Leasing a new, cheap car for a small family

SeattleRain

We're a 1 car family currently and have been for our whole marriage (we have a Subaru Impreza) but my husband is going back to school which will require a 2 hour round trip commute every day. We are broke and have no money towards a down payment (since we're paying for my husband's graduate degree), our parents would prefer that we lease a car and they'll give us the starting money. I think leasing would be perfect for us since we don't really know where our life will be in 3 years, and I don't want to be stuck with a car that doesn't suit our family in the longrun.

It's only me, my husband and the baby, and will stay this way until my husband gets out of school, so I don't need a car that seats more than 5 people. We'd like the lease to be around $200.

What would you get if you were us?

ADS

T4K

Since you are used to a small vehicle, I'd go for Corolla, Civic, or maybe even a Fusion. I usually don't lime Ford but if I knew I didn't have to keep it forever, I wouldn't mind it.

Small vehicles are great on gas, good for parking, and all around smart choices ;-)

SeattleRain

I'd actually prefer something a tiny bit larger than what I have now. My dream would be to have a small SUV, but I don't know if that's out of my price range. I have a really hard time driving the Civic with it's long dashboard, so that's out. What about brands like Kia or Hyundai? It seems like I could get a Hyundai Elantra 2012 for around $150 or less. I've never really heard of them though. What's the deal?

T4K

Elentras are nice. A few years ago they were Consumer Reports best pick of that class.

I would go have fun test driving.

Maybe look at the Santa Fe while you are there.

I'm not a Kia fan.

SeattleRain

Is there a website that you would suggest that would compare these for me, or give me "best picks"? I need a starting point and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. We made some mistakes buying this car and I want to be more informed.

Is there anything car safety-wise that I should be looking for? Things that are preferred over non-preferred?

Mags462

I am almost positive autotrader.com now offers you to look over the lease offers in your area by dealership.... so you can narrow it by price range/brand and see whats available. :)

As for myself i really like the looks of the new Kia/Hyundai sedans.... and they typically have killer deals going since they are still trying to break in to the market and establish themselves......

Mazda 5s are favorites here as well :)

Oh and the Pontiac Vibe is identical to the Toyota Matrix (same parts essentially only one is made in the USA and one in Canada) and sometimes GM runs killer lease/buy deals.....

Good luck!

T4K

SeattleRain said:
Is there a website that you would suggest that would compare these for me, or give me "best picks"? I need a starting point and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. We made some mistakes buying this car and I want to be more informed.

Is there anything car safety-wise that I should be looking for? Things that are preferred over non-preferred?

I like Edmunds. They have road tests, critics reviews, and user reviews. I like reading about what annoys people about cars. Like I hate rattles in cars. Drives me up a wall, so if I read about several reviews that say the car constantly rattles, I scratch it off my list.

cookie123

My friends have rented a Elantra a few times and love it. They want to get one. I sat in the Elantra and the Sonata at the car show and I hated how high the dash was. I felt like I could hardly see over it.

mamaofthree

Dh and I went small car browsing recently and dh test drove the Elantra. Dh loved it and wants one. Funny to hear the high dash comment because while we were driving i asked him "doesn't this dash seem really high?". I was relaxing in the passenger seat, but I'm really short, and now I wish I drove it! What do you mean by long dashboard in the civic? Too high?

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
A 2 hour commute because of miles or traffic? Be cautious with a lease and mileage because there is a penalty for being over mileage. Many leases also require that you put new tires on the car at the end of the lease, at a cost of up to $500-800.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a Civic and had to get used to the dashboard and "invisible" front end, but once I was used to it, I LOVED it!

tl01

A 2 hour commute because of miles or traffic? Be cautious with a lease and mileage because there is a penalty for being over mileage. Many leases also require that you put new tires on the car at the end of the lease, at a cost of up to $500-800.

This is usually only required if the tires are totally bald.

I do agree though about the mileage component. Calculate your needs upfront or else you will pay more in the long run. It is cheaper to add the mileage upfront.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC