Kiddy World shield and FF babies

bnsnyde

I'm just curious.
I keep seeing ad photos of babies FF in the Kiddyworld Shield seats.

If RF is so important to align the neck and spine in a crash...then how are these babies safe FF with the shield? How is the neck protected? I can perhaps see how the spine would be Ok, but the neck is still vulnerable, right?

Isn't RF in any seat safer than FF in one of these seats?
What are they trying to say? Who do they market to?
I'm not understanding something here.

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
The pictures you have seen are from Europe. In the UK, most kids are turned FF at 9 months and many ride in shield boosters which is why seats like the Cybex X-fix fit very small toddlers well. There is a shield available there for the X-fix.

RF is always safer. FF is safer with an impact shield than it is with a 5 point harness. Rather than the head flying forward in a crash like it does in a 5 point harness, the shield supports the entire upper body so it can move as a unit more.

No matter what we do or say there are going to be parents that refuse to RF past a year unless it is made law. I know lots of these parents and no mater how much information I give them they turn those seats around often before their children even meet the requirements to FF. I would much rather see one of those children in a shield booster than a 5 point harness.

Kat_Momof3

exactly.

I do hope Kiddy succeeds in getting the weight limit raised (as they said they are working on) to a 50-65lb limit... but for lightweight kids over 2, this isn't a bad thing... it's safer than a 5-point harness.

it's also good for older cars that have only lapbelts... until they outgrow the shield.

I still wish Britax would bring back the laptop (because kiddy has proved it is possible to make these things latchable... Britax told me it wouldn't be back because all seats have to be latch-compatible)

hedgefun

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what makes the cybex booster with the shield safer than the sheld boosters (I'm primarily referring to boosters likethese) which are not considered safe? I'm assuming it has something to do with the design, but I'm just curious.

CrazyBoysMamma

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what makes the cybex booster with the shield safer than the sheld boosters (I'm primarily referring to boosters likethese) which are not considered safe? I'm assuming it has something to do with the design, but I'm just curious.

The shield is different than the old shield boosters, it's up against the child's body rather than out on a hinge attached to the booster. It kind of hugs the body and spreads out the force. You kind of have to see them...if I remember right it covers from hips basically to armpit level.

hedgefun

The shield is different than the old shield boosters, it's up against the child's body rather than out on a hinge attached to the booster. It kind of hugs the body and spreads out the force. You kind of have to see them...if I remember right it covers from hips basically to armpit level.

That makes complete sense. Thanks!

bnsnyde

OK, makes sense. Since I rear-face a long time I guess we'd never end up using one of these (unless the weight were higher and the harness straps really tall). Thanks! At 5 my son is 46 lbs. (so FF in his Radian) and I'd love to have him in a shield if it fit. He is getting tall though...

I hope they can make it fit bigger kids.

BabyKaykes

bnsnyde said:
OK, makes sense. Since I rear-face a long time I guess we'd never end up using one of these (unless the weight were higher and the harness straps really tall). Thanks! At 5 my son is 46 lbs. (so FF in his Radian) and I'd love to have him in a shield if it fit. He is getting tall though...

I hope they can make it fit bigger kids.

There is no harness. It's a booster, and as such it uses only the vehicle belt.

I, too would live to see the weight limit go up on these.

soygurl

:yeahthat:

These shields are also made out of energy absorbing material (think EPS foam, or similar), rather than the hard plastic the old ones were made out of.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
FF is safer with an impact shield than it is with a 5 point harness. Rather than the head flying forward in a crash like it does in a 5 point harness, the shield supports the entire upper body so it can move as a unit more.

I'm not trying to be difficult :eek: but do we know this? As in, do we have data that shows this?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If something like that would allow me to put a 45-60 lb kid (or bigger!) safely in a lap belt, I would buy it in a heartbeat! Even better if it would hold kids in a shield who are too big for a Radian.

It's not useful for me now, but I'll be keeping my eye on future models. :)

Pixels

Kiddy was asked about raising the minimum age or weight. They said they had absolutely no intentions of doing so, because according to them, their seat with the shield is just as safe as RFing. I absolutely do not believe that.

CrazyBoysMamma

I'm not trying to be difficult :eek: but do we know this? As in, do we have data that shows this?

I'm not sure about data, but it makes a lot of sense if you picture how they would move. In a harness the shoulders are pretty pinned back, and the head moves forward, but with the shield they kind of arch around it (picture hugging a beach ball).

I wish I could get one of these seats for my sister who is absolutely positive that RF past 18 months is dangerous...:banginghead:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Pixels said:
Kiddy was asked about raising the minimum age or weight. They said they had absolutely no intentions of doing so, because according to them, their seat with the shield is just as safe as RFing. I absolutely do not believe that.

Yes. I don't know if their tune has changed at KIM, but at Lifesavers the rep was making a big deal about how a one-year-old is just as safe FF in their seat as RF because of the shield.

I can believe that a shield might be better than a harness for FF, but I can't accept that any kind of FF is safer than RF. :thumbsdown:

Kat_Momof3

the data has been crash test videos (and numbers in terms of head excursion and such taken from crash tests)

I agree... ff is just never safer than rf... but I get what they are saying in terms of "as safe"... but with the aap's new recommendation, they better change that tune and say a TWO year old.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure about data, but it makes a lot of sense if you picture how they would move. In a harness the shoulders are pretty pinned back, and the head moves forward, but with the shield they kind of arch around it (picture hugging a beach ball).

the data has been crash test videos (and numbers in terms of head excursion and such taken from crash tests)

I agree... ff is just never safer than rf... but I get what they are saying in terms of "as safe"... but with the aap's new recommendation, they better change that tune and say a TWO year old.

To me, this is kind of like the harness vs. booster for older kids (6 and up, say). Some say harnessing is safer, some say boostering is safer, but we don't have any data that strongly shows evidence either way. So we should be careful about saying that this type of shield IS as safe or safer than a FF harness. It may be as safe or safer - but we don't know for sure. :twocents:

AKMom

Ugh! There are soooooo many cars still out there with center lap belt only. I would love love LOVE a Laptop style seat for the over 40 pound set!

Please, someone? Bring one to the US!?!?!?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC