Should I say something? Or give up?

leighi123

Friend of mine just posted pic on facebook of her ds on his first day of school. He turned 4 in June and is in a backless booster (must have recently switched)

He is 43" tall and over 40lbs, and he was just diagnosed with ADHD and autism. The photo was titled "Wild man goes to preschol", and this kid is VERY wild. No way he is safe in a booster, especially a backless.

In the past, she did ask me for carseat info as far as install help and I showed her a few things. She kept her dd rearfacing until she was 15months, and then turned her, but she is using her seat correctly (tight straps, installed right). She turned her FF because of her dh and b/c her dd is a screamer, even though she knows rf was safer.

I'm guessing her ds is in a backless b/c he meets the weight limit, and her dh goes by "what it says on the box". I'm also thinking the preschool might have something to do with it, for ease of dropping off/picking up.

So do I say something? Send her a message or comment on her pic, or just post something on my wall about booster readyness? (this maybe: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=38893 )

Or should I just give up on this one?

ADS

mama2girls

Since she has asked you for advice in the past I would try to talk to her. I would not post it on her wall or some other public place, but I would message her privately. It's likely she's doing it for ease of drop-off at school, so she may not have given it any thought. Do you know what he was riding in before? Did he outgrow something?

Jan06twinmom

I would say something too. It sounds like she has been receptive in the past and that she takes care to make sure her children are safe in the car. (You can compliment her on that!) There's a chance that she has some questions about whether the booster seat is safe for him, especially if she sees him moving around a lot or needing more side support in the seat.

Melanie

leighi123

Since she has asked you for advice in the past I would try to talk to her. I would not post it on her wall or some other public place, but I would message her privately. It's likely she's doing it for ease of drop-off at school, so she may not have given it any thought. Do you know what he was riding in before? Did he outgrow something?

I know he got another harnessed seat when he hit 40lbs (he wasn't 3 yet), but I'm not sure which one it was, I'm guessing he is 45ish lbs right now, he is quite a bit bigger than Levi!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I agree about saying something to her gently in private. I'd approach it from the standpoint of "I saw your ds' picture on facebook. Just wondering how you're finding having him in a booster seat? It's so important for kids to sit still in boosters and sometimes kids have difficulties when they switch from harness to booster - it's like the freedom makes them get more active or something. Have you noticed anything?"

That opens the door to her - you know the kid so you know that the ability to sit still is an issue. If she says he's an angel, then I'd just drop it - you've planted the seed and she's obviously in denial. If she comments on him unbuckling or how he won't stay seated or just seems generally hyper, then it opens the door and you can have a nice conversation with any luck.

With his special needs, he's not just like "any other kid" out there, and most boosters do have wording in the manual about belt fit and if the child can't sit still then to not use the booster and get an appropriate restraint. If he's active and moving around, then manual is on your side - and mom's side if the dad disagrees...

Best of luck to you. Hopefully it goes well.

lourdes

Same thing happend to me today when I went to pick up my DD from preschool, my DD is 3, when I was passing by another parent I coudn't resist to look inside the car "to say hi" and for my surprise her three girls were in backless boosters, the are 7, 4, and 3, I was in shock, my 3yo is ERF!!!! What is wrong with people?????

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC