Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Frontier in a nissan rogue

We just purchased a 2011 Nissan Rogue (admittedly without doing much research), and I'm having trouble with a Frontier (not frontier85) installation. My son was away while we bought the car, so I didn't attempt the install until right before he came back. He's 5 1/2, 45 lbs and about 45" tall. This is the first time I'm installing without LATCH, and I couldn't get a good install with the seat belt (short belt path - the seat belt isn't long enough to try to the long belt path...). The seat is positioned outboard - I have a Chicco Keyfit30 on the other side.

I really love the frontier over any other seat, but it moves way too much from side to side (To use for 2 days, just used LATCH and it's rock-solid). At this point, I am looking at other seats listed on Nissan's snugkids site (), but I'm not loving the idea of purchasing something different. I feel like I shouldn't be using LATCH anymore because of his weight, so I really need to figure something out...whether it's fixing my seat belt install or (sigh) going with something else.

Any suggestions? Any successful Rogue/Frontier installs? I'm really bummed that I may have to stop using the Frontier.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic
    Did you try lbp? I thought my belts were too short but I put some weight into the seat and got it in. I'd try before buying a new seat.

Re: Frontier in a nissan rogue

I thought about that after I tried LBP and gave up and went back to trying SBP.....but when I tried it again no matter how hard I pushed or my husband pushed we were still about 6 inches short and I'm just not sure we can get that amount made up. I thought I read somewhere on these forums earlier that Nissan has notoriously shorter seat belts?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Frontier in a nissan rogue

Nissan defers to the carseat, and the Frontier says 40 pounds unless the car says otherwise. So seatbelt it is. Have you tried him in the center? That belt may be longer.

Otherwise, if he's ready for a booster, that's an option.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon