Kiddy Shield weight

AtTheSouthDam

From their face book:

"Kiddy USA Amanda and Elizabeth - I'm not sure what happened but I responded to your question and now it is gone...weird! Anyways, the weight limit will be 40lbs with the shield and 110lbs without. At the moment we are concentrating our efforts on getting the Kiddy World Plus over the US market. Looking at increasing the weight limits will be something we can investigate afterwards. I hope this answered your question."

Darn it :( I may need another kid....

ADS

lovemybabies924

Dang! My kid is 35lbs and no where near booster ready at almost four!

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Dang! My kid is 35lbs and no where near booster ready at almost four!

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Would a child need to be "booster ready" to use this seat with a shield?

Would it make a good next seat for someone with, let's say, a 4 year old who has hit 35 lbs and has outgrown their 35-lb-RF-limit seat but for some reason didn't want to use that seat anymore for FF (or wanted to pass it down to a younger sibling)?

Is the shield really as safe or safer than a 5-point harness? I'm trying to figure out where this works as far as child maturity goes. I wonder if this could be considered a "combination seat" in a sense, since with the shield it's not really a belt positioning booster.

ETA: Did they decide that this seat can be used with a lap-belt only? (With the shield of course). And does it use/require a top tether like a regular FF seat?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Would a child need to be "booster ready" to use this seat with a shield? No, the impact shield is a restraint that will keep the child in position.

Would it make a good next seat for someone with, let's say, a 4 year old who has hit 35 lbs and has outgrown their 35-lb-RF-limit seat but for some reason didn't want to use that seat anymore for FF (or wanted to pass it down to a younger sibling)? It could. It would make a better seat for that situation if the shield could be used past 40 lbs.

Is the shield really as safe or safer than a 5-point harness? I'm trying to figure out where this works as far as child maturity goes. I wonder if this could be considered a "combination seat" in a sense, since with the shield it's not really a belt positioning booster. Kiddy says it's safer than a 5-point harness. I want to say that there have been studies to back this up but I have not been able to find any of them. It would be like a combination seat that only harnesses to 40 lbs.

ETA: Did they decide that this seat can be used with a lap-belt only? (With the shield of course). And does it use/require a top tether like a regular FF seat? I cannot see why you wouldn't be able to use this with a lap only belt when using the impact shield. I have no idea about the top tether though.

Answers in blue :)

AmandaR

Sad to see this. My 37lbs 3 year old will be too big. :( I was hoping this would be our seat when baby arrives.

luckyclov

My understanding is that increasing the weight on the shield is absolutely on their agenda, however it'll take time and testing, since it's fairly involved and will likely require some redesign to the shield itself in order to properly fit/protect 40+ lb bodies. Their first priority, as of now, is just getting the product out to the US consumers.

I made contact with them last week regarding the weight of the shield and this was the response I received:
Christina - With the protection shield the weight limit is 40 lbs. and without the shield it is 110 lbs. We are working on getting the shield to a higher weight limit however at the moment our priority is getting the product out to our U.S. consumers first. This will be our next step.

Spam

bummer, but hopefully they'll get in the future. Austin is already 42lbs and he *just* turned three.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Hmmm I don't think it would be worth it for a 40 lb limit :(

Not for that price, definitely. I could totally see a few circumstances in which I might use one, but only for a very short time (between RF and 40 lbs) so I wouldn't pay a lot for it.

Now, if it went up to 50 lbs, it might be a really nice (higher end) alternative to a Maestro. 65 lbs, and I may pay the price they're asking (someday) and consider it competition for the Frontier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC