Would you say anything?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
First, apologies in advance if I don't get back to this thread in a timely manner. I am traveling to visit family and internet time and access is spotty.

My 17yo half-sister is riding in the backseat of a Focus station wagon. No headrests. She is full-grown but tiny (inherited that from the half that is not related to me!) and would absolutely fit in a Frontier in booster mode or Monterey. But she's 17! I very subtly steered the conversation towards vehicles in general and learned that they plan to keep the Focus for a long time.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No, no headrests, and no holes where headrests should be. 2005 (plus or minus a year) Focus station wagon.

If it was as simple as suggesting that she sit on the side instead of in the middle, I'd definitely speak up. They may or may not listen, of course, but I'd speak up.

This is twitchier. It's basically buy a new car or put a high school senior in a highbacked booster.

BrookysMommy

I don't know any teenager thats going to want to ride in a booster, but maybe if you brought up the safety aspect about it. It is just her family car, not with friends so she might be willing to if you bring it up in the right way. Everyone knows with teenagers you can't sound like a know it all or over protective, but you are her sister so maybe she will take it well from you. Who knows but its worth a shot!

Lenae

If you feel you need to mention it, go ahead. But I am 5' 2" myself, and probably would have easily fit in a hbb at 17 years old. However, I would never have sat in one, nor would my parents asked me to.

Perhaps mention that if it's possible, she should try and ride in spots where she has head support, but if they aren't selling the car soon, I guess she'll probably just keep sitting where she already is. It's always difficult to have passengers ride in not as safe seating positions, but sometimes lap only belts and seats without headrests have to be used.

KaiLing

You know, the thing about the head rests thing is that I find it rather non-confrontational because no one knows it, I didn't know it, and I really think it's no one's fault that they don't think about it. I say "oh, you know, I never thought about it, but we *all* need head rests!" a lot. So I think bringing up the head rest issue is possible. Maybe then play dumb and say you're not sure what you could do... wait! How much does she weigh? Whoa, you know what?! This is going to sound crazy, but... Etc. Or leave it at the head rest info, at least you got that out there. Maybe they move an adult who is fully informed to that unprotected position?

lovemybabybug

In Brazil is rare to see a car that have headrests on the bock seats. Even brand spanking new ones. My cousin just bought a 2011 Volkswagen Gol and no headrests in any position :(

bnsnyde

I would have loved a booster at that age. I was odd. I would still want one if it fit.

Maybe that's why I am carseat crazy now.

Is there a crash video of no headrests?

creideamh

I'm nearly 21 and want a HBB so I can sleep against the wings :p

Honestly though, when I was 17 and knew nothing about car seats (schlepping around a few kids including a 2.5 y/o in an old shield LBB, yikes), I would have laughed and mocked whoever said this to me.
I can barely get my 13 y/o cousin to sit outboard where there's a headrest and lap/shoulder belt (vs the center with no headrest and lap only belt.) GOOD LUCK! :)

ElfJewel

Is there a headrest in the front seat? Maybe you could mention that if she is the only one riding it would be safer for her to sit there.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
is there not one in the front passenger? I remember riding in a focus wagon and I remember not having headrests in the back seat but there was one in the passenger seat

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
She does sit in the front when she is the only other person in the car, but my dad and his wife are the kind of couple who do absolutely everything together, so she's in the back quite often.

luckyclov

I was driving behind her and could see half of her neck, and she's about 5'2".
Oy, that makes my stomach antsy.

OK.
I thought about this for awhile and here's what I think I would do.

I think you should make her aware, very aware, of the risk(s) involved in riding in a seating position without a vehicle headrest. But, obviously, do so logically and reasonably. Let her know ALL of her options, which include the FR85 or having a parent ride in back and her up front. And then let her make her own decision.

She's 17. Not quite an "adult", but pretty darn close. Unless she's horrendously irresponsible and habitually makes poor choices, she's probably got a certain level of reason and competence in order TO make her own choices. She should have that right, especially after being informed. In a perfect world, she'd pick the perfect choice (HBB), but, at the end of the day, without the risk/threat of harming others around (or the inability to exercise good decision-making due to an underlying issue), we do, as humans, have the right to make a poor choice.

mommycat

I would say what KaiLing wrote out about all of us needing headrests, and then suggest that they consider trading in the car. Specifically say that you heard them when they said they plan to keep it a long time, but that you were thinking about it and that you are worried about your sister not having any protection from whiplash. I think the likelihood of them using a booster is SO remote. But plant the seed and see what their reaction is. Point out the safety issue and that a new car would be their best choice, especially if she/they ever have friends over that ride with them. And then sneak in a mention that there are boosters available that would stil fit her as a FYI.

Melanie

I have no idea what it's called or where to get it, but I seem to remember a poster here talking about a backrest thing she used in a van so she'd have head support. IIRC, it was a carpool van and the adult poster carried this back piece with her every day.

Maybe that would be an option to give her head support in their own car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC