Cold weather and bucket seat question

Phineasmama

Okay so we are going to be moving to Wisconsin like...next month after the baby comes :eek: I have lived there before but not with kids, and both of mine have grown up so far in GA, it doesn't get very cold here.

What (if anything) should I get for my Aton? I know the Bundle Me things are a no-no, but what about the kind that just go over the top of the seat like a shower cap? Or just use a really warm blanket? Any suggestions for an infant bunting or coat that doesn't interfere with the car seat usage?

ADS

fyrfightermomma

I'm in Wisconsin :)

I just did a fleece jacket or snowsuit (carseat appropriate) and a shower cap over the top when super cold (under like 20 degrees). Over 20, just the shower cap. Even my big kids do Columbia fleece hat and gloves and are just fine In the cold

What area are you moving to? You can pm if you would like

nevaehsmommy

We had a rather frigid winter last season. We used the shower cap thing for about a week. After that we put baby in the seat , buckled her in, and then took a receiving blanket and mock swaddled her (so she could not stick her hands out) then we threw a heavier fleece blanket on top of her. Once the car was warmed up a bit we could pull the fleece off but the baby blanket helped ward off the chill.

Phineasmama

I love fleece jackets, that's what I wore all last winter! I will definitely look for a fleece topper for when it gets really cold.

I was thinking about one of those Hanna Andersson fleece suits for the baby...or maybe I should look at Land's End instead because FIL works there and gets an employee discount :p

Chely7425

It doesn't get cold here (LA) but it got semi-cold back home (WA) but we love the shower cap covers. We just have one from walmart, its water resistant outside and fleece lined.. we get really WET winters here so... yeah.

rachelandtyke

I love the shower cap cover! We don't need it so much where we live now, but it got lots of use where we used to live and on trips to Canada for Christmas with both kids as babies.

cookie123

MN here. The first winter we didn't do a fleece suit. Just clothes, a hat, and a fleece receiving blanket folded in 4 and tucked around the baby, then a fleece cover. Baby was always sweaty. After that, a fleece Columbia in the car seat.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We had lots of fleece outfits for DS his first winter here in Alaska. I would do a long sleeved onesie or a snug cotton Jammie under a fleece Jammie, with hat and mittens and a blanket tucked around him. We also had a couple fleece suits from Columbia, REI and Patagonia that I would put on him.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

momofmany

Thanks for asking this question.

I'm not in WI, but it still gets cold here and I was wondering what folks were doing for the newborns in cold weather.

Emi's Mommy

It gets to be a million below where I live and I did a fleece snowsuit and a shower cap cover. I also keep a fleece blanket in the car as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC