I guess I was TOO convincing.

tjham

A little background:

I have an almost 6 year old granddaughter (in two weeks). Her mom and dad(my son) never married, but the mom and I are good friends. For this one child, we have these car seats:

mom- AF MA,
dad- did have Plat Cargo, now has Radian,
grandpa - FPSVD,
my car - FPSVD, with a Chase and a Bolero as spares.

She is 38 lbs so the Cargo, Chase and Bolero are almost out, even though she still fits *sigh* - oh, to have the Canadian 48 lb limit! Not sure what we'll do about spares then. We do musical carseats a lot as it is.

My son balked when I presented him with the Radian, saying "isn't she about ready for just the seat belt?" Massive amounts of videos ensued, and he is now on board.

So now that said child is (almost) 6 and (almost) 40 lbs. AND starting to go with more other people, I emailed the mom about the possibility of getting one or two good quality boosters to have on hand for short sides. (I just had to install the Chase in DS's new girlfriend's car for DGD.) Said I would help figure out best ones, etc. Talked to mom tonight and she said she is nowhere ready to have DGD in a booster and probably won't be for another YEAR!

I had to chuckle about this because she had actually BOUGHT DGD a booster when she was around 4 1/2 (she was just outgrowing her FP Safe Embrace) and brought her over in it. When they drove up, DGD was sitting happily in the new TB with the belt BEHIND her back! I walked out to meet them and almost fainted! I nicely but firmly explained how BAD that was and about 5 pt harnesses and sent her some videos. She said she felt sick to her stomach that she had put her in the booster. I immediately bought DGD a Marathon and started accumulating all the other seats!

So now that she COULD be in a booster, mom says "no way"!
Ironic, huh? :D

ADS

Jordynsmama

That's great you got her to understand and embrace car safety so well!
It would be great if all people were so receptive. And I can't believe how teeny your GD is. Not even 40 lbs at 6! My dd is a moose compared to these kids :) lol.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Happy Dance! You GO GIRL!!!!

Parkway...an ugly one, so no one WANTS to use it instead of those nice harnessed seats.

:love: Good onya, Grandma!!!!

I agree with the Parkway suggestion; I have (mostly) petite kiddos and currently have my Ds8 and Dd10 riding in them. They LOVE their seats, even though some (most) of their friends think boosters are babyish. In my vehicle, though, they're nowhere near passing the 5-pt. test, so in boosters we trust. :twocents:

I'll add, though, that since the booster would mainly be for riding w/ friends, a "cool" cover (of her choice, perhaps) may make the situation a little more positive for your DGd. :twocents:

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
Massive amounts of videos ensued...

LMAO!!! You must be one of the coolest grandma's on the planet. At least by my standards :D

It seems like I'm always explaining to my kids grandmother's why dd #2 is still RF. Granted, they listen to me and my mom has learned how to install a carseat pretty well in her car, so I know I'm lucky. But it would be so nice to have a grandmother already "on board" with the carseat stuff.

I wonder what kind of grandmother I'll be when it comes to carseat issues. What will be available then? (you know, in 30-40 years ;) ) The poor son-in-law that tries to argue with me and put a 3 year old in a booster :p

wondering1

Cool. My son is almost 5 and I'm definitely not ready for him to be in a booster. The Graco Airbooster has some really nice features and sells for $99.95.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC