"A price to pay for alternative fuels"

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
A price to pay for alternative fuels
BRUCE HENDERSON
Bob Teixeira decided it was time to take a stand against U.S. dependence on foreign oil.

So last fall the Charlotte musician and guitar instructor spent $1,200 to convert his 1981 diesel Mercedes to run on vegetable oil. He bought soybean oil in 5-gallon jugs at Costco, spending about 30 percent more than diesel would cost.

His reward, from a state that heavily promotes alternative fuels: a $1,000 fine last month for not paying motor fuel taxes.

He's been told to expect another $1,000 fine from the federal government.

And to legally use veggie oil, state officials told him, he would have to first post a $2,500 bond...

ADS

lynsgirl

:confused: Dh converted our F350 Powerstroke to run off of both regular diesel and waste vegetable oil [WVO] (dual tanks). We don't have the truck anymore, because we knew we'd be moving where it wasn't feasible at all (i.e. apartment or rental house for a good while) to have the set-up for pumping, filtering, cleaning, storing, etc of the WVO. So am I understanding correctly that we could have been in *trouble* for not paying fuel taxes? For fuel we weren't using? Nice.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have an 81 Chevy Caprice Diesel. I no nothing about converting, but have been wanting to learn. I drive a 2000 Windstar now, and get just under 20 MPG. I spend, between to vehicles, about $180 a week in gas. That is most of my pay check!

UlrikeDG

Amy, from the articles I read, fuel tax has nothing to do with fuel and everything to do with road maintenance. They want you to pay a certain amount in taxes for every gallon of fuel you use, regardless of what that fuel is or where it came from. So, if you are getting fuel (waste oil from a fast food place) for free, you should still be paying $.23/gallon in taxes on that fuel (or whatever the tax rate is where you live), because you're driving on the roads, and the roads must be maintained.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Then the government had better get it's act together and find a way to politely tax biodiesel users for their road use, huh? Poor guy, what a pain in the butt!

UlrikeDG

Yeah, a per gallon tax doesn't make sense for alternative fuel users. Then again, I bet this guy wouldn't have a problem with being required to pay a per gallon tax.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Heh, I had a neighbor like that, though 25 years ago the coolest thing he did was stick the front end of a diesel rabbit to the back end of a vw pickup...took a lot of welding, but got great gas mileage (i don't know if the vw pickups were diesel to begin with, if so, he just made a lot of work for himself for nothing, but it was cool anyway, lol).

southpawboston

Yeah, a per gallon tax doesn't make sense for alternative fuel users. Then again, I bet this guy wouldn't have a problem with being required to pay a per gallon tax.

that guy is ingenious... it just goes to show how easy and truly feasible it is to go electric... if only the auto industry (and big oil) lobbyists wouldn't fight tooth and nail against it.

has anyone here seen "who killed the electric car"? it is a great documentary about how the auto industry, big oil, conspired against the introduction of the mass produced electric car.

Heh, I had a neighbor like that, though 25 years ago the coolest thing he did was stick the front end of a diesel rabbit to the back end of a vw pickup...took a lot of welding, but got great gas mileage (i don't know if the vw pickups were diesel to begin with, if so, he just made a lot of work for himself for nothing, but it was cool anyway, lol).

yeah, i don't know why he did that. the rabbit pickup truck was diesel. unless the rear of the rabbit was smashed and the front of the pickup was smashed; in that case he took the good halves of two cars to make one car. that's done quite often by auto salvage rebuilders. of course, those cars are considered salvaged at that point.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
yeah, i don't know why he did that. the rabbit pickup truck was diesel. unless the rear of the rabbit was smashed and the front of the pickup was smashed; in that case he took the good halves of two cars to make one car. that's done quite often by auto salvage rebuilders. of course, those cars are considered salvaged at that point.

Ah, I hadn't considered that...I'm sure it was the case, he was a frugal and creative kinda guy, to be sure :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC