Anyone use thr Frontier in booster mode?

jenfrogmom

Ds maybe has 2" max in his Frontier harness. He has grown about 1-1.5" in torso in the last month! I am just getting a little info (for the future) on boosters. I really want to keep him harnessed as long as I can, but that might only be through winter at this rate. So, do you like it in booster mode, or would a person be better off buying something like a Parkway SGL? Or, should I keep it and use it in booster made and order the SG thing? Thanks. :)

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
If he just had that big of a torso growth spurt, it's not likely he'll have another for some time. I would expect that 2" of torso room to last you well over a year...

hrice

My booster experience with the FR85 has been scewed because I had issues with the headrest slipping. Britax replaced it...twice. The last replacement they sent me a SICT which I haven't tried in booster mode yet.

We also had issues with the way the seat belt routed through the belt guide in my Yukon. It liked to slip out of the guide. It's a crazy wide seat to buckle around and can be a pain if it is next to another seat. DS liked it and was really comfy in it. I much prefer the Monterey as an every day seat though. Overall, I like it (though you wouldn't get that from my previous comments) but it is not my first choice as a booster.

Here is Dustin in the FR85 in the third row of my Yukon. PITA back there because the seat belts are short and the darn thing locks every.single.time with a HBB.
f08a4d67.jpg

Kat_Momof3

do you have a slide guard clip now, jen? because if you like the slideguard, remember you can get one and use it with the frontier 85...

from what I've seen in other threads (and Joolsplus3 is the main one I'm thinking of) of people's pics of the frontier in booster mode... it is just freaking awesome. I don't know how well it does for small booster riders, but for kids outgrowing the harness as your son is, it provides a great fit.

to see if the same holds true for your child, why not test him in it as a booster... don't remove the harness, just sit him in it, thread the seatbelt, and see how it fits... if it works, you can cross that worry off your list.

LuvBug

DS just spent a few weeks in his as a booster and he really liked it a lot. He didn't have any trouble buckling it, but he is also 8. I liked having it installed in the car with the complete LATCH system and he fit really well in it. You can also order the SG strap to use in it as well.

If it weren't for the fact that my car has a low sloping ceiling then we would absolutely be continuing to use it until outgrown. Apparently my new car's ceiling slopes at such an angle that I can only adjust the headrest up 1 click, so that doesn't do any good.

I did worry about the seatbelt through the belt guides at first, before we started using it, but once installed for booster use the vehicle seatbelt worked well with it.

jenfrogmom

I would def order the SG before using it full time. Here is a pic, The headrest can go down some I think. What do you all think?
IMG_2843.jpg

Kat_Momof3

oh yeah, the headrest could go down... but that's a fantastic booster fit... I think him being on the younger side and just outright tall means the SG clip will give him an extra reminder (especially as it is a deep seat) and give you some piece of mind.

watch him... when he only has 1" left, I'd convert one and use that one to get some practice in as he finishes up outgrowing the other... but hopefully, that won't be for at least another year...

jenfrogmom

So glad we have a little time before we have to actually booster full time. I hope to get him to a minimum of 5-5.5 years old. Fingers crossed!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC