Vintage mis(un)use!

NatesMamma

Scooter.jpg

The pic is from Reminisce Magazine. Here's the caption:

The vehicle my niece Susan Morton and I are riding is a Sears Allstate motor scooter, purchased when I was 17, in 1952. To save postage, I would ride the scooter eight or nine miles to make the payment on it. It was a good excuse to go for a ride.

The scooter didn’t have many safety features. I came close to wiping out once when the throttle cable broke. The only way to stop was to pull the line to the spark plug to kill the engine.

I kept the scooter about 18 months, selling it when I decided I was more interested in a car.
—Joe Malhoit, Allen Park, Michigan

ADS

Brianna

I'm trying to figure out if it was the baby's responsibility to hold on or if she was strapped to him somehow...

krasota

Or it's just a photo op with her uncle.

My son has sat on motorcycles more than once, but he's never gone for a ride.

luckyclov

Hey, at least my parents had the common sense to stuff me in between the two of them when they took me on a motorcycle as a youngin. I even got a helmet! :p

aeormsby

I'm guessing the baby was just on there for a photo too. Even in the 50's I can't imagine someone putting a baby behind them.

bnsnyde

This is how tons of people ride in China and the baby MUST hold on.
I saw this when I was there.
And the traffic was not exactly tame.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My grandma was telling us yesterday how she would watch her little sisters- she's 14 and 17 years older than them- and when she was 16 she would take her little 2 year old sister to town, and her dad attached a board over the front of her bicycle. She would sit her sister on the handlebars, her sis would rest her feet on the board, and my grandma would pedal the 5 miles into town steering with one hand while she held her little sister with the other so she wouldn't fall! And of course, they didn't have helmets back then... (My grandma turned 90 this past Friday.)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yeah - I used to work with a woman who rode her motorcycle on the highway with her 3yo riding behind her. They both wore helmets, at least. Last time I spoke with her about it, she said she was re-thinking it because the last time they went for a ride her dd kept falling asleep and she nearly had a heart attack reaching back to hold her on and wake her up.

alake

I am split with my girls dad. They are three and five, and he has been exposing them to experiences I wasn't quiet ready for them to be exposed to. Riding the four wheeler, and other not necessarily dangerous things, but things I wasn't quiet ready for them to do yet. I don't know if I made the right decision, I am still up in the air about if I did it correctly, but I took the girls out to my mom and dads cabin, and exposed them to things in the way that I wanted them to be exposed to. I gave them boating safety, they have road in boats many times, but taught them properly how I wanted them to learn. I taught them survival, of if they fell in the water what they were supposed to do. I took them out on our ATV, with helmets. I showed them how I expected them to ride with others, where to hold on, and what not. To end the week we went out on our Seadoo, and went for a spin. I taught them about SOS and other items I wanted them to know. I wish I could have held off on this, but I figured I would try to teach them how my parents taught me.

Lenae

Obviously, he's partially sitting on the baby. That will hold her in for sudden stops, duh.

But really, it looks like a photo op.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC