Calling all Massachusetts advocates!

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
There will be a public hearing on senate house bill 2018 relative to child passenger safety on Jun 21 at 11:00am in Room A-2

Here's the info from mass.gov, including info on how to get in touch with Senator Steven Baddour sponsor of the bill:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/185history/s02018.htm

In the Year Two Thousand and Seven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN ACT relative to child passenger safety
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1. Section 1 of Chapter 90 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2000 Official Edition, is hereby amended in lines 331 to 335 by striking out the definition of “Child passenger restraint” and inserting in place thereof the following definition:-

“Child Passenger restraint”, a specifically designed seating system which meets the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards as established in 49 C.F.R. 571.213 which is either permanently affixed to a motor vehicle or is affixed to such vehicle by a safety belt or a universal attachment system.

SECTION 2. Section 7AA of Chapter 90 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out paragraphs 1 and 2 and inserting in place thereof the following new paragraphs:-

No child under the age of eight and measuring less than fifty-seven inches in height shall ride as a passenger in a motor vehicle on any way unless such child is properly fastened and secured, according to the manufacturer’s instructions, by a child passenger restraint as defined in section one.

No child who is not required to be properly fastened by a child passenger restraint as required by the preceding paragraph, but who is not older than twelve years of age, shall ride as a passenger in a motor vehicle on any way unless such child is wearing a safety belt which is properly adjusted and fastened according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

ADS

ThreeBeans

Hey, it's a start, right? I wish they took the 8 out of there and just put the 57 inches though. Most 8 year olds aren't that tall yet.

I'll email the Rep with my support.

cmm7

So, does that mean eight AND 57"? Because that would be great.

Even if it is OR, it sure is a step up from our 5 and 40 lbs. I'm glad they didn't put a weight in there.

Thanks for finding that NHCPSTECH!

ThreeBeans

Of course, this reminds me of the time I went grocery shopping and some guy pulled up in a (new) sedan with three kids (all wearing nice, designer clothes), and not one of them was in a restraint. I'd say the oldest was six, and the youngest was 2 :(.

If we can't get people to follow the pathetically insufficient law we have now, how do we get people to follow a better one?

Hey! I vote tasers and pepper spray!

cmm7

This was today, this was today, this was today!

Someone who is computer literate... is there anything new on it?!?!?!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC