Question WWYD....ERF or FF

Jessica61624

I have a manger who's been asking car seat advise. I've known her before she was my manager but not outside of work. She's been pretty receptive from what I've told her so far. Her daughter just turned two in July and of course she's ff. We've discussed ERF and she didn't seem too interested. Her dd is 37 inches and 25 lbs I think.

So she told me she took her to the store and the tallest seat was the alpha omega elite :rolleyes:
I explained its not and it makes a horrible booster. So she needs a second seat and she asked for my help because her other car doesn't have latch and she doesn't know how to install with a seat belt. I recommend a nauti but I'm having second thoughts. I hate seeing a 2 yr old in a ff seat. Should I send her some info on ERF or just leave it alone?

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've never seen an over two year old RFing in real life. When talking to parents, I mention how it is safer, but if they're over two I don't push it. I am SHOCKED to see 11/2 year olds and up RFing.

You could definitely mention it again, but there's nothing you can do if she chooses not to ERF and a Nautilus is a seat that would last a while, which seems like her goal.

Jessica61624

Kac said:
I've never seen an over two year old RFing in real life. When talking to parents, I mention how it is safer, but if they're over two I don't push it. I am SHOCKED to see 11/2 year olds and up RFing.

You could definitely mention it again, but there's nothing you can do if she chooses not to ERF and a Nautilus is a seat that would last a while, which seems like her goal.

I think I'll just send her joels story and let her know either way I'll help her. I know its really rare to see 2+ ERF. I feel so bad for her. She's never let her daughter ride in her legacy because it doesn't have latch. She thought you couldn't use a seat belt.

An Aurora said:
I'd say "If you would like to RF, look at the (CA, MR, EFTA, whatever) otherwise check out the Nautilus and Maestro."

I'll mention them to her. Do you think the nautilus is easier to use than the maestro? She looked at the nauti and was confused by the plastic covers on the back. I had a nautilus and I don't remember it being hard to rethread.

Does anyone know if a 2000 Subaru legacy has top tethers? She hadn't checked in her manual yet but didn't see them she said.

Cryssy Jane

Jessica61624 said:
Does anyone know if a 2000 Subaru legacy has top tethers? She hadn't checked in her manual yet but didn't see them she said.

Yes. All three locations supposedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

WhatAboutPuppy

It most certainly does have them! They are located on the ceiling nearer the rear hatch and aren't marked with the universal anchor markings but once you point them out to her she can't miss them. All seating positions have shoulder belts and automatic locking retractors (and ELR also of course).
RF past 1 is quite common at my day care center, parents are quite receptive to me and also there's been a great handful that have the knowledge on their own.
I've found it "can" be easier when giving advice to also talk with certainty, like it's just what's done now. If that makes sense (along with joel's story)... When you give seat commendations for RF tell her the RF weight limits for the point that car sat manufacturers want your child rear facing longer.
A radian is a joke in that car, short of standing in the seat and pressing your back against the ceiling while someone pulls the belt tight (like Judi or my ex) you won't get an install. Also, it must be installed center if anyone over 5'6" plans to occupy a front seat. This also rules out the CA and TrueFit.
My best success rf in that d***** subi was a Britax... The base allowed for a great upright install, it was super easy to find a RF tether point and the lock-offs made it so I didn't have to lock the belt and then deal with the slow tilt of the seat over time. A close second was the EFTA... it did take a pool noodle outboard but fit well. The 2000 Outback had a stupidly small back seat with no leg room in my opinion. Unless the CS can install upright (and a base seemed to REALLY help) you're going to compromise a poop-ton of front seat room.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited by a moderator:

gigi

That's too bad about the 2000 outback being so difficult...i had a 96 Legacy and it was the easiest car ever for installs (no headrests though so everyone else in the back seat was unsafe LOL).

I have a Maestro and it is super easy to install. I've had it in about 10 vehicles and never had an issue (all seat belt installs). The belt path is also really straight forward so it would be pretty logical for a novice.

My 4 yo says/acts like it is very comfortable too.

WhatAboutPuppy

We talked a little today and she's most likely getting the maestro. I was wring she's got an outback. Is that different?

Oh gosh... I'm sorry. I read that in the first place. I suck. lol
I had the 2000 Outback. So, sadly, it just better fits what I was sharing my experience on. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC