YMMV) is about 2-3" a year with about 1" of that in the torso.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/growing/childs_growth.html#a_What_s_Normal_
After age 1, a baby's growth in length slows considerably, and by 2 years, growth in height usually continues at a fairly steady rate of approximately 2½ inches (6 centimeters) per year until adolescence.

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/weeklyquestion/a/032002_ask.htm
2 years - quadruples birth weight and then gains about 4-5 pounds a year
9-10 years - increased weight gain as puberty approaches, often about 10 pounds a year
2-3 years - grows about 3 1/2 inches a year most children will double their birth height by 3-4 years of age
3 years to puberty - grows about 2 inches (5cm) a year

http://parentingliteracy.com/parenting-a-z/34-physical/49-judyinnyc
(for 2-11 year old growth)
the legs now grow faster than the torso

ninejr

She will turn 4 in two weeks and is in a radian she has about 3 lbs to go before she has to be forward facing.

hrice

Colton is RF in several Radians. He has lots of leg room in it and will probably be able to stay RF until 5 or so. No complaints from him. He hasn't complained about any seats though. Here is a recent pic.
9f5a6940.jpg

teekadog

My oldests (is that a word?) rfed in classic MA until they were 4.5yo.

My beloved MAs expired and I went with a RadianXTSL to rf my 3yo.

I was not in love with any of the choices I had to replace the MA, and am not in love with the Radian. If I could I would get a MT and I'm curious to see the new Foonf, but I don't think we'll ever be in a position to replace the Radian. My consolation is that I'm sure dc3 will be able to rf longer, and then we'll pass the Radian onto the new baby (we'll be using a CCO fro birth until then for him/her).

ElfJewel

My 3.5 and 5.5 year olds are RF in Radians. They still fit in the MyRide and Scenera but there isn't much growing room.

Pixels

Radian XT, Radian 65, and Avenue are installed at the moment. I just got a MyRide for when the baby outgrows the bucket but DD seems to be in love with it :rolleyes: so she will probably ride in it for a while, too. She still has oodles of room in all her seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC