Pic of Radian LATCH?

littleangelfire

UPDATED Pic in post 14, is something wrong with this Radian's LATCH?

I did a private check last month and couldn't get the LATCH on her Radian to lock onto the LATCH anchor. When I looked at the Radian LATCH, it looked odd to me, not like others I've seen. Almost looked like the part that was supposed to open up and then clamp down was stuck in the open position if that makes sense. Would anyone that has a Radian be willing to post a pick of a radian LATCH? If you could post both open and closed that would be great. She got the seatbelts fixed in her Sprinter and the Radian still isn't going in well so I'm supposed to check again next week and I want to be able to know if there's something wrong with the LATCH on it or not.

TIA!

Last edited:
ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Open:

2011-08-12%25252015.44.33.jpg

2011-08-12%25252015.44.40.jpg

Closed:

2011-08-12%25252015.44.15.jpg

2011-08-12%25252015.44.24.jpg

I had to push really hard with a key to get the LATCH to activate and close. I haven't used it in my car before so I cannot say how much force I would need it to engage on a LATCH bar.

littleangelfire

Thank you! So maybe I just wasn't pushing hard enough, b/c that does look about like hers looked, I believe. I couldn't get it open at all, but maybe I just need to press harder.

AJCard

CPS Technician
You shouldn't have to push too terribly hard to get it to click. I've noticed that if I'm not *right* dead center when I push on the anchors in DH's car, it won't click. Maybe make sure you're hitting it straight (if the anchors are hidden).
Just my two cents.
Good luck!

littleangelfire

That's helpful, thanks. The anchors aren't too badly hidden, but I was trying to hook it from a pretty steep up above angle, from standing behind the RF Radian, maybe I should loosen the strap all the way and hook it sitting next to it or something.

AJCard

CPS Technician
That may help. I seem to have better luck if I have lots of slack. They'll click right on and then you can do what you need to do to get a tight install.
I find it helpful to un-Velcro that little slit on the cover and pull the strap straight up through there, too.

littleangelfire

That may help. I seem to have better luck if I have lots of slack. They'll click right on and then you can do what you need to do to get a tight install.
I find it helpful to un-Velcro that little slit on the cover and pull the strap straight up through there, too.

Yeah, last time I didn't even get far enough to tighten the strap, it wouldn't hook onto the LATCH anchor. I'll try again! Not that we can't use seatbelt, of course, but she seemed to like LATCH so I wanted to see if I could help her get that to work. We shall see! Really helps knowing what it's supposed to look like, though.

CrazyBoysMamma

One of my Radians does the same thing, in all cars. It gets stuck open and no matter how hard I shove it doesnt latch on. For me it's kind of a non issue anyway because I don't trust the LATCH after finding it loose so many times...

littleangelfire

OK, interesting. I'm glad you guys said something so I know that it has happened before. That sounds exactly like what was happening - I could push it on and on the LATCH anchor all I wanted (and I will try a different angle) but I never felt a click or anything like I'm used to letting me know it was hooked on, and if I then pulled on it it'd come right off again.

mkmama

Also....I've found in my vehicles that sometimes I need a different angle to get it to click. So play around with the angle you're trying to hook it at...might be something interfering.

littleangelfire

Here is a pic:
download

I couldn't get it to click on the LATCH anchor in her van for anything, no matter the angle, though I could get the other end of the LATCH strap to go on. It looks like this one is permanently in the open position, doesn't it? I wanted to check here before I suggested she send a pic to SK.

Jessica61624

littleangelfire said:
Here is a pic:

I couldn't get it to click on the LATCH anchor in her van for anything, no matter the angle, though I could get the other end of the LATCH strap to go on. It looks like this one is permanently in the open position, doesn't it? I wanted to check here before I suggested she send a pic to SK.

It's not locking when attached to the back of the seat either?

littleangelfire

It's not locking when attached to the back of the seat either?

No, that one is not. the other one is, but not that one. I can hear an audible click when I hook the other one either to the vehicle anchor or the storage slot on the seat. Not this one, I shoved it in there nice and tight. And we actually moved that seat so it's now forward facing using seat belt, so at least there's no danger of it going flying anywhere.

Dillipop

There's no pic showing for me.

I think she should call SKJP and let them know that her latch isn't working.

littleangelfire

There's no pic showing for me.

I think she should call SKJP and let them know that her latch isn't working.

oops, I'll fix that. And I had told her about calling/emailing SKJP, was hoping to get confirmation here first that something really is wonky.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC