Legs hanging off the side of rear facing seat - problem?

Angela

I had a parent tell me last night that her pediatrician said that her son should be rear facing until he starts to throw his legs over the side of the seat. I know this isn't an issue, since I've seen so many pics on here of ERF kiddos with their legs hanging off. I can see where the pediatrician is coming from because what happens in a side impact? Wouldn't it be possible that they would break a leg? I was stumped what to tell her last night. Does this concern anyone else? I know it is SO much safer for the spine for a child to ERF, but how do we answer concerns about legs hanging off?

ADS

Pixels

Sure, it's possible that the kid will break a leg rear facing. The kid could also assume the same posture FFing and not only break their leg, but also be at significantly increased risk of internal decapitation.

Internal decapitation trumps broken leg.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I tell my daughter not to hang her leg over the side next to the door. She doesn't always listen, but I'm not going to turn her FF because of it. And for what it's worth, my boostered son sticks his leg between the seat and the door a lot, too, so direction doesn't necessarily solve the problem.

luckyclov

Anything is possible, I guess.
But the alternative has a much longer and scarier "risk" list and potentially irreversible.

So, sign me up for the broken leg. All day long. For as long as possible.

jnamommy

My dd hangs her legs over the side of her seats. In the van and the expedition, she is outboard. I accept that she could end up with a broken leg in a side impact collision. I am willing to take that risk for the huge benefits of RFing. Broken leg....cast for a while, maybe PT, but not life threatening or life altering.

emtb79

My nephew used to hang his legs over the Nautilus all the tip and put them up on the door all the time.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Arms and legs go flying in a crash. Doesn't really matter where they start out, though I can see it possibly being a greater risk of getting crushed if they're outboard in a side-impact. But like someone else pointed out, they can do the same thing FF. :confused:

lovemybabies924

That's why I got an advocate instead of a radian so babies legs are contained and ds who is outboard is in a frontier so his lags can't reach to hang over by the door... But my anxiety makes me think like that

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Angela

This family had a MA70 and a Scenera. So I really don't foresee it being a problem, but I wanted to make sure I was prepared in case it comes up again. :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The Advocate has taller sides, so it's harder for kids to throw their legs over. The Radian essentially has no sides in the seat area, so it's much easier.

bnsnyde

My concern is my 3.5-year-old does that and the van door could close on her leg. I mean, it's supposed to stop, but still.

She is still RF (and will be) but I always try to be careful with the door!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC