Question Is this info correct?

BrookysMommy

I just recieved this email from a woman on craigslist about expired car seats and I wanted to know if anyone has heard this..

"Both a firefighter and a safety person from a car seat manufacturer told me that the any car seat that has never been in an accident, recalled, and is in good condition is safe to use. I asked the manufacturer personal why bother to put an expiration date on it at all and she said it's only a precaution in case the car seat is no longer in good condition. The thought is that if the seat us used for 6 years, which is when the expiration is up, the seat will no longer be in good condition. Many times, however, the seat is not used for 6 years. It is used for a year or 2 and then stored. Both parties stated that the criteria listed above is the real deciding factor."

Please let me know!

ADS

lovemybabies924

No, plastic can degrade, anti inflammatory of the fabric wears off, harnesses can weaken... I'm busy but I hope Simone can go into detail! But no no no no and no!

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

BrookysMommy

That's what I told the woman who emailed me. Shes probably one of the people with an expired car seat on the site! I thought my information was correct, not hers. Thanky you!

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
There's also the fact that safety standards change. We learn that some things aren't safe or could be safer. New seats reflect that new knowledge. A lot can be learned in 6 years.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Standards change, technology improves, flame retardant wears off, plastic can degrade or weaken, etc.

A fireman that is not a CPST isn't going to know more than anyone else unless they have taken the time to research. I would love to know who it was and what manufacturer that person works for that said it was okay. The person that told you that is full of it or was given some extremely bad information.

BrookysMommy

I emailed her back asking who she talked to because Im curious too. Its hard to believe the wrong things people try to tell you. But this site taught me better :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC